Two Sensei on same server

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Carist

Carist

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

If I have 2 Sensei on a server can one Sensei add an end the run subroutine on another Sensei?  I thought the text was just so you don't add the end the run subroutine to the currently encountered Sensei but it could apply to other Sensei down the line.

[Subroutine] For the remainder of this run, each piece of ice encountered except Sensei gains "[Subroutine] End the run" after all its other subroutines.

#2 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yes, the second Sensei encountered will have an End the Run subroutine on it courtesy of the first Sensei.

#3 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

I honestly can't agree with you on this radi…

"[Subroutine] For the remainder of this run, each piece of ice encountered except Sensei gains "[Subroutine] End the run" after all its other subroutines."

If you go by a purely grammatical interpretation of that card, the pronoun refers to all iterations of Sensei. I cannot even begin to claim insight as to whether that is the intednded interpretation, but I read the card as it stands as excluding Sensei from the benefit of Sensei's subroutine power.

If the intention was to make following Sensei ICE benefit from Sensei it could have simply read "each following piece of ice encountered" with no reference to Sensei.

#4 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Though now that I pay attention more closely, once Sensei has been encountered all previous ICE gain end run routines during the run as well… not sure that serves much of a purpose yet.

#5 Sportacus

Sportacus

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

paradox23 said:

I honestly can't agree with you on this radi…

"[Subroutine] For the remainder of this run, each piece of ice encountered except Sensei gains "[Subroutine] End the run" after all its other subroutines."

If you go by a purely grammatical interpretation of that card, the pronoun refers to all iterations of Sensei. I cannot even begin to claim insight as to whether that is the intednded interpretation, but I read the card as it stands as excluding Sensei from the benefit of Sensei's subroutine power.

If the intention was to make following Sensei ICE benefit from Sensei it could have simply read "each following piece of ice encountered" with no reference to Sensei.

Rules, pag 21:

Self-referential Language
Unless otherwise noted, a card with text that refers to its own
card title only refers to itself and does not refer to other copies
of cards with that title.

A Sensei following another Sensei gains an ETR subroutine.

#6 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

Excellent.

Thanks

#7 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

paradox23 said:

Though now that I pay attention more closely, once Sensei has been encountered all previous ICE gain end run routines during the run as well… not sure that serves much of a purpose yet.

If they hit a Cell Portal later on, it'll matter.

#8 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

radiskull said:

paradox23 said:

If they're not breaking the cell portal, isn't it ending the run anyway?

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#9 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

stormwolf27 said:

Exactly… unless for some reason the runner decided not to break the normal subroutine.

#10 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

Well, yes.  I don't know why the runner would break the ETR subroutine and not the other.  Maybe they're trying to build a super powerful Snowball or something. :)

#11 Tzeechel

Tzeechel

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

stormwolf27 said:

radiskull said:

paradox23 said:

Technically speaking,  if neither routine is broken then the first subroutine on Cell Portal Derezzes it and the second one never fires. Of course, the runner can just jack-out at that point.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS