A Journey to Rhosgobal

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

So I have the core set, KD, and im getting THfG and CaTC.  Ive heard that Rhosgobal is really hard. Do you think i could beat it with the card pool i have? And one more Question, Out of all the Adventure Packs out there (and the duluxe ones too) If I would skip getting 3-4 packs which ones would be the best to skip buying. Like which ones provide the least helpfull cards, and boring senarios? It can be very expensive to buy all these expansions so i was wondering which are the best to skip and still be able to beat other hard quests?

Thanks

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#2 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Dont buy Hunt for Gollum cause Bilbo Baggins is weak…

#3 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

Ok, but I would miss out on Dunedain Mark and Winged Guardian.  Those are pretty much the only good cards in that AP am I right?

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#4 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

The hunt for gollum is a hard quest. Bilbo isnt the best hero, but he has his uses, and with the up comming sets, it looks like hobbits will be getting some nice boosts (they already have access to fast hitch and dwarven armor which are both great cards. Fast Hitch + Dwarven armor + bilbo + burning brand is a great combo).

As for the quest, yes, you can beat it with that card pool. I beat it using just the core, THfG and CoTC cards. KD has some great cards which should mean you can definately do it.

The reason the quest is so hard (without spoiling) is because a few special abilities are key in order to really have any chance of beating it. If you don't have decks that have access to these abilities (which you will have access to them from your current card pool, it just depends on whether you build the right deck or not) then you can get slaughtered pretty easily.

That being said, it can be a fun quest, its just a really specific quest that requires a specific build… which means that you unfortunately have to really focus on building around it.

If you want more detail just let me know and I can go into more specifics. Have fun.

#5 Valyrian Steel

Valyrian Steel

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:13 AM

I wouldn't really listen to Cutie there as there are really useful player cards in every pack. For instance THfG in addition to being a decent low-mid difficulty quest with tons of great theme has Winged Guardian and Song of Kings. I guarantee that you will find a couple interesting cards in every pack and some packs you just can't skip at all with regards to player cards.

The songs all come in different packs in the first cycle and cards like Burning Brand & Frodo (CatC), Boromir & Vassal of the Windlord & Fast Hitch (Dead Marshes), Dain & Eagles of the Misty Mountains & Support of the Eagles (Return to Mirkwood), Prince Imrahil & Haldir (AJtR), Gildor & The Riddermarks Finest (THoEM) are all useful. 

In regards to your other question you should definitely be able to tackle Rhosgobal with that card pool as that was basically the available pool at the time the quest came out minus KD. The first cycle definitely loses some potency with the larger card pool that is available now and several of those quests seem very vanilla compared to the cool themes and mechanics we have now, but I still find them enjoyable and play them often.

Hope that helps!

#6 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

Thankyou for all the help guys, that is very helpfull. I now understand that all the AD have at least a few good cards in them.  But would you mind naming a few AP that would skip buying if you HAD to skip like 2-3? 

Im thinking maybe THoEM and maybe SaF and I think ill pass on TMaO. What do you think? What packs would you guys skip if you had to pick a couple?

Thanks

#7 scwont

scwont

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

If I had to, I would skip:

The Hills of Emyn Muil

Road to Rivendell

Both have mediocre quests and player cards.

I wouldn't skip Shadow and Flame (player cards are excellent) or Massing at Osgiliath (expensive for what it is and challenging, but very fun scenario).

#8 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

scwont said:

If I had to, I would skip:

The Hills of Emyn Muil

The Hills of Emyn Muil is, IMHO, the worst quest produced for this game. Its not fun, its not entertaining, its just a bunch of land cards and 1 quest card.

Brand, son of bain is currently viewed as the worst hero in the game by most players. 

If you do skip it though, you lose out on song of wisdom, gildor, and ridermark's finest, which are all cards i have used quite a bit to good results.

personally, i couldn't not buy and expansion, but im a completionist ;)

#9 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

Thank you very much guys!

#10 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

So I think I'll be skiping The Hills of Emyn Muil, Massing at Osgiliath and probably The Long Dark.  Do you think I will be able to beat all the quests without those 3 packs?  

#11 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

If you dont want to buy all packs, then you need to think about how to choose your packs.

I bought packs with hero cards i liked

What i bought are:

Conflict at the Carrock, Frodo is an undestructable hero

The Hills of Emyn, Muil  Brand son of Bain is a ranged hero (we need more ranged hero)

Return to Mirkwood (Dwarven King hero to make dwarves deck)

The Watcher in the Water (Arwen)

Foundations of Stone (Glorfindel since the coreset one sucks)

Shadow and Flame (Elrond)

#12 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

I am not looking to buy a pack just for the hero.  I mainly want to skip buying 3 maybe 4 packs and still be able to beat all the rest of quests that I do buy without having the cards from the packs that I did not buy.  So I was thinking that THoEM mabye has one of the worst player cards and also has a boring Quest I've heard so I'm not buying that one.  Massing at Osgiliaith is very hard and even though I like stuff that is challenging (I prefer to win about 30-40% of the time), I just don't want to buy a pack were I'm going to lose just about every time.  And from what ive heard, 'The Long Dark' is one of the more boring quests with not so much happening kinda.  And it seems that the player cards are not bad, but would prob be the best to skip than all the other availible packs.  So Im thinking skip:

The Hills of Emyn Muil

The Massing at Osgilliaith

The Long Dark

The Hobbit ones

Hiers of Numenor

So do you think I could get along fine without these? Sometime I plan on getting Hobbit and Numenor but I'll be getting the 2 cycles first. 

Thanks

#13 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

If you only only skip these, then i suggest buying all packs since it wont save you a lot of $$$ by skipping only 5 packs…

I choose 3 out of 6 packs for each cycle. 

You should consider buying one hobbit expansion since there are a lot of useful dwarves…

#14 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Massing is a pack that only brings a quest. No player cards….

Carlos José Matos

#15 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

Cutievalkyrie said:

If you only only skip these, then i suggest buying all packs since it wont save you a lot of $$$ by skipping only 5 packs…

I choose 3 out of 6 packs for each cycle. 

You should consider buying one hobbit expansion since there are a lot of useful dwarves…

I'm skipping:

The Hills of Emyn Muil $14.99 (Most any place its around around that)

The Massing at osgiliath $20.00 (this is actully cheaper than the cheapest I could find)

The Long Dark $15.00

Hiers of Numenor $30.00 (can't find it any cheaper than this)

The Hobbit OHaUH All places its around $40-$50 lets say 45 and the expansions for The hobbit

Total

$130 (I added $20.00 for Hobbit Expansions)

So i think im saving a bit of money.

#16 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

Oops i got all of it in the Quote dang. 

#17 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

I wouldnt skip any of them to be honest as they all have their little gems in them. Just take your time collecting them, theres no rush to get through them. Hills of Emyn Muil is taking a battering in this thread but it tests out your skills to make a questing deck. Anyway thats just my opinion.

#18 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

Hmmm ok thanks.  I have a little better opinion of emyn muil now.  Never thought of that. 

#19 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Trust use google shopping you will find a better price than that.

#20 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thats exaxtly what I used and google shopping somehow is the most expensive. THfG for example the cheapest is $11.99 BUT shipping is 17.99!  So I looked elsewere and Barnes and Noble have them for $12.98 And there is also a place close to were I live were they make the AP's and they have them for $15.00 and Games by James has them for 15.00 but with a limited choice.  Amazon doesnt even have them…..

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS