Opinions on GM kit?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Droma

Droma

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Is the GM kit worth buying? I don't really need the reference stuff as it's very easy to make your own. But how is the adventure and is the other advice for how to run comrades, etc useful?

Basically is it worth the money in your opinion?

#2 Nightcloak

Nightcloak

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

i think its worth it

the screen is really nice and i was using a dark heresy screen before which is very outdated concerning rules

the adventure was fun and my group did it in like 6 hours (the spent quite a bit time on roleplaying and know the rules well so combat went quickly)

additionally to the adventure you have some rules suggestions for command structures and logistics and a few more small things

#3 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

If nothing else, it's full of absolutely gorgeous art.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#4 LuciusT

LuciusT

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

Plushy said:

If nothing else, it's full of absolutely gorgeous art.

Not really a good reason to buy a gaming product, IMO. Some of the best gaming products I own are on newsprint with crapy line art (good ol' 3rd ed GURPS sourcebooks). I really wish they would stop with these full color glossy art books and just write good readable rules and setting info.

So, to the OP's point… I was wondering similar. Does the screen do a good job summerizing the rules people are mostly likely to need it for (I've seen too many which dedicate precious space to rules that don't need to be there) and is insert book worthwhile?

#5 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

Rules summary on GM Screen is rather useful and as mentioned before, Screen´s art is gorgeous. I havent run the adventure yet, but it seems fun not entirely sandbox, but definitely not railroad. Treatise on running OW Game in different powerlevels (Squad, Platoon, Company, Regiment, Crusade…) is unfortunately too short and general, but still inspirational.

Is GM Kit essential purchase? Nope. But worth the cost? For Gamemaster. yes.

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#6 Droma

Droma

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

Ended up buying the pdf version because it was at a large discount. Haven't had time to read the adventure yet but the screen itself has useful info. Some pages are better than others so I probably won't print them all but overall it seems worth it, at least for the pdf price.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS