Poison and Eagles of the Misty Mountains

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Just finished playing Flies and Spiders, and found that Eagles of the Misty Mountains behaves interestingly in this scenario.

Eagles of the Misty Mountains reads:

"Eagles of the Misty Mountains cannot have restricted attachments. Eagles of the Misty Mountains gets +1 and +1for each facedown attachment it has."

The On the Doorstep rules insert says the following about poison:

"Facedown cards attached to chararcters are considered "poison."  Poison cards are Condition attachments, and characters with any number of poison attached are considered 'poisoned.'"

There's a little conflict here, since the Venom mechanic and the Eagles of the Misty Mountains card both use facedown cards as attachments.  I guess there are three possible ways to resolve:

1) Keep the Eagles' "eagle" attachments separated from the "poison" attachments.

2) All facedown attachments are considered poison; ignore the Eagle's text.

3) All facedown attachments are considered poison, but because they are still facedown attachments, they will simultaneously poison and power up Eagles of the Misty Mountains.

How would you play this?  I chose to read the rules as literally as I felt was possible, and went with #3.  This made the Eagles card interesting -- it can quickly be powered up by allowing it to be poisoned, but triggering his Response and attaching more Eagles to them will also increase their poison… so they can be rendered unconcious very quickly, also.

#2 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

Hmm… This is interesting.  I don't have an answer for you, but I'd probably keep the attachments separate.  But what do I know.  You may want to send this in to Caleb Grace.

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#3 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Someone from the Cardboard of the Rings podcast asked Caleb about this and got a response. 

Eagles of the Misty Mountains do indeed get a boost from Poison attachments.

#4 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

On a semi-related note,  Beorn can't have Attachments. 

Let loose your bears and eagles on those spiders!

#5 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for that gatharion!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS