What do you think of From the Grave?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RARodger

RARodger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

I decided to do this as a new thread in the hopes that we can discuss the contents and utility of the release without discussing cost/future of WFRP and blah, blah blah.

I picked it up from the FLGS the other day and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. The necromancer spells are nasty with a neat mix of attack, healing and zombie madness. I like the use of reckless = zombies, conservative = skeletons. And I love the bound ghoul. I really hope we get more familiars/pets/mounts because there's a lot of cool stuff they can do with the mechanics. But the pact powers are pretty neat, too and I really appreciate that they made the necromancer playable as both a PC and NPC. (Although a Creature Card for the necromancer and ghoul would have been cool, too.)

I really thought this was going to be something like Dreadfleet Pirates, something to buy for completeness sake and never have any use for. But this did the most important thing a supplement can do for me… it made me want to play. Now I want to play or run a campaign for a Grave Warden, an Initiate of Morr and… what's the College that deals with undead? One of them too. It would be even more awesome for the group to decide that for the greater good the aprentice's next career will just have to be a necromancer. That could make a fantasic campaign.

All in all, Ilike it. I can't wait to throw it in my wizard PC's face tomorrow and try to tempt him with it.

#2 Kartigan

Kartigan

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

RARodger said:

I decided to do this as a new thread in the hopes that we can discuss the contents and utility of the release without discussing cost/future of WFRP and blah, blah blah.

I picked it up from the FLGS the other day and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. The necromancer spells are nasty with a neat mix of attack, healing and zombie madness. I like the use of reckless = zombies, conservative = skeletons. And I love the bound ghoul. I really hope we get more familiars/pets/mounts because there's a lot of cool stuff they can do with the mechanics. But the pact powers are pretty neat, too and I really appreciate that they made the necromancer playable as both a PC and NPC. (Although a Creature Card for the necromancer and ghoul would have been cool, too.)

I really thought this was going to be something like Dreadfleet Pirates, something to buy for completeness sake and never have any use for. But this did the most important thing a supplement can do for me… it made me want to play. Now I want to play or run a campaign for a Grave Warden, an Initiate of Morr and… what's the College that deals with undead? One of them too. It would be even more awesome for the group to decide that for the greater good the aprentice's next career will just have to be a necromancer. That could make a fantasic campaign.

All in all, Ilike it. I can't wait to throw it in my wizard PC's face tomorrow and try to tempt him with it.

Nice, I have yet to pick this one up but I am glad to hear this.  I did think it looked really neat and I'm glad they are adding careers to the PoDs.  I'd like it if they did a general Action Card PoD, full of actions of all types (well, all non-spell types).  It would be hugely useful to everyone who plays and eays to just grab and use.  I'm glad to hear this one is going to see good use, makes me want to go get it (which I'm sure I will eventually, waiting for CSI or other online retailers to stock it).

#3 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

I received my copy a couple of days ago. Upon thumbing through the contents, I immediately used the Master Necromancer, Ghoul Follower, and related action/pact cards in conjuction with The Gathering Storm's Lazuraus Mourn NPC card and Hero's Call's Sorcerer Epic Threat sheet to "upgrade" my campaign's central villain, Andreas Von Bruner (yup, the lost nephew of Grunwald Lodge).

Good stuff, though I do hope this doesn't discount the possibility of a Tomb Kings boxed set in the future!

#4 UncleArkie

UncleArkie

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

I had one gripe, one… That it didn't actually contain the 2 protective sleeves that it said that it did on the cover. I know, it's petty, but I'm still going to email them and QQ.

#5 RARodger

RARodger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

GoblynKing said:

I received my copy a couple of days ago. Upon thumbing through the contents, I immediately used the Master Necromancer, Ghoul Follower, and related action/pact cards in conjuction with The Gathering Storm's Lazuraus Mourn NPC card and Hero's Call's Sorcerer Epic Threat sheet to "upgrade" my campaign's central villain, Andreas Von Bruner (yup, the lost nephew of Grunwald Lodge).

Good stuff, though I do hope this doesn't discount the possibility of a Tomb Kings boxed set in the future!

That's awesome!

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

I put a sample pre-gen Gavewarden on RPGGeek.

http://www.fantasyfl...46&efidt=778651

jh

#7 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

I like it a lot. I picked up a few days ago and it's awsome. I think the Bound Ghould should have been called Small but Vicious Ghoul instead (just for fun), otherwise it was a solid POD and made me want to have a necromancer in the group.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS