Parakitor's Bounty Hunter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Another exceedingly lon battle report from Parakitor. I write these up anyway, so I figure I might as well post them here for others to read as well.

I decided to stick with Imperial this time, and since it was the first time that Wave 2 ships were legal, I had to do it. I know I'll use my 7 TIE fighters in the future, but for tonight it had to be my FIrespray-31 patrol ship.

Parakitor's Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter (Heavy Laser Cannon, Seismic Charges, Weapons Engineer, Shield Upgrade)
Night Beast
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot
100 Points

GAME 1:
Prototype Pilot (Cluster Missiles)
Prototype Pilot (Cluster Missiles)
Gold Squadron Pilot (Ion Cannon Turret)
Luke Skywalker (Proton Torpedoes, R2-D2)
101 Points

The employee usually on duty Monday nights, decided to get into the game. She recently purchased her own ships, and tonight was only the second day she had played. Her friend made the squad for her, and since she was an employee, she wasn't eligible to win, so it wasn't a big deal that she had 101 points. I took out her Y-wing first because ion tokens scare me. Especially with such an enormous beast flying around. She took out a TIE fighter, and I took out an A-wing. That A-wing kill was cool because I managed to get both her A-wings (and one of my TIE fighters) with my Seismic Charges. Those things are wonderful! We ended up going to time, so I had a modified match win.

GAME 2:
Wedge Antilles (Proton Torpedoes)
Tycho Celchu
Luke Skywalker? (Proton Torpedoes)

I can't remember this match very well at all. I know he had to have some Wave 2 stuff in there in addition to Tycho, but I can't remember what it was. So I started out aggressively with my Bounty Hunter: Straight 4. Then his ships moved up and I realized that I was in range of all of them! They each Target Locked me and I thought that was game over right there. Miraculously, I came out of it with 1 or 2 shields remaining, and then unleashed with my Heavy Laser Cannon. So knowing that I needed to play catch up with such a terrible start, I decided to turn to the side so I could get them in my rear arc. Unfortunately, my Academy Pilot wasn't far enough out of the way! If he were just a few millimeters further, I would have had my action. That's when I really gave up hope, but once again we made it through. The Weapons Engineer came in really handy because I was able to lock onto two ships and then fire at whichever one was in my arc. They were really agile, especially Tycho. And somewhere in there I used my Seismic Charges to put a damage on one of his ships. Like I said, I can't remember this match very well. All I know for sure is that Tycho was the last one killed, and we lost the Firespray.

GAME 3:
Wedge Antilles (R2 Astromech, Expose)
Luke Skywalker (R2-D2, Marksmanship)
Biggs Darklighter (R2-F2, Stealth Device)

Learning my lesson from the previous round, I decided to take it slower. I set up my Bounty Hunter to be able to head straight up a corridor in the asteroid field. He set his ships directly opposite mine, with their bases almost touching. First round, nobody was in range. Next round, I was still out of range for a Target Lock, and they came in to lay the smack down. It looked very similar to the previous round, except that they didn't all Target Lock: they used their actions instead. Wedge with Expose is scary! Except that he rolled 2 blanks and 2 Focus. Bummer for him! The other two pilots got some of my shields. Then I blasted away with the Heavy Laser Cannon and knocked out Biggs Stealth Device. Sweet! My TIE fighters came up to bring the hurt, but he survived.

Next round, I saw that his three ships could all hit my base and lose their actions, so I went full ahead 4 and rammed them. In hindsight, I probably could have gone 3, and still taken an action. Well, they all went straight 1 again, predictably, and they all lost their actions -- and they couldn't shoot my Bounty Hunter! In fact, they didn't even move a millimeter. So my TIEs worked on them, eventually taking Biggs down. "Night Beast" was a star all night long, with his focus + evade combos. Wedge took some fire, including a Minor Explosion, so he was down to one hull point left.

Now I was in perfect position to drop a seismic charge. I could hardly contain my excitement! I moved my TIE fighters out of the blast radius, then dropped it. There was silence, just like in the movies. My opponent then said, "Wow, that could hurt." He then revealed his dials and Luke went right towards the blast area. Wedge would have gone past it with a bank 3, but my TIE fighter was right there, and Wedge was bumped backwards into Range 1 of the Seismic Charge. That was enough to kill him, and it sure made my day. The rest of the match was spent hunting down Luke. I think we lost a TIE fighter early on, but we still greatly outnumbered him. And we outmaneuvered him with some fancy barrel rolls. Eventually he decided to go for broke and attack the Bounty Hunter head-on, and he died bravely under fire from my Heavy Laser Cannon.

A modified win and two full wins was enough to win first place! I now have a second pair of acrylic target lock tokens! They are numbers 1 and 3. I love them! I also received my acrylic maneuver templates from Applied Perspectives today and they are impressive! I recommend them.

My thoughts on the Firespray are that it pays to have a low pilot skill. I used Barrel Roll in every match to get my Academy Pilots out of the way, and it really made this squad sing. I kind of want to try Boba Fett, but I realized that I hardly did any bank maneuvers, and when I did there really wasn't an option to go the other way. I also want to try out Proximity Mines, but I am having so much luck with the Seismic Charges that I'm afraid to leave them. The only time I lost my action in the third game was intentional, which probably means I am getting better at maneuvering the big ships. It is just so much fun!

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#2 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

Nice write up man.  Good to hear the Firespray getting some time on the winning side for a change, I've yet to experience that for myself :D

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#3 Herrgeist

Herrgeist

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

I love the Firespray, I ran two this weekend and did really good in one game and I made some bad mistakes that cost me my second. I made some really interesting squads around the ship that I look forward to trying out soon. Great to see others are loving the ship.

#4 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

R5Don4 said:

Nice write up man.  Good to hear the Firespray getting some time on the winning side for a change, I've yet to experience that for myself :D

my firespray hasn't tasted defeat yet!

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

jetsetter said:

R5Don4 said:

my firespray hasn't tasted defeat yet!

"Great kid! Don't get cocky!"

How do you run it? I'm loving the Bounty Hunter. My two rules for the Firespray-31 are 1) keep the support ships a lower pilot skill than the Firespray, and 2) have at least 3 support ships (4 if you can manage). I see both of these rules sliding when I get more experience, but for a beginner, they really make it easy to get the hang of this ship.

#6 Sunsteel

Sunsteel

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thank you for the battle report! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

#7 Musicman4163

Musicman4163

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Take this with a grain of salt as my LGS is just now learning and growing the community, but I have run this list twice now and it has been awesome! 2-0 so far. We are trying to get tournaments set up and this has been the best Imperial list I have been able to make work for me. 

Thanks for posting it and I hope you consider imitation the highest form of flattery, because I plan on using this list for a few tournaments now!

#8 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Musicman4163 said:

Take this with a grain of salt as my LGS is just now learning and growing the community, but I have run this list twice now and it has been awesome! 2-0 so far. We are trying to get tournaments set up and this has been the best Imperial list I have been able to make work for me. 

Thanks for posting it and I hope you consider imitation the highest form of flattery, because I plan on using this list for a few tournaments now!

Thanks! I am flattered. Glad you are seeing success with it. This squad just got squashed the other day, though. Lando, Biggs and Gold Squadron Pilot destroyed my hold squad without one of them being destroyed in return. dbmeboy had sound tactics to go with it, but I don't feel right showing his hand because it was an AMAZINGLY well-run squad. The low Pilot Skill of my squad was their undoing, but I still like it, and will use it in the future. In the mean time, I'm gonna try to break in my A-wings, which haven't seen any combat time yet.

#9 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

P.S. Shameless plug: if you like this squad, you should give a thumb's up for "Parakitor's Bounty Hunter" on Voidstate's X-wing Squadron Builder. Go to http://x-wing.voidstate.com/list and enter "Parakitor" in the search bar.

#10 Musicman4163

Musicman4163

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

A friend ran a variation of this list tonight at our first LGS tourny, he ran

Krassis w. HLC

Alpha Interceptor

3x Alpha Ties

Believe that was it, could be off on an upgrade or two. He had moderate success. I prefer your set up better with a few more upgrades.

#11 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

Krassis is nice, but the Seismic charges and the Shield Upgrade make a huge difference in my opinion. I also like having 4 support ships instead of 3. I'm  glad to hear you agree. However, I may give his list a try, since I've only dabbled in TIE interceptor squads.

#12 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

My Bounty Hunter strikes again! I face an opponent with Tycho, Wedge and Luke + R2-D2. This time it wasn't a timed match, so Luke and R2-D2 were a REAL pain. It felt like an uphill struggle even though the match ended with a full-strength Academuy Pilot and my Bounty Hunter had one shield remaining.

I'm realizing that this squad may not be everything I thought it was. I have really only played 3-ship rebel squads, which lack the activations necessary to deal damage to a lot of ships.

@Musicman4163: what was the squad composition of the opponents that you faced?

#13 Musicman4163

Musicman4163

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Check out my battle report. Since someone ran the list I posted earlier in this thread, I decided to go with a two Firespray list to avoid an almost exact mirror match. Should he not run that again, I will try this list since it was my first choice. 

The one time I played it was against a beginner that made his first list. Ran 2 A-Wings, 2 X-wings, and 1 Y-Wing. He just wanted to get a feel for how the ships move. This same guy is I believe currently 6th in the Nation in Flames of War, for those of you that know what that is. So I am confident he will be fielding very competitive squads once he learns the game better.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS