"action" question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shaffer

shaffer

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

the rules on page 24 is clear on how actions work. as a former yugioh and mtg player i do have a quick question. yugioh has its chain and mtg has its stack with that said,

if my opponent activates force lightning on a exausted unit of mine can i respond with say your my only hope? resolving backwards.

or does every action half to resolve completly taking turns starting with the turn player untill action window is closed?

#2 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

I am not sure, but I would say that Force Lightning would resolve first because You're my only hope is not an interrupt. I believe you would resolve the effect of the Force lightning first and then you can still play YMYOH on another character just not the one originally targeted by FL.

Force Lightning

You're My Only Hope

#3 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Rogue 4 is correct.  Interrupts are the only effects that exhibit "stack"-like behavior.

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

As mentioned above, Actions must resolve completely before the next action can be initiated.  For a more complete discussion of the timing rules, check out pgs 4-5 of the FAQ found here.

#5 shaffer

shaffer

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

thanks guys. thats kinda what i thought but just wasnt 100% sure.

#6 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

ok now lets say it was a force choke and mon mothma was the target… can i respond with rebel assault and use mothma's resources to pay?

or force choke is played i respond with your my only hope… what resolves first YMOH or vaders ability?

#7 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

So when you use Vader's ability it is a reaction. You play Force Choke, if no interrupt is played it resolves. Vader's react ability happens. Then non-active player can play his action or pass. Since MM is not there anymore, you can not target her resource ability to play Rebel Assault. Hope that helps!

Darth VaderForce ChokeRebel AssaultMon Mothma

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Rogue 3 said:

ok now lets say it was a force choke and mon mothma was the target… can i respond with rebel assault and use mothma's resources to pay?

or force choke is played i respond with your my only hope… what resolves first YMOH or vaders ability?

Rogue 3 said:

You can never "respond" to anything with an Action.  Let's break down your two examples:

1. Force choke is played targeting Mon Mothma.  Its cost is payed and it resolves, dealing 1 damage to Mon Mothma.  If Mon Mothma now has 2 or more damage, she is immediately destroyed.  Now that the DS player's action is finished, the LS player has the next opportunity to play an action, such as Rebel Assault.

2. Force Choke is played while Vader is on table.  Force Choke resolves and does its one damage to something.  Vader's Reaction triggers and resolves, dealing one damage.  Assuming there are no further Reactions, it is now the LS  player's opportunity to use an Action.

#9 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

dbmeboy said:

R

You can never "respond" to anything with an Action. 

by Action you dont mean to "respond" to game play you mean a card that says "action". (rather then a card that say interrupt) right?

#10 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Rogue 3 said:

dbmeboy said:

R

You can never "respond" to anything with an Action. 

by Action you dont mean to "respond" to game play you mean a card that says "action". (rather then a card that say interrupt) right?

Right.  To clarify: card abilities (including Event cards) that are Actions cannot be used in response to events in game.  Action abilities can only be used during player action windows when no other abilities (Action, Reaction, or Interrupt) are already being resolved.

#11 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

So there are 3 types here-Action-Reaction-Interrupt. It goes

Action window-

Active Player takes an action-  Active Player Reacts- Other player reacts- back and forth until there are no reactions-

Other player takes an action  Active Player Reacts- Other player reacts- back and forth until there are no reactions-

it always goes action resolves-reaction resolves-reaction resolves- Ad Infinitum 

Interrupts stop everything the moment they are triggered, resolve and the sequence continues. 

That's right isn't it?

#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Looks right to me, and possibly one of the better summaries that I've seen.

#13 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Weird to me is that if it is your turn you get to Act then react with no window for the other player out side of interrupts. 

#14 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

just Logan said:

Weird to me is that if it is your turn you get to Act then react with no window for the other player out side of interrupts. 

I believe the idea is that the active player gets the priority to "go first", so when you hit an Action window in the turn sequence, the active player gets to play and resolve their Action card ahead of the opponent.

So if you had an action window coming up in a phase, and were playing as Light Side and were the active player, you could always have the chance to play "You're My Only Hope" on your exhausted Leia ahead of the Dark Side who might play Force Lightning in an attempt to kill her.

Generally, when it comes to the Framework and Action windows, I am of the habit of narrating my turns, so it might sound like;

"I spend 2 resources to deploy Leia…actions? No? I spend 4 resources to deploy Han…" etc

This also ensures nobody tries to turbo through their turn before you have a chance to play an Action card in response to something they did.  You're perfectly within your rights if someone just dropped a bunch of Units really fast, passed on Conflict and went straight to the Force Phase in the span of 2 seconds, to back that turn up so you could play that Force Choke when you wanted to between Units your opponent was deploying.

I don't think the spirit of the game is to try and speed run your turn so your opponent doesn't get a chance to play any cards against you, so if the active player narrates the turn as they go, there shouldn't be any issues where one player is trying to get an Action card in while the other tells them that it's too late, too bad, so sad, etc.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS