Darth Vader plus expert handling

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Burning Wings

Burning Wings

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

Darth Vaders pilot skill " Durning your perform action step, you may perform 2 action.  PLUS   expert handling  could Darth Vader do 3 barrel rolls for his action

#2 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

He could not.  A single ship may not take the same action more than once per turn.

#3 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

Burning Wings said:

Darth Vaders pilot skill " Durning your perform action step, you may perform 2 action.  PLUS   expert handling  could Darth Vader do 3 barrel rolls for his action

Expert Handling 
Action: Perform a barrel roll. If you do not have the [barrel roll] action icon, receive 1 stress token. You may then remove 1 enemy target lock from your ship.

There are a couple things wrong with this.

1) you cannot perform the same action more than once in a single round, free or otherwise.

2) it takes an action to perform Expert Handling. As part of the Expert Handling action, the pilot receives a free Barrel Roll. Expert Handling doesn't allow a free Barrel Roll passively.

So Vader could take an Evade action and for his second action take the Expert Handling action, removing a target lock as he does a Barrel Roll.

#4 Hujoe Bigs

Hujoe Bigs

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

paradox23 said:

Burning Wings said:

Expert Handling 
Action: Perform a barrel roll. If you do not have the [barrel roll] action icon, receive 1 stress token. You may then remove 1 enemy target lock from your ship.

There are a couple things wrong with this.

1) you cannot perform the same action more than once in a single round, free or otherwise.

2) it takes an action to perform Expert Handling. As part of the Expert Handling action, the pilot receives a free Barrel Roll. Expert Handling doesn't allow a free Barrel Roll passively.

So Vader could take an Evade action and for his second action take the Expert Handling action, removing a target lock as he does a Barrel Roll.

Read the FAQ, expert handling allows a free barrel roll manuever, it was a misprint and was meant to be a free action, otherwise it would be a pointless item for a TIE to take. That being said, it is stated in the rules that you cannot do the same action more then once during actions unless given a free action at another time by a diffrent source (IE lando giving a free action, Fel with PTL and focusing before using PTL).

• BigM2010 likes this

Rebels: 4 X-wings, 2-Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 E-wings, 4 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 CR90, 1 GR-75 

Imperials: 5 Tie/Ln, 1 Tie/Adv, 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie/Sa, 2 Tie/D, 3 Phantoms, 1 FireSpray, 2 Lambda

#5 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Hujoe Bigs said:

Read the FAQ, expert handling allows a free barrel roll manuever, it was a misprint and was meant to be a free action, otherwise it would be a pointless item for a TIE to take. That being said, it is stated in the rules that you cannot do the same action more then once during actions unless given a free action at another time by a diffrent source (IE lando giving a free action, Fel with PTL and focusing before using PTL).

Wow.

You are grotesquely wrong in your understanding of the FAQ and rules… but bonus points for bluster!

From the FAQ:

The text on this card is incorrect. It should read:

ACTION: Perform a free barrel roll action. If you do
not have the [barrel roll] action icon, receive 1 stress token. You
may then remove 1 enemy target lock from your ship.”

Read the first, BOLD AND CAPITALIZED word of that entry, then take a slow deep breath and start over. 
  • You are required to take an ACTION to perform expert handling. 
  • When you take that action, you are given a free barrel roll action. The reason you are given a free action is because it counts as a type of action.
  • If you cannot normally do a barrel roll you get a stress token (that's why it's not pointless for tie fighters to take it).

From the rulebook:

OTHER ACTIONS 
Some card abilities include the “ACTION:” header. A
ship may resolve this ability during its “Perform Action”
step. This counts as that ship’s action for the round.

Card abilities without the “ACTION:” header may
be resolved when specified on the card and do not
count as the ship’s action. However, a ship cannot
perform the same action more than once
during a single game round (not even when the action
is a “free action”).

If you didn't catch that, it says "However, a ship cannot perform the same action more than once during a single game round (not even when the action is a “free action”)."

Seriously, you should really consider reading the FAQ and the rules before you tell other people to.

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

Paradox23 is right.  The errata in the FAQ changed the Barrel Roll provided by Expert Handling into a Free Action (it was not an action at all before the errata, which would have allowed using both Expert Handling and Barrel Roll), but it did not change Expert Handling itself into a Free Action.

#7 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

Hujoe Bigs said:

That being said, it is stated in the rules that you cannot do the same action more then once during actions unless given a free action at another time by a diffrent source (IE lando giving a free action, Fel with PTL and focusing before using PTL).

None of the circumstances you mention would allow you to perform the same action twice. I'm not sure what rules you mean, because as far as I know this is all the rulebook has to say on the subject (page 9 in the English version):

However, a ship cannot perform the same action more than once during a single game round (not even when the action is a “free action”).

#8 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

paradox23 said:

• If you cannot normally do a barrel roll you get a stress token (that's why it's not pointless for tie fighters to take it).

That, and the remove a target lock thingy… reir

Seriously, I love that the game seems to be attracting a large number of new players, but I really dislike having to rehash these issues that were solved months ago. A little careful reading of the rulebook and FAQ will clear up almost everything.

#9 csi15

csi15

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

ziggy2000 said:

paradox23 said:

That, and the remove a target lock thingy… reir

Seriously, I love that the game seems to be attracting a large number of new players, but I really dislike having to rehash these issues that were solved months ago. A little careful reading of the rulebook and FAQ will clear up almost everything.

I'm new to the game, where can I find the FAQ?

#10 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

x-wing support

#11 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

Hujoe Bigs said:

Not to pile onto this any more, as it has been answered correctly, but I wanted to point out the FAQ specifically addresses this issue as well.

Q: Can a ship perform the barrel roll action and the action on Expert Handling to barrel roll twice?
A: No. Performing a barrel roll is an action, and a ship cannot perform the same action more than once per round.

Thanks,

#12 Hujoe Bigs

Hujoe Bigs

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

I appoligize for the misunderstanding. As you can see in my post i said one could not use the same action twice, but my examples were meant as a way to show that certain ships can end up with multiple tokens. IE fel with 2 focus icons or gavin (didnt mean lando that was a derp) can give a focus to an already focused ship. There is currently no way for a ship to barrel roll twice, but there are ways a ship could do things that resemble boosting twice, ie darth vader with daredevil and engine upgrade. Again i am sorry for the misunderstanding, and that was due to my own fault for being in a hurry at work, but I will say paradox23, that could of been handle completely different from you, and one day that attitude of yours will cause you issues. Have fun!

Edit: this was posted on a phone in a hurry as well, so sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes!

Rebels: 4 X-wings, 2-Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 E-wings, 4 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 CR90, 1 GR-75 

Imperials: 5 Tie/Ln, 1 Tie/Adv, 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie/Sa, 2 Tie/D, 3 Phantoms, 1 FireSpray, 2 Lambda

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS