Photo

Are people building Black Sails decks with more than 60 cards?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

So I finally got around to sitting down to put together my first Black Sails deck.  60 cards … that means a 30-card draw deck.  Figure a 5 card setup; by your first draw phase, you've seen 14 cards = almost half of the draw deck.  Of you draw 3 cards per turn thereafter, you've decked yourself by plot 6.  Sounds like sacrilege, but is anyone putting 70-80 cards in a Black Sails deck?

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#2 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Vaapad said:

Are people building Black Sails decks?

FYP

#3 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Ha.  Fine, lets start there

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#4 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

Vaapad said:

Ha.  Fine, lets start there

I think the math winds up being that for every card you expect to draw, reveal, whatever from your deck beyond the standard two cards drawn means you should have 2 more cards in your deck.

So if you build a deck that draws 1 card a turn, extrapolate that to how many turns you expect a game to last (I usually go with 7 - 9) and you should probably add 14 - 18 cards to your deck.

#5 tibs3688

tibs3688

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

I plan on trying an 80 card with this agenda.  In addition to the threat of decking yourself, I feel that the cardpool is getting big enough (and therefore containing more good/power cards to stuff in) that there's less risk of drawing junk with a bigger deck.  On the other hand managing the resource curve in a black sails deck seems like it could be quite tricky.  Do I up the proportion of resource locations accordingly with deck size or keep it at a more standard 8-10 and risk most of them ending up in the hold (or conversely most of them ending up in the draw deck and oversaturating it)?

#6 Alando

Alando

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

I don't think we'll see many competitive decks going over 60. You trade deck efficiency for the small chance your games will go over sixish plots and that the missed draw will significantly impact the game. The vast majority of games I play are either finished by plot six or one player has it sewn up. We might see more emphasis on recursion effects over draw though.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS