Photo

Need list help for tournament preparation.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 darthbaugh

darthbaugh

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

Me and my wife are new to the game. I need suggestions for 100 point teams for rebels and imperials. We would like to get in a bunch of practice with our teams before hitting up the tournament scene. I have a decent collection and the ability to buy what ever we need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

darthbaugh said:

Me and my wife are new to the game. I need suggestions for 100 point teams for rebels and imperials. We would like to get in a bunch of practice with our teams before hitting up the tournament scene. I have a decent collection and the ability to buy what ever we need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Well, you came to the right place. Around here we are not shy about sharing our opinions :P

Could you give us some more information on what kinds of squads you're thinking? At the very least, I'd need to know what ships you own (so we don't suggest a 7 TIE squad when you only have 4).

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 darthbaugh

darthbaugh

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

I currently have 6 tie fighter, 2 tie interceptor, 1 tie advanced, 1 slave 1 for imperials. 4 x-wing, 2 a wing, 1 y wing, 1 falcon for rebels. I also plan on buying some more after I get some more experience or I find a need for some specific ships. We just started playing on Friday and we are hooked. Just need advice as to where to start. We are both pretty serious gamers and have lots of experience with other table top games. We are aging by basic rules right now but plan on jumping up to advanced games this weekend. Any help would be appreciated. 

#4 darthbaugh

darthbaugh

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

As far as play styles, my wife usually likes to keep things simple and to the point. I am usually very aggressive as a player in other games. I like to put all the preassure on my opponents and force them to make all the correct decisions. 

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

I have two favorite squads for Rebels.

Wedge Antilles (R2 Astromech, Expert Handling, Proton Torpedoes)
Horton Salm (R2 Astromech, Ion Cannon Turret, Proton Torpedoes, Proton Torpedoes)
Biggs Darklighter

The idea is to cover Wedge using Biggs, and make sure you launch your Proton Torpedoes as soon as possible. I used to have an R5 unit on Horton, but it became really difficult to line up a torpedo shot if he didn't get them both off in the first pass. I used to have a Rookie w/ R2-D2 instead of Biggs, with the idea that when enemy TIE fighter squads are whittled down enough they wouldn't have the firepower to take him out. But in timed matches this strategy doesn't work.

Wedge Antilles
Biggs Darklighter
Gold Squadron Pilot (Ion Cannon Turret)
Gold Squadron Pilot (Ion Cannon Turret)

I have only played this squad a handful of times, but it is sweet! Two ion cannons can really mess up your opponent's flight patterns -- especially when you catch them with a stress token on them. This is great news when facing wave 2 ships because Soontir Fel and Tycho Celchu both teward stress tokens, and you can opportunistically zap them again and again. Moreover, two ion cannons means you can gang up on one of the big ships and place two ion tokens on it in one round, which many people do not expect. I set up with Biggs paired up with Wedge with a Y-wing on either side far enough away that Biggs doesn't draw their fire (Biggs is there to keep Wedge alive, not the Y-wings).

When I have a moment I'll throw down some Imperial squads that I like.

#6 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Well, I don't have as much time as I'd like, so I'll just direct you to this post. I really like squads with a Firespray-31 and 4 TIE fighters. I like it because even though it's a smaller build, it stands a chance against ship-heavy squads. In my matches the most I lost was two ships. Granted, my opponents had 3-4 ships, so it might be another story against a TIE swarm.

Another popular build is "Howlrunner" (Swarm Tactics), "Mauler Mithel" (Swarm Tactics), and 5 Academy Pilots. 99 points. Takes some tight formation flying, so practics some maneuvering before you put it into action. Oh wait! You only have 6 TIE fighters, so you could probably switch "Mauler Mithel" out for a TIE interceptor, then ditch Swarm Tactics because it just makes "Howlrunner" a bigger target. Maybe you could put a modification on her to make her harder to hit.

#7 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

for rebels falcon + any two small ships is good.

most popular seems to be 2 rookie x-wings but i can see a y-wing in the mixx being decent too, even tho it takes 2 ions to effect a large ship having another 360 degree attacker is nice :)

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#8 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

With what you have you could do Howlrunner with Swarm Tactics, Mithel with Swarm Tactics, 2 Alpha Squad Interceptors and 2 Academy Pilots for 99 points. Saw this used last weekend at a tournament to good effect, going 3-0 (would have been 2-1 if I could've done one more point of damage to an AP TIE enfadado) and winning the tournament. As for the Rebel side, a popular build is Han Solo's YT with Marksmanship, Chewbacca, and Gunner and 2 Rookie X-Wings for 100 points. If you can get another Y-Wing you can drop Chewie and the 2 X-Wings and replace them with 2 Gold Squad Y-Wings with Ion Cannon turrets for the same 100 points.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS