Terraforming: is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

Just as in the topic. Does Imperium still possess technology to turn inhospitable rock into one that can support human life? I'm aware this won't besomething for o lowly gubernor to achive, but given all might of Mechanicum? I haven't find anything about it it the offical fluff, but still can use some opinions.

#2 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I'm quite sure that they did possess the technology to terraform at some point in time. Not really sure if it matter all that much if they still have it, terraforming (usually) takes a long period of time and since the setting doesn't really advance it probably isn't viable to spend to effort figuring out the "official" answer.

#3 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

I would also assume there are a few ancient archeotech terraformers, and even if the Imperium doesn't have it the Eldar certainly do. However it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go through the process of terraforming when you could just drop a void shield on a planet, form a mining colony, strip mine what you want and leave. If you needed a strategic base of operations, build an imperial navy yard (you'd have to anyway). If you actually wanted a new colony world, you just keep looking. There are thousands of uncharted systems in the Expanse, so why go through the problem of converting one planet when you can just find another one that's already what you want?

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#4 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I recall some GW fluff on a battle where a Chapter of Space Marines blew up a climate control facility on some planet's mountain in an effort to eradicate the Ork population that had befallen the human colony - the entire world slipped from spring-like climate into becoming an ice world into a matter of months as the planet devolved into its original state before it was settled. The distinctively remember the machine being described as being from the Dark Age of Technology.

The Adeptus Mechanicus still seems to possess some knowledge of terraforming, but it has become inefficient and unreliable. The Index Astartes article on the Raptors Chapter describes how the AdMech once attempted to terraform their homeworld Jemadal, a jungle planet with an atmosphere "so heavily saturated with moisture that human lungs, even the hyper efficient multi-lungs of a Space Marine, are unable to extract enough oxygen from the air" - but they failed, which is why the Raptors depend on special respirators to move around on their planet.

Ultimately, however, I'd guess it is safe to say that "it depends". In details such as these, you're probably going to get a hundred different answers from a hundred different books.

current 40k RPG character: Captain Elias, Celestial Lions Tactical Marine   
previous characters: Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader frigate Artemisia)

#5 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for all answers. To sum up: rather possible but uneconomic - sound warhammerish enough ;).

As to Erathia question I've got an idea of death-like penal planet, which inhabitants are forced to work towards its terraformation. All in the mood of fighting with elements and soil itself for the glory of Emperor.

#6 Vandroiy

Vandroiy

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Aren't there a couple of references to terraforming tech in the RT core book, or Into the Storm?

My usual rule of thumb for any Imperial Tech that isn't mentioned in the fluff is yes it probably exists, but its going to be bulky, rare, finicky, or expensive.

For a terraformer I would have it be the size of a large factory complex and work by slowly crawling across the planets surface pumping out hundreds of thousands of tonnes of greenhouse gasses, and converting the dust and stone into arable land over the course of decades or centuries. In exchange for the use, and technical expertise the AdMech would recieve a certain percentage of all raw materials harvested from the planet, first dibs on any and all archeotech, xenotech, fossil records, etc, and probably a portion of the planetary surface.

#7 Drhoz

Drhoz

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

They certainly used to - Mars itself had been terraformed, prior to the birth of Slaanesh, subsequent collapse of human civilisation across the galaxy, and eventual rise of the Tech-Priests.

Mars went from uninhabitable, to habitable, and back to barely habbitable.

#8 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

For a close to home reference, look at Percipre in the Calixis Sector.  That's right next door to Koronus.  Fluff makes it very clear that that planet had been terraformed, but the climate is now deteriorating quite badly as the AdMech has lost the know-how to keep the terraforming engines running.  Typical 40K, really.

Here's a web address if you want to learn more about that world:  http://wh40k.lexican...m/wiki/Percipre

Cheers,

- V.

#9 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Vandegraffe said:

For a close to home reference, look at Percipre in the Calixis Sector.  That's right next door to Koronus.  Fluff makes it very clear that that planet had been terraformed, but the climate is now deteriorating quite badly as the AdMech has lost the know-how to keep the terraforming engines running.  Typical 40K, really.

Here's a web address if you want to learn more about that world:  http://wh40k.lexican...m/wiki/Percipre

Cheers,

- V.

Good find mr V.

So they've got Terraforming Engines in DAoT which could do the trick. Yet, what makes me wonder, the planet slipped into frozen hell after their malfunction. I always thought that terraforming is a proces with an end, not a state needing constant support. As V. said - typical 40 K.

#10 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

Wincent said:

Vandegraffe said:

Good find mr V.

So they've got Terraforming Engines in DAoT which could do the trick. Yet, what makes me wonder, the planet slipped into frozen hell after their malfunction. I always thought that terraforming is a proces with an end, not a state needing constant support. As V. said - typical 40 K.

Thanks.  I've spent far too much time wiki-walking on that wh40k.lexicanum site.  You'd be amazed at what is there.  For example, Black Industries published a book titled Guide to the Calixis Sector.  This was before Black Industries folded and GW transferred the 40KRP licence to FFG.  There are a significant number of worlds in there that have yet to appear in any FFG product, Precipre among them.

As for terraforming, if the terraforming engines were pumping out, say, greenhouse gases which had a finite lifespan in the atmosphere, then a failure really could do that.  40K isn't on speaking terms with most science, but that's actually somewhat plausible…  Common greenhouse gases like methane and carbon dioxide do react with an earth standard atmosphere and get purged.  (On Earth, they're constantly being replenished by natural processes and human activity.)

Cheers,

- V.

#11 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Vandegraffe said:

Wincent said:

Vandegraffe said:

Good find mr V.

Thanks.  I've spent far too much time wiki-walking on that wh40k.lexicanum site.  You'd be amazed at what is there.  For example, Black Industries published a book titled Guide to the Calixis Sector.  This was before Black Industries folded and GW transferred the 40KRP licence to FFG.  There are a significant number of worlds in there that have yet to appear in any FFG product, Precipre among them.

As for terraforming, if the terraforming engines were pumping out, say, greenhouse gases which had a finite lifespan in the atmosphere, then a failure really could do that.  40K isn't on speaking terms with most science, but that's actually somewhat plausible…  Common greenhouse gases like methane and carbon dioxide do react with an earth standard atmosphere and get purged.  (On Earth, they're constantly being replenished by natural processes and human activity.)

Cheers,

- V.

When you said "Earth", I for a moment wondered if you meant our Earth or the 40k Holy Terra.

It was of course obvious that you meant "our" Earth.

This got me thinking; Holy Terra almost has to have terraforming-like devices. The entirety of the surface of Holy Terra is covered in superstructures. I do not think that the Imperium is big on sustainability and ecology.

There has to be enormous CO2-scrubbers and other terraforming-like devices in order to maintain a breathable atmosphere, a functional ozone layer, etc, etc.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS