I thought the box said 2 players!!!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JackhammerJohn

JackhammerJohn

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

This is the second time this past month that I got a game from Fantasy Flight that required more than two players.  I couldn't read the box print as it was so small so I asked the youngish clerk at the store who look at the box and read 2 to 8 players.  Seriously,  larger print size, please!!!  Another game into the closet until a larger group gets comes over.

#2 EchoingZen

EchoingZen

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:19 AM

You didn't read it wrong.  The box does say 2 players, but no worries.  The game is perfectly playable with 2 players (it can even be played solo).  Each player controls two of those drunken gnomes, good fun I say.

#3 JackhammerJohn

JackhammerJohn

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

EchoingZen said:

You didn't read it wrong.  The box does say 2 players, but no worries.  The game is perfectly playable with 2 players (it can even be played solo).  Each player controls two of those drunken gnomes, good fun I say.

You are my new best friend! 

Many thanks!

#4 EchoingZen

EchoingZen

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:34 PM

Always glad to make new friends.  :P

#5 mcgsmanor

mcgsmanor

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

How well does it play with 8?

#6 myrm

myrm

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

Its absolutely manic :)

You REALLY have to be careful because one slip up, like a gnome fainting and suddenly the game starts to outrun you viciously. You tend to have more options and also backup for fix-its because the additional gnomes scattered around often means someone is there to do stuff, but the ship shuts down quicker and one person overrunning can cause imense problems

I have played with all numbers between 4 and 8 and the game varies as the numbers do - the problems and issues slide and scale with player numbers

#7 flervk

flervk

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:48 AM

myrm said:

Its absolutely manic :)

I sure hope so :)

after reading a while about the game, I've ordered it and now it's anxious waiting.

here's to manic games!

*beer*

#8 The Angry Piper

The Angry Piper

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

The back of my box says 2-8 players, but the rulebook (and Bruno) says 3-8 players (which I presume means 3-8 gnomes). Not that I'm arguing with the guy who designed the game, but before I knew that I played 3 2-player (one gnome each) games and it seemed to work fine. Unless I'm completely missing the reason why the game requires at least 3 gnomes, the game seems perfectly playable with 2. I've been over the book about ten times and can't find anything that specifically says a minimum of 3 gnomes  is necessary.

Of course, I drink a lot of grog myself, so maybe I just missed it.

Any thoughts/corrections?

#9 Malach

Malach

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

I love you Angry Piper!  I played with the Angry Piper and we seemed to do fine 2 players, but 3+ might be more fun and frantic . .  time to hang out at a Gnomish Seamen Convention!

#10 Tarota

Tarota

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

EchoingZen said:

Each player controls two of those drunken gnomes, good fun I say.

Actually, this is now my preferred way to play. It lets you play with full lethality, without worrying (as much) about player elimination.

#11 HereBeBooks

HereBeBooks

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

It's pretty crazy with 7. Things breaking down all over the place!  Biggest drawback is if you spend a lot of time on an action or fall down drunk, it's along time 'til your next turn.

#12 HereBeBooks

HereBeBooks

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

My box says 3 to 8 players, which 'caused me to leave it on the shelf longer than desired waiting for a third player.  Then I saw it rated on Board Game Geek for 2 to 8 players.  I haven't tried it with 2 yet, but don't see any reason it can't be played with just 2. It runs a lot like Pandemic, which is great with 2 people.

So far I've played it with 4 (seemed too easy) and 7 (totally frantic).

#13 orc_ugly

orc_ugly

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:09 AM

I made the same mistake. I thought it was actually 2-4 players! But it works fine with 2 if you both control a seperate gnome, I look foward to playing with 8 players.

#14 TheDukester

TheDukester

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

This is definitely a confusing issue, not helped at all by some poor oversight from FFG.

On the official page for the game, the text clearly says "2-8 players." Look to the right and the little icon says "3-8."

Same page; two different pieces of information. 

#15 whiteheart

whiteheart

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:15 AM

We tried it with 2 players too; works fine. Of course we didn't reach the end of the deck, so had no chance of meeting the Kraken. But the more players, the better it gets!

2 players, each controlling 2 of the gnomes - that's perfect!

#16 Poeppel

Poeppel

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:49 AM

Another aspect: With 8 players gathered round the tiny board, it gives you the claustrophobic feeling the Gnomes have to suffer . Turn down the lights, let some water from the faucet in the nearby kitchen. Offer some grog to the players...

#17 Socat82

Socat82

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

Always interested in  good 2 player games that i can convince the wife to play. :D

#18 darkstar89sk

darkstar89sk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:29 PM

Just bought the game today and tried. I'm new to the ffg forums. It was a blast and only played with 2 players one gnome a piece. It never got all that difficult in playing just the two of us so later I played around iwith about 4 gnomes myself and seems much better that way.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS