Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

http://www.startrek....ith-attack-wing

Yeah.

#2 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

This look very intersting, though having the big ships work like the small ships in X-Wing seems a bit weird.  I'm sure I'll give it a try, though. 

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  4 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  5 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

#3 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yeah, I saw this.  I just started playing X-Wing this week (have 1 core set with another core set and 1 of each wave 1 ship coming in the mail).  I'm an avid Heroclix player and anything by WizKids tends to pop up in the online Heroclix community I frequent as it usually ends up related to Heroclix at some point.  WizKids revealed a countdown on their main website (not the Heroclix site) a few days ago, which ends Monday.  The source code for the countdown revealed that when the countdown ended, the site would redirect to http://www.wizkidsgames.com/xwing.  It was a 404 at the time.  A day later that URL was changed from /xwing to /attackwing and still 404.  Another day later and /attackwing redirected to /star-trek-attack-wing, still a 404 though.  Having JUST gotten into X-Wing like that day, I thought it would be funny if my old game dovetailed into my new game, and sure enough it is.

I wonder how compatible they will be with the X-Wing game (for casual home play of course).  Already from the article you can see there will be differences as instead of a pilot card you have a captain as a Heroclix figure, which means he sits on a rotating base that "clicks" and changes stats/powers.

WizKids has released a HeroClix compatible game called Star Trek: Tactics that uses the full HeroClix rules set with Trek ships on clix bases.  They have released 2 expansions for it, so they already have around 30 models (67 actual clix figures, but they reuse the same model and put a different name on it for several ships).  Despite owning thousands of clix figures, I never bought any of the Trek stuff.  I can get some comparison pics up tomorrow or Monday if anyone is interested.

My guess is that WizKids will take their HeroClix Star Trek ship models and put them on X-Wing bases.  There are some good pictures of the models they already have on the Star Trek wiki here:  http://en.memory-alp...r_Trek:_Tactics

#4 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

All I can say is that thank god FFG didn't make both the ships and the pilots collectible. That's just awful.

#5 PLR

PLR

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

I'd love to see a Battlestar Galactica game with X-Wing Rules… especially if they were simular enough to mix for casual games… 

Paul La Rue

Exiles Web Comic

http://www.exiles.ca

#6 tinnitus

tinnitus

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

PLR said:

I'd love to see a Battlestar Galactica game with X-Wing Rules… especially if they were simular enough to mix for casual games… 

A dogfighting game based on Battlestar Galactica? Yes please! But the moviephysics in Star Wars and BsG are fundamentally different, so it wouldn't feel right if these games would use the same set of rules.

#7 KnightShift

KnightShift

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

Giving the U.S.S. Enterprise the FlightPath system that X-Wing Miniatures has…

At last: something for us to use ALL of those Target Locks on! :-D

#8 GrandMoffMatt

GrandMoffMatt

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

It could work.  I am really playing the wait and see game on this one.  I'm not a huge fan of Heroclix, and I understand that this game won't be that way, but having seen their sculpts on other games…yeah…

I wasn't a fan of those.

On the other hand it may be good or amazing.  Hence the wait and see…

#9 GreyWolf

GreyWolf

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I'll be getting some of that Star Trek Attack Wing for sure… 

Star Trek game that uses the FFG flight path rules dam skippy…. it may even be a game my Wife will play as she is a trekkie…

will watch and see how it goes.

LGW

#10 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Not really a fan of the WizKids minis… being the stickler for detail that I am, I can't excuse little gaffes like the Excelsior's fantail (It was never a box like that).

Also, collectable. Does this mean all the expansions are blind and I have to spend a bunch of money to get the ships I need and want?

I'll have to see how gameplay goes before thinking about investing in this. It would be nice to use the X-Wing system to run bigger and more detailed ships, but I'm not sure if WizKids is going about this the right way. Galaxies should be on large ship bases, while early TOS-TMP ships fit on smaller bases. That makes more sense. The mockup they have displayed does something different, so we'll have to see.

#11 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I can pretty much guarantee WizKids will not have models with the same attention to scale and detail that FFG is doing with their minis.  They will assuredly recycle the models they already have for the two Star Trek: Tactics Heroclix expansions, which were recycled from their Star Trek: Fleet Captains board game.

I took a comparison pic when I was in my local comic/game store this weekend.  On the left we have a Romulan IRW Haakona, which measures just over 1000 meters in length.  In the center is my X-Wing (with a permament bank pose), which measures 12.5 meters in length.  On the right is the Klingon Bird of Prey IKS Ning'Tao.  There are discrepancies on how large Klingon Birds of Prey are, but the range is from 110 meters in length and up to over 700 meters in length.

So even forgetting the scale compared to the X-Wing, the ship on the left should be at least 1/3 longer than the ship on the right, but could be as much as 10 times the length.  As you can see. they are pretty much the same, and definitely not 300 meters diffence.  I guess what I am driving at is there is no hard scale in WizKids models.  Some of it fits, but its mostly random and greatly generalized.  It doesn't even have its own scale, let alone match up with X-Wing.

It will be a different game, that is for sure.  I am still waiting to see how they incorprate the clix dial.

#12 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

I had to read the announcement twice, just to understand what I just read, seeing the Enterprise-D with the "FlightPath" mechanic.  I'll just say, bully for Fantasy Flight to license the "FlightPath" mechanic.  I'd like to see how well it'll turn out with another franchise.

Now we can settle it once 'n for all . . . who would win, Star Wars or Star Trek. 

#13 cerosoul

cerosoul

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

If its not to scale I wont be buying. That was my main draw to X-Wing. The bigger the better!

#14 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

I totally agree.  That said, the image in the announcement looks to be a "prototype".  We'll see when the game launches at Gen Con.  I just hope it's not cost-prohibitive, like Star Trek: Fleet Captains ($99 just for the Core Set).

#15 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

They lost any interest I might have had as soon as I saw the dreaded "collectible" tag.  Not going down that road when I can choose what ships I buy for X-Wing.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS