Jump to content



Photo

Which is more powerful: High DR or LOW CR


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

    ~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

  • Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

Which is more powerful:  High DR or LOW CR

I'm designing some new weapons :)

 

jh



#2 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

Depends.

Against NPCs, DR is what you are looking for. Unless you have action cards like "I done toying with you"  or "Final Strike".

Against PCs, if you want to kill them right away, then you need DR. On the other hand, if you want to cripple them but not kill them, you need low CR.

 

Cheers,

Yepes


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE


#3 Kartigan

Kartigan

    Member

  • Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Unless you are playing with house rules regarding crits, High DR is much more valuable than Low CR (at least to players).  Crits are 90% worthless and the other 10% of the time borderline worthless.  The only exception is when you hit Henchmen with them.  If you have house rules about critting on NPCs though, that could change.



#4 k7e9

k7e9

    Member

  • Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Ruleswise I'd say that a high DR is probably better, but a low CR can be powerful in combination with the vicious trait and/or some action cards. My players like criticals, as they add more "fluff" to the battle instead of only hacking away at a wound pool.



#5 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Kartigan said:

 Crits are 90% worthless and the other 10% of the time borderline worthless. 

+1

What makes me think that when I have  a second I will check the beta book of EotE to see if they have imporved this too in SW EotE and is ti possible to apply here

 

Cheers


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE


#6 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

ah! you may also want low CR if you have a poisonous weapon!


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE


#7 No:12

No:12

    Member

  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hi,

Would second the above posts.

I guess its also worth noting it depends how the crit deck is organised. If its core box only then many crits are fairly ineffective, if OoW then more effective, if for some reason a(mad?) GM has tailored the crit deck to contain only the permanent injury crits and a few of the other more brutal crits then low CR gets progressively tastier…



#8 Lord Rogal Dorn

Lord Rogal Dorn

    Member

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

In our group if you score a crit against an enemy and you do enough wounds to past its soak then you deal a number of additional wounds equal to the crit severity. I know that this is a house rule, but it really makes crits a lot more fun and interesting.



#9 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

Lord Rogal Dorn said:

In our group if you score a crit against an enemy and you do enough wounds to past its soak then you deal a number of additional wounds equal to the crit severity. I know that this is a house rule, but it really makes crits a lot more fun and interesting.

Also against PCs?  or does it only work in the direction PC vs NPC?

 

Cheers,

Yepes


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE


#10 Lord Rogal Dorn

Lord Rogal Dorn

    Member

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yepesnopes said:

Lord Rogal Dorn said:

 

In our group if you score a crit against an enemy and you do enough wounds to past its soak then you deal a number of additional wounds equal to the crit severity. I know that this is a house rule, but it really makes crits a lot more fun and interesting.

 

 

Also against PCs?  or does it only work in the direction PC vs NPC?

 

Cheers,

Yepes

 

That rule is only PC v NPC. When a PC recives a crit it is handeled normaly. Sorry I didn't make that distinction more clear. =P



#11 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

    Member

  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

You can only activate the crit rating of a weapon once though, right? Am I the only one doing that?

 

I often allow crits to do their severity in wounds if they aren't interesting enough.



#12 Aranei

Aranei

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

Summarising…

Importance of Crit wounds depends on the contents of the Crit Wounds deck, for the GM can add or exclude any cards from any expansions.

Low CR must be combined with Vicious quality (or Swordmaster's artifact sword) to allow a better chance of dealing a crit wound with significant effect.

Some game effects work with crits, like poisoned weapons, severe wounds from Omens of War, or sertain action cards (for ex, a Necromancy Rank 2 spell, I think is name is Drain Life, don't remember exactly).

Otherwise, crit wounds do little to NPCs unless they are Henchmen or Swarms. They are more important to PCs, eventually leading to character death unless healed.

So, Low CR is rather situational, and usually DR is more important, because you will need 1-3 eagles to trigger weapon CR, and best weapon actions already have a +1 crit effect on eagles. You won't be able to trigger both unless you roll a lot of eagles.

Sorry if it sounds like Captain Obvious replica to you.



#13 Aranei

Aranei

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

On the page 8 of errata, it is written that you can trigger weapon's CR once with eagles (boons) and once with Sigmar's Comet. This two crits will stack with each other and with other sources of crit effects. On the same page there is an example featuring Kurgi, the Troll Slayer, hacking a fearsome Wargor with a dwarven Greataxe.



#14 dvang

dvang

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

DR is more consistent that CR.  

However, criticals are NOT worthless. First of all, criticals, like stress/fatigue, inflict +1 wound on faceless NPCs.  Secondly, on "boss" NPCs, criticals can be just as important as wounds. 

Then, there are also the aformentioned posioned and vicious weapons, as well a skaven warpstone weapons, which benefit from criticals.

There are also some talents/abilities which trigger or benefit when a critical is inflicted/caused.

A lower CR means a greater likelihood to cause a critical AND trigger a boon line effect.

 

Again, a DR is more consistent and, generally, more effective. However, do not discount the benefits that criticals (and a lower CR) can offer.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS