Those cool shield tokens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NerdRulez

NerdRulez

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

Hey there. I have been working on learing the game and am wondering about the shield tokens. I don't fully understand the text in the rule book. Can somebody explain in good detail how these work? - thanks

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

NerdRulez said:

Hey there. I have been working on learing the game and am wondering about the shield tokens. I don't fully understand the text in the rule book. Can somebody explain in good detail how these work? - thanks

It's hard to explain comprehensively without more of an indication of what part of the rules are confusing you.  Let's just start with the rules, pg 23:

"Shield Tokens
Some card effects place a shield token on units or objectives. A shield token may not be assigned to a card that already has a shield token. Using Shields
A player may discard a card’s shield token to prevent one damage or one focus token that would be placed on the shielded card by an attack or an enemy  effect (i.e. it cannot prevent damage and focus tokens placed by its controller’s costs or effects)."

So to make it easy - shield tokens can be used to absorb one damage or one focus token.  The only exception is that they cannot be used to absorb damage/focus tokens from your own effects.  Does that help?

#3 NerdRulez

NerdRulez

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Thank you. That is part of what I needed to verify, but I'm still confused. If you could answer these simple questions I think it would help alot.

- Are there cards that will have me place a shield token on an opponents cards like their unit and objective cards? If yes, please explain how that works. 

- Do my cards only have me place shields on my cards or the opponents cards aswell?

- Are there actually cards in my own hand that cause me to place damage on my own cards?

- If an enemies card has me deal damage to my own card, is that damage nullified by the shield if it were to hit a shielded card?

Hopefully this takes care of understanding the shield tokens.Thank you. 

#4 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

NerdRulez said:

Thank you. That is part of what I needed to verify, but I'm still confused. If you could answer these simple questions I think it would help alot.

- Are there cards that will have me place a shield token on an opponents cards like their unit and objective cards? If yes, please explain how that works. 

- Do my cards only have me place shields on my cards or the opponents cards aswell?

- Are there actually cards in my own hand that cause me to place damage on my own cards?

- If an enemies card has me deal damage to my own card, is that damage nullified by the shield if it were to hit a shielded card?

1. Not yet, no. They are only ever placed when you commit a unit with "shielding" to an engagement. On your own units, or objectives (when defending). 

2. Only on your own cards, they usually say "one of your units" or the like. 

3. There could be, in theory. Cant think of any right now though. There might, in the future, be cards that move damage between your own cards (other than protect ability, where the damage still originates from the attacker).

4.  Yes. The damage is actually from the enemy card, though you would have to read the wording of the enemy card carefully. If it was "have your opponent damage one of his own cards", then the shield wouldnt work. If it was "Your opponent chooses one unit that takes one damage" then it would work. This is a bit of a grey area. 

Usually a unit or objective can only have one shield. There are card specific exceptions, stated on the card. 

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

NerdRulez said:

I don't completely agree with AshesFall

1. There are indeed some cards that would allow you to place a shield token on your opponent's card… though you would never be forced to.  For instance, the card Our Most Desperate Hour can place a shield token on any target Character unit, even your opponent's.  99% of the time though you would use it for your own card.  Also, shields placed with the Shielding keyword must be placed on your own cards.

2. I think I answered this above.

3. You could use cards from your hand to damage your own units.  For instance, Force Choke could be played by the DS player to damage their own unit (usually to trigger Vader's ability to take out a LS vehicle).  Also, Lightsaber Deflection can be used to redirect damage to a LS character (e.g. Leia).

4. Yes.  Shields cannot be used to prevent damage from your own card's cost or effect, but can be used to prevent damage from your opponent's effect.  Even if your opponent's card instructs you to pick the unit and damage them, it is still the opponent's effect and not your own.

#6 NerdRulez

NerdRulez

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thank you. I think I get the shields. I think I'm ready to start playing this game finally. I appreciate it.

#7 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

One last thing to point out about shields - it is not just damage from an opponent they can prevent. They can also prevent you opponent from focusing the shielded unit.

Welcome to the machine!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS