How to beat 'shadow and flame' quest

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Needs high will power but with spirit deck i just cant deal with so many enemies.

#2 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

I play 2-player, so I am not sure if my experience will help you out.  We bought last month and so far we've only managed to beat it once.  I actually set my deck up for the Hama-feint combo (which has now been weakened due to the errata), but never actually drew Feint when we played.

We had two decks.  One was Spirit/Tactics with Gimli, Hama, and Eleanor.  This deck had Eagles and Dwarves, with several weapons in the mix and the standard set of Spirit cards (A Test of Will, Hasty Stroke etc.).  The other deck was Lore/Leadership with Dain, Thorin, and Bifur and was a run of the mill Dwarf deck.

Durin's Bane got his Fiery Sword during Setup, despite an attempt to cancel with Eleanor (2 copies came out back-to-back), making him a killing machine throughout the scenario.  We managed the balrog by sacrificing an ally to him every turn.  The Tactics/Spirit deck couldn't quite keep up with this strategy, and two heroes were killed by the end of the scenario.

Gimli had 2 Dwarrowdelf Axes and Unexpected Courage.  That, along with his native ability, allowed him to put good damage down on the Balrog (6 or 7 by himself each turn).  And he could quest at the same time thanks to UC.  We didn't start trying to do damage to the balrog until we were almost done with 2B.  Then we when in heavy with Gimli, including a play of Heavy Stroke, and at least one Gandalf play via Sneak Attack.  The balrog had exactly 27 damage on it when we knocked it into the abyss.

Eleanor fell to an undefended attack from the balrog after Fires in the Deep caused me to discard an Eagle that was defending the attack.  Hama was killed later by the balrog when I simply ran out of allies.  Gimli was all alone, with no allies, on the Tactics/Spirit side of the table at the end of the game… but both players managed to survive to the finish (just barely!).  The Lore/Leadership deck kept an army of allies cycling through, including 2 Gandalf Sneak Attacks on the penultimate turn.  Timely Aid was a great boon for this scenario -- secrecy cards work great since you get to lower your threat at the beginning of the game.

Hope that helps some.  It's a hard scenario!  But satisfying to complete. 

#3 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thank you for the secrecy cards tips!

#4 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

I've used a few decks to beat it solo, but the heroes I had my best score (97) with  were Elrond, Beorn, and Glorfindel (sp). I forget the exact deck build, but I included a ton of 1 and 2 cost allies from every sphere.  Primary reason was for chump blockers. Beorn and glorfindel with light of valinor are able to put on at least 2 damage on Durin's Bain a round by themselves.

The other deck I used was Glorfindel (sp), Aragorn lore, and Frodo.  Frodo  takes all damage as threat.  I also use Gandaf (OHaUH) for this quest.  Threat increases quickly, but Aragorn can set it back to 24 for the last leg of the game.  Frodo with song of wisdom and burning brand and a few fast hitches is very helpful.  This deck is much more dependent on attachments the other is ally focused.

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#5 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

There a re two tactics to win this scenario:

1) either you try to hold off the Balrog, using strong defense, healing and events

2) or you sacrifice on ally each turn

If you play with spirit you can play cards like GG or Elrond's Counsel. Take Nori as one of your heroes and filling your hand with dwarf allies should also prevent the Balrog from attacking. Additionally this also powers up the Erebor Battle Master. Feint is also an obvious choice if you go for the first approach.

If you're up for the second strategy and you don't want to play with dwarfs, Elrond is quite a big help. Put LoV and Vilya on him, and he can recruit a lot of extra allies.

#6 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

Here you can see how to do it with a Dwarfs :

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS