As we reach the end of Core-only era…

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 superradjoe

superradjoe

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

What decks are you finding most powerful?  Most fun?  Favorite/least favorite cards/objective sets?  I'd like to see some deck lists of what people are doing well with.

#2 Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Pure Jedi with Jedi Training to control the Force and Yavin 4 for protection is much more powerful in the right hands than the obligatory Han/Jedi mix. As for DS, Sith with imperial splash has do much room for error it's dumb to at least not try it.

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'm doing very good with Sith and Jedi. On my iPod so can't really type the lists yet but both lists are same as those mentioned on Smuggler's Den. 

#4 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I'm a big fan of the decks from the news articles, Rebel tactical aggro and Sith control. For reference, here are the lists.

Affiliation: Smugglers & Spies
Objective Sets (10):
2 The Defense of Yavin 4
2 Mission Briefing
2 Fleeing the Empire
2 The Rebel Fleet
2 Questionable Contacts

Affiliation: Imperial Navy
Objective Sets (10):
2 Fall of the Jedi
1 Counsel of the Sith
2 The Emperor's Web
2 The Ultimate Power
2 Death and Despayre
1 Reconnaissance Mission

#5 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

Personally I'd rate the affiliations something like this;

1. Rebels (just pure awesome, gah)

2. Jedi/sith (pretty evenly matched, though good hanjedi decks rise above)

3. Smugglers and Spies (The han set is just pure awesome. It doesnt really work well in many builds, but the hanjedi build is crazy good)

4. Navy (Navy is too much of the glass cannon, and very unreliable. They can work very well, but they can also fall flat on their faces. They have no defense against the reb damage deck, which is their main drawback. They simply cannot outswarm/outdamage the rebs, and they dont have the staying power to just defend. I'm looking forward to the hoth cycle, where the navy seems to be getting some very interesting and much needed boosts). 

5. Scum and villainy (Unfortunately the redheaded stepchild at the moment, the boba set is just too full of cards that are pretty useless at the moment. Boba himself is a little too weak, and too vulnerable to all those reb assaults and whatnot. I have found exactly one deck that sort of works with boba. I'm looking forward to the edge of darkness expansion, where these should start to shine!)

Decks ranking

1. Pure reb assault (wow, just wow.)

2. Hanjedi (If built right)

3. Sith control/Pure jedi (a pretty even matchup)

Most fun

The Hanjedi deck is a lot of fun to play, it's thematic and pretty interesting. I like to play a sith control variant that is more about interference, and uses ultimate power and take them prisoner to do nasty things to the opponent. 

#6 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I have seen some pretty consistent Navy decks, and some Sith control decks, that though a little on the slow side, can completely take control of a game. I have even seen some DS vehicle decks that can take out 2 objectives a turn …

I think the DS is slightly stronger ATM, but the Hoth series will bring some surprises …

Welcome to the machine!

#7 Bazeleel

Bazeleel

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

AshesFall said:

Personally I'd rate the affiliations something like this;

1. Rebels (just pure awesome, gah)

2. Jedi/sith (pretty evenly matched, though good hanjedi decks rise above)

3. Smugglers and Spies (The han set is just pure awesome. It doesnt really work well in many builds, but the hanjedi build is crazy good)

4. Navy (Navy is too much of the glass cannon, and very unreliable. They can work very well, but they can also fall flat on their faces. They have no defense against the reb damage deck, which is their main drawback. They simply cannot outswarm/outdamage the rebs, and they dont have the staying power to just defend. I'm looking forward to the hoth cycle, where the navy seems to be getting some very interesting and much needed boosts). 

5. Scum and villainy (Unfortunately the redheaded stepchild at the moment, the boba set is just too full of cards that are pretty useless at the moment. Boba himself is a little too weak, and too vulnerable to all those reb assaults and whatnot. I have found exactly one deck that sort of works with boba. I'm looking forward to the edge of darkness expansion, where these should start to shine!)

Decks ranking

1. Pure reb assault (wow, just wow.)

2. Hanjedi (If built right)

3. Sith control/Pure jedi (a pretty even matchup)

Most fun

The Hanjedi deck is a lot of fun to play, it's thematic and pretty interesting. I like to play a sith control variant that is more about interference, and uses ultimate power and take them prisoner to do nasty things to the opponent. 

I feel that pure rebel only does well if you get the set up for it. I have yet to see a pure rebel deck do well vs the Heavy sith control deck. Rebels simply do not have enough unite damage to keep units on the field or deal with tactics icons. Yeah great you can get a ton of objective damage but most of the unite cards have 1-2 HP and your enemy will have 3-5 HP. 

#8 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Bazeleel said:

I feel that pure rebel only does well if you get the set up for it. I have yet to see a pure rebel deck do well vs the Heavy sith control deck. Rebels simply do not have enough unite damage to keep units on the field or deal with tactics icons. Yeah great you can get a ton of objective damage but most of the unite cards have 1-2 HP and your enemy will have 3-5 HP. 

I wrote a long review of the rebel only deck in a strategy thread called "help, cant make the rebs work" or something like that. Yesterday, I played 12 games on OCTGN with my pure rebel deck to test my theory (faced with the scepticism here against rebels I wanted to be extra sure). I won 10 of those, most of them against sith control decks. Of the two I lost, one was to a navy/sith heavy deck and the other a pure navy trooper deck.

Several players I have talked to share my findings of the pure rebels, I am unsure why so many do not. Perhaps people simply do not see the potential? For example, you speak of "a ton of objective damage". That is true, however, where the rebels truly excel is really direct unit damage. Rebel assault works wonders in killing vader, palpy and mostly anything else. Heavy blaster emplacements cause constant attrition, and ackbar dots the I. A simple way of dealing with the sith heavies that I often use is to cause one damage, either with an emplacement (if the enemy puts damage there), ackbar or a heat of battle. Then cause one damage with a unit in battle, and assault. Or do any sort of combination, it is rediculously easy. 

#9 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

The only problem I have with rebels is that if you don't draw the good cards then they are very fragile. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS