operator characteristic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 YoritomoKatsage

YoritomoKatsage

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

so after going through the core rules and looking at the classes, i realized that the Operator class is the only one without a cheap charateristic. Why is that? they also have the least amount of hitpoints other than the ratling. It's not like the class gets a leman russ for free, they're not even guaranteed to be in a vehicle a all. Why does it seem so weak?

#2 Savage

Savage

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

I give my Operators the Finesse Aptitude, so that they can develop Agility cheap.

#3 kumachan

kumachan

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Often in the rules there are advice about "changing" your story to add some vehicle. So in my opinion, when having a player as operator, it s a good idea to change a litte bit the story to help them to found a vehicule. Try to repair one, or found one. Sample : make your squad be embushed a little and the drive of the sentinelle be killed by a sniper shot or lost shot. And with few test make the operator using it. Sentinel don t change a lot the power of the squad, it s like an heavy weapon walking (only one heaving weapon on a sentinelle). But some time an enemi with a missile luncher or crack grenade to attaque hit.

Other way is to use him for logistic, get vehicule, tech use : sample : if infiltration : use him to found motor bike and weapong. 

If search and destroy through jungle : a sentinelle is a good choice !

if you don t know how to adapt the encounter, try some little random fight and change the difficulty, when it s to hard, just throw the dice behind your gm wall and help the player with "fake" bad die roll.

You could find a way to adapt the difficulty without changing your entire story

Playing the game is not only folowing "rules", be adaptive :-)

To my mind the operator is not the biggest problam, my big problem now is player playing storm trooper, the hot shot weapon is very very strong. (Pen of 7 is juste crazy ! it "one shot" default orks…) so i have to change all encounter. It's like a small sentinelle… but it s fun, because other GI are so weak. It help a lot in fight.

#4 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Just rememebr that Operators are not necessary "vehicle-bound". Actually, as far as my experience goes (as the squad memeber of Operators), they are probably more efficient and useful outside of a vehicle. They can do Tech-Use, Security, Stealth, Medicae, Survival and Navigation very well (all of these are cheap Skill for an Operator), so they can be excellent infiltrator/support characters. He can be a technician, a demolitions expert, a scout and a medic in one person, just talk with the player to actually improve the character this way. 

#5 YoritomoKatsage

YoritomoKatsage

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Forgive me Kumachan and AtoMaki, I don't believe either of you understood what I was attempting to say. I was saying that as Operators have no "double aptitude" for any one characteristic, they do not posses an inexpensive characteristic. In my opinion, this makes them a mechanically weaker class. As there are no truly restricted skills or talents, (psyker things being the only exception,) i think that you could make another class into an operator without much xp difference. While true, they would not have access to the same comrade abilities, in a cohesive squad, other players would fill the vacant comrade's role.

So, to be clear, I'm saying that the operator class seems weak. Am i wrong?

#6 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

YoritomoKatsage said:

So, to be clear, I'm saying that the operator class seems weak. Am i wrong?

Oh, I get it. But no they aren't weak. Just suffer from the weird class setup system where classes are sorted by preferences and not roles. Poor Operator got the worst of this, as his preference (vehicles) doesn't really go well with his best use (support jack-of-all-trades). He is not an Attribute Guy (even though as a "driver" he should be) but a Skill Guy (he has sooooo much useful and cheap Skills!). What is kinda' problematic since everyone expects the former (because the general serving of the class) and usually misses the later. 

#7 YoritomoKatsage

YoritomoKatsage

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

fair enough. now that you've pointed it out, yes they can be pretty useful skill wise, they have several "must have" support skills i.e. medicae and tech use as cheap skills and almost every other skill has at least one aptitude. Granted it is still dissapointing that they're so breakable, but skilling up will actually be a faster way of improving chances of success over stats increases. Thanks for the input.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS