Do Mutants themselves cause corruption?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kartigan

Kartigan

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

The subject basically says it all.  I don't really see anything in the Winds of Magic rules that says they do (they are not listed in the sample checks), but I just want to be sure.  Does hanging out with, being in close proximity to, being wounded by, or in general just being near a Mutant cause corruption?  My guess would be no, and if they did it would be relatively small.  Though I would also think that most people in the Warhammer world would certainly treat them as though they did.

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

They do when they look like this or this:….I'd give them a corrupting attack.

#3 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

No, I do not believe they do in themselves in the rules or fiction.

Daemons do in themselves, as the rules from magic/Tzeentch box indicate.

Now if the mutant is a mutant because they are exposed to a source of corruption they keep around, then indirectly being near them is a risk but because they are carrying the cursed memento/daemon tooth/disguised warpstone etc.

Re the above post, if they have actually become chaos creatures etc (gone beyond simple mutation) then like daemons perhaps.

Rob

#4 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Depends on the mutation. Below is the only thing I know that a mutant can have that could mutate another.

From the old lore, Nurgles Rot is a disease that in time turns someone into a Plaguebearer.  Not sure if the same in wfrp 3 it works the same, couldnt find it in the list of diseases.

I think theres a spell with the same name.

Below is from the warhammer wiki, updated as of this year.

Nurgle's Rot is the most foul of the countless contagions which afflict mortal beings. It is Nurgle's gift to the mortal universe. It is completely incurable, highly infectious, has a very slow course that turns the infected into bloated, rotting, corpses, and worst of all it corrupts the souls of the infected into new Plaguebearer's

It is as much a spiritual plague as a physical one, as the souls of those infected are slowly leeched into Nurgle's realm, where they appear as warty seed pods growing from cracked branches of gloomy willows. Each pod swells and ripens as the plague destroys its host in the real world and the nascent Plaguebearer feeds upon the victim's dying energies. When fully mature, the podule drops and the newly created Plaguebearer tears himself free. A mortal who resists for a significant period produces an equally long incubation period resulting in a larger, tougher and more disgusting Daemonic Herald of Nurgle.  Many sufferers undertake death quests in order to be killed and avoid this fate.

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

I'm just glancing through my creature guide and see that Corruption attacks include:

fatebreaker:  2 eagles -suffer one corruption.  I think this is the best way to go in using corruption with a hit.  Essentially it is a "critical."

horrific assault : 3 hammers 1 corruption  plus 2 eagles, suffer another corruption

masters of fate:  1 eable - suffer one corruption; comet suffer 2 corruption  (THIS IS A VERY POWERFUL MOSNTER ABILITY BTW)

PURULENT ATTTACK 1 HAMMER SUFFER ACORRUPTION

putrefying strike 2 eagles

ramaging mutation eagle)

Revel in corruption: choose one foyou mutations to use this attack:  COMET:  make a wp or GAIN A MUTATION!!!!!

warpstone throwing stars.

.suffer 2 corruption on 2 eagles..etc.

so, this doesn't include all the ones from Lop, OoW, HC, WS, etc..if there are any.

I'd go with Masters of Fate and Revel in Corruption (as it uses a mutation) if you really want to show your players a good time on a date in the Forest of Shadows :)

#6 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

I recall that the weeping blade from the clan eshin assassins also causes corruption, moderate source (2d)

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#7 Tamhas

Tamhas

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

valvorik said:

[…] being near them is a risk but because they are carrying the cursed memento/daemon tooth/disguised warpstone etc.[…]

they are carrying the pick of destiny!!

i would say it´s up to you as a GM. The rule states that you have to make corruption checks if you are prolonged periods of time within "energies of chaos reach" (parafrassing), and as mutants are themself corrupted, ie, have chaos energies within them, they should be able to corrupt others. But again, how come mutants stay mutants without even further corrupting themself? does been corrupt cancel ones own corruption?

#8 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

*sigh*

I misread the question, ah well. Thought was mutant causing mutation.

#9 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

Tamhas said:

But again, how come mutants stay mutants without even further corrupting themself? does been corrupt cancel ones own corruption?

Mutation is "permanent".

I think it's one of the "grey areas" that the common folks and scholars of Old World can argue and GM can decide as they wish if all mutation is "progressive" (once it starts it keeps going until you're a monster) or if it can be "changed and that's that".  In the rules as a PC, it's "changed and that's that unless you re-expose yourself" but nothing says that's how you have to play it for the world at large where the simplest thing to say is "it's mutation by the power of Chaos, there are no rules, it's whatever it is this time".

There is a line in the Drachenfels novel that I like where a "basically decent guy" hiding his mutation admits to a friend it may a better if he dies, "he can hear the Call growing stronger" (to scamper off north and join the funfest in the Chaos Waste) - the idea that mutation affects the mind not just the body.

#10 Roland the Red

Roland the Red

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

I think anything like a blood transfusion from a mutant might do the trick as well. Old WOrld surgery is risky business.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS