The Emperor's Chosen

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Baradiel

Baradiel

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

So did anyone else get the impression that the new book may be essentially Ascension but for Deathwatch?

#2 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Now what you mention it, yes it kind of sounds like that. Not that's it anything wrongt it that, of course. But I won't make any judgment untill I've turned over the pages and seen what its all about.

#3 Cheddah

Cheddah

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Is there life beyond 99 WS?

#4 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

I not sure that Ascension, at least literally, is what they are going for. At least I hope they aren't.

#5 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Looks to be a background and history book. Most likely pre-crusade and focusing on the Erioch Deathwatch. Some rules for interactions and maybe command or directing a watch station as part of the "Veteran" schtick. Likely see a lot of bios for Deathwatch heroes. The advanture sounds like a "historical" game where players can participate in sector spanning missions with the likes of Mordrigal or other hero Deathwatch figures.

#6 Baradiel

Baradiel

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

I don't understand the animus towards Ascension. That being said, I am hoping for rules to bring characters past level eight. I hope we see it for RT also.

#7 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

You built a Vindicare Assassin? Congratulations! You are now literally unkillable. 8 potential dodges in one turn does that.

You built a Primaris Psyker? Congratulations! You can now kill almost anything in one hit. Except Vindicare Assassins of course. If it wasn't obvious, that's why people don't like Ascension.

#8 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

I've had to be more discerning with my FFG 40K RPG purchases. Anything that adds to the game; that is gives me more ideas; is something I'm interested in. This "Who's Who" of the Deathwatch looks like it will read like a collection of NPCs with cliche' histories (possibly with stats, but not guaranteed), and I'd rather have…well, more Specialties, or more Psychic Powers, or more weapons, or more adversaries, more informative histories. If I need NPCs I can make them up on my own with little effort (as I'm sure the developers do), so unless I see a preview page that shows me some significant specifics about a planet or an adversary or more in depth Jericho Sector/Reach history I'm sitting this one out. I did the same with The Whatsamadingle for Hervara for Only War. Hammer of the Emperor is where it's at, the Inquisitor's Handbook for Only War. Adventures…meh, I have those falling out of my brain like crazy. Rising Tempest and Ark of Lost Souls really disappointed me. The outer Reach is the kind of stuff I'd like to see more of.

#9 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

ooh, alekzanter:  your words are intriguing…….care to share what was good about Outer Reach?  and bad about Ark?  (we seem to share sensibilities regarding necessary books….)  Thanx in advance!

And as fer this new book - yeah, from the pathetic, non-informative scraps of info they've 'released' thus far, i'd say PASS.  Vague talk about historical personages?  Oooh, i can't contain my excitement…..

#10 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Zappiel said:

ooh, alekzanter:  your words are intriguing…….care to share what was good about Outer Reach?  and bad about Ark?  (we seem to share sensibilities regarding necessary books….)  Thanx in advance!

And as fer this new book - yeah, from the pathetic, non-informative scraps of info they've 'released' thus far, i'd say PASS.  Vague talk about historical personages?  Oooh, i can't contain my excitement…..

The Outer Reach opens up the Necron threat for Deathwatch (actually, they'd port fairly easily over to Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy, too), plus there are many planets and astrophenomena that are given some detail love, many with specific threats, significant locations, autochthonous life forms and stragglers, etc.

I don't care for Ark. The adventure is a collection of "significant" events or encounters within a very loose frame, the time line decided by the pace you want to set (which is fine), with Fighting Fantasy-esque choose-this-or-this-then-this-happens options, but everything else (the filler) is a collection of optional events/encounters at the end of the book that you may choose from. I also was not impressed with the artwork. And I still maintain that if you're going to publish and adventure, and that adventure has a significant event or encounter, then at the very least there needs to be a map of the immediate area of said event/encounter. I have 7 sets of Space Hulk tiles (from varying editions) but they are very limited with regards to the space that can be represented (the largest room I can make is @20m x 6m) and there is the inconvenience of halting game play to place the next section. Sanity forbid your Kill Team backtracks… and most of the adversaries are the same ol' same ol' (with one special snowflake Lictor that is actually billed as the reocurring nemesis, which really left me gutted with disappointment…yay, uber Lictor…so?).

#11 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Weird. Most people complain that published adventures are too much of a railroad. No we have one that's designed to be a bit more free-form, so it gets criticised for that. No win situation I guess…

Anyway, yeah, Emperor's Chosen. I'm interested to see how it turned out in the end compared to what we tested.

BYE

• Soloman likes this

#12 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Alekzanter said:

I have 7 sets of Space Hulk tiles (from varying editions) but they are very limited with regards to the space that can be represented (the largest room I can make is @20m x 6m) and there is the inconvenience of halting game play to place the next section.

To be fair, none of these RPG's are miniature games. A problem with tile limitations is not the book's fault.

BYE

#13 AlphariusOmegon7

AlphariusOmegon7

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

DJSunhammer said:

You built a Vindicare Assassin? Congratulations! You are now literally unkillable. 8 potential dodges in one turn does that.

You built a Primaris Psyker? Congratulations! You can now kill almost anything in one hit. Except Vindicare Assassins of course. If it wasn't obvious, that's why people don't like Ascension.

While this is true of Primaris Psykers (god they're OP), most Ascension classes are just as brittle as ever.  A Vindicare can dodge 14 times, but that just increases his chance of success.  He's going to fail eventually.  If you roll that many times, you ARE going to roll a one.  And then you're dead, because a Vindicare has about as much armour as a grapefruit.  If you're going to criticise Ascension, criticise it for the remarkable difference in power levels between almost every other Ascension class and the poor stormtrooper.  

#14 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Yes, the Storm Trooper does seem rather weak. So does the Crusader though.

#15 AlphariusOmegon7

AlphariusOmegon7

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

True enough.  On the other hand, maybe they'll get Ascension style expansions right with this one.  Balance them a bit more.  Put in more appealing side ones so that you don't end up with a party of five Vindicares who got wiped out by one really pissed off guy with Lightning Attack and an Autocannon.  Bitter?  Me?  No…

#16 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

I always find it a bit curious how a 250-page book is reduced to 2 unbalanced career classes: "Ascension is broken."

#17 jareddm

jareddm

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

I was under the impression that the imbalance was due to unnatural agility/willpower and the fact that Dark Heresy psychic powers scale off of willpower instead of Psy Rating.  I was sure I read awhile back that people who converted DH to the updated methods for unnatural attributes and psychic powers had far fewer problems with either specialty.

#18 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

thank you, alekzanter!  that is helpful!  And hbmc:  if i read alek's post rightly, he seems to be saying that the mutliple choice style of play was fine; it was the other junk he didn't appreciate….

#19 Skunk Bottom

Skunk Bottom

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Does anyone have any more information about exactly what will be in this book?

Will it be character advancement, and new roles, or ablities and gear?

or Will it just be fluff material?

#20 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Dok Martin said:

I always find it a bit curious how a 250-page book is reduced to 2 unbalanced career classes: "Ascension is broken."

I agree with this wholeheartedly Doc! Many of the things "Floated" in ascension went on to be very popular in later series. Skill combinations and the Influence system which is the precurser to all of the 40k rpg economic systems. I think FFG in that time was testing Ideas to see what would be more effective in later "core products". Just sayin' Some things worked better than others. Don't like it? Don't use it!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS