Heavy Laser Cannon on Firespray

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

Is it considered a secondary weapon? I could not find out specifically in the rules…just wondering cause krassis trelix allows for rerolling one die with secondary weapon?

#2 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

My understanding is that any weapon system added by upgrade cards (with the exception of bombs) is considered a secondary weapon. So yes, heavy laser cannons would count as secondary weapons.

#3 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

Check page 19 of the rulebook, under the Secondary Weapons header. The relevant sentence is: "Secondary weapon cards show the
header “Attack:” as a reminder that a ship attacks with either its primary weapon or one of its secondary weapons." Since Heavy Laser Cannon has the "Attack:" header on the card, it is considered a secondary weapon, as are any cards with the "Attack:" header. Note that, as mentioned above, the Bomb cards do not have the "Attack:" header, and therefore are not considered secondary weapons.

#4 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

Thanks! And immediately after getting this answer, in my next game, I took a crit on both of my fire sprays that knocked out my secondary weapon. No missiles left to take the crit! 

#5 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

jetsetter said:

Is it considered a secondary weapon? I could not find out specifically in the rules…just wondering cause krassis trelix allows for rerolling one die with secondary weapon?

Glad to see you got it sorted out! What a bummer that Munitions Failure showed up on both!

I wanted to add that the Heavy Laser Cannon's requirement to turn all crits to hits also takes place on any rerolls of the attack dice, such as with Krassis' ability or a target lock. Other effects or abilities (such as Mercenary Copilot) can then be used to change hits to crits as appropriate. I know it may be obvious, but I had to be "reminded" of this the last game I played, so I thought I'd pass it on…

#6 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Something else to keep in mind, since it is a secondary weapon, there is no range bonus to the defender if using the HLC at range 3. That's what makes it even more powerful at range 3.

#7 son of baal

son of baal

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

I'm new to this but can anyone tell me why I would want to change all my crits to hits this is a. "heavy" laser cannon should it not be hits to crits?

#8 Carist

Carist

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

son of baal said:

I'm new to this but can anyone tell me why I would want to change all my crits to hits this is a. "heavy" laser cannon should it not be hits to crits?

You wouldn't, but it is worth losing your crits to be able to roll 4 dice. And since it's a secondary weapon, the defender doesn't get an extra defense die at range 3.

#9 son of baal

son of baal

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Ok I see what you mean 4 dice but thats not 4 hits it's only 4 chances I would still rather change any hits to crits with thoes 4 dice the word is "heavy"

#10 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Throw a mercenary copilot on the crew and you get to change a hit to a crit at range 3 :-)

#11 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

son of baal said:

Ok I see what you mean 4 dice but thats not 4 hits it's only 4 chances I would still rather change any hits to crits with thoes 4 dice the word is "heavy"

It's a point of damage either way. If there are shields up it's a moot point. If not then a crit may be effective or not. In any case, I'll take a 4-dice REPEATABLE weapon with no range penalty, thank you very much.

As has been mentioned, if you really want the crits that badly, pair it up with the Merc copilot. Or Marksmanship. Or Luke.

Have fun.

#12 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

ziggy2000 said:

son of baal said:

It's a point of damage either way. If there are shields up it's a moot point. If not then a crit may be effective or not. In any case, I'll take a 4-dice REPEATABLE weapon with no range penalty, thank you very much.

As has been mentioned, if you really want the crits that badly, pair it up with the Merc copilot. Or Marksmanship. Or Luke.

Have fun.

Now Zig, you know better. Luke is Rebel only.

#13 son of baal

son of baal

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

Ok I'm convisted but in normal space a "heavy" weapon dose more not less damage when it hits

#14 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

it attacks with more dice than a normal weapon and defenders don't get any advantage for long range… it will do more damage ;)

#15 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

hothie said:

ziggy2000 said:

son of baal said:

Have fun.

Ack.

#16 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

hothie said:

And generates hits from eyeballs, not critical hits.  And allows a primary weapon attack, not another shot with the HLC.

But if you ignore that you can't take Luke, that he can't fire the HLC, and that he can't generate extra crits, Luke's a great option for getting crits out of the HLC! :D

#17 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Buhallin said:

hothie said:

And generates hits from eyeballs, not critical hits.  And allows a primary weapon attack, not another shot with the HLC.

But if you ignore that you can't take Luke, that he can't fire the HLC, and that he can't generate extra crits, Luke's a great option for getting crits out of the HLC! :D

Yup, that's what I get for posting late after a few beers… atontado

#18 slayerBarosh

slayerBarosh

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'll try to keep it brief.

In my opinion the HLC is/should be a primary weapon.

Because:

-expensive (7Points)

-Picture on Card showing Primary weapon system

-if not a primary weapon one would not get a extra red die at range 1 -> Realy? HEAVY laser canon on range one without a bonus?

-//story// Boba fett modified his ship to the max and would certainly not keep his normal lasers as a primary weapon if he has his HLCs in there

- Rules just state that a secondary weapon gets the Attack: keyword, not that a primary weapon doesn't.

I think the card should replace the normal primary weapon or upgrade it, instead of adding a secondary weapon…

I think FFG should join in to this conversation.

#19 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

slayerBarosh said:

Because:

-expensive (7Points)

-if not a primary weapon one would not get a extra red die at range 1 -> Realy? HEAVY laser canon on range one without a bonus?

-//story// Boba fett modified his ship to the max and would certainly not keep his normal lasers as a primary weapon if he has his HLCs in there

- Rules just state that a secondary weapon gets the Attack: keyword, not that a primary weapon doesn't.

I think the card should replace the normal primary weapon or upgrade it, instead of adding a secondary weapon…

None of this has anything to do with the rules of this game and thus shouldn't be in the rules forum..  And no FFG won't be joining this conversation.  I agree with none of your points.

#20 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

slayerBarosh said:

Because:

-expensive (7Points)

That would actually make the HLC worse… by being a secondary weapon the defender does not get an extra defense die at range 3.  If it were a primary weapon, the defender would get that extra die and you still wouldn't get an extra attack die at range 1 because it cannot fire at all at range 1.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS