Photo

Does a Giants "sweep"-ability affect monsters as well?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Graf

Graf

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

In the German version of the game, the "sweep"-ability of Giants and Trolls says that all figures within two spaces are affected. This would mean that monsters are affected as well. 

Is this wording of the sweep-ability translated correct? Or does the english version say that only enemies/heroes within two spaces are affected?

#2 Sym

Sym

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, I believe "figures" is a non-specific catch-all for pretty much all types of units with health.  Maybe it wouldn't work for, say, the Geomancer's summoned stones, but other than that I think everything but the giant/troll himself gets caught up in the sweep.

#3 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

The way I look at it is …                                                                                                                                                                                                              You have three figures standing next each other in a row, first a hero, then a goblin, then another hero, all within the giant's reach. It would make no sense if the giant were to swing his club, hit the first hero ,magically skip the gob in the middle, then hit the hero on the other end. Just for consistency and the sake of logic, I would think the sweep affects all figures with in range, whether friend or foe.

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,258 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

BatHead said:

The way I look at it is …                                                                                                                                                                                                              You have three figures standing next each other in a row, first a hero, then a goblin, then another hero, all within the giant's reach. It would make no sense if the giant were to swing his club, hit the first hero ,magically skip the gob in the middle, then hit the hero on the other end. Just for consistency and the sake of logic, I would think the sweep affects all figures with in range, whether friend or foe.

Well, what if the two heroes are fairly tall, the club would sweep over the little gobbo's head and only hit the heroes reir .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

Graf said:

In the German version of the game, the "sweep"-ability of Giants and Trolls says that all figures within two spaces are affected. This would mean that monsters are affected as well.

That is correct.  Most AoE attacks, Sweep included, affect ALL figures, friendly or enemy within the affected area.

#6 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

Sym said:

Yeah, I believe "figures" is a non-specific catch-all for pretty much all types of units with health.

"Figure" is a defined game term that refers to any "hero" or "monster" in the game.  LTs are considered "monsters" and therefore inherit the status of "figure" despite not actually being a plastic figurine.  Some NPCs and familiars are called out explicitly as being "treated like a hero figure," but that's on a case-by-case basis.

It's probably true that most "units" which have a health rating are also "treated as figures" if they aren't actually figures by virtue of having a plastic figure to represent them, however, there may be some exceptions.  By default, any figure represented by a cardboard token is NOT a figure, unless the rules say otherwise.

Sym said:

Maybe it wouldn't work for, say, the Geomancer's summoned stones, but other than that I think everything but the giant/troll himself gets caught up in the sweep.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the summoned stones specifically say "monster" instead of "figure."

#7 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Dam said:

BatHead said:

Well, what if the two heroes are fairly tall, the club would sweep over the little gobbo's head and only hit the heroes reir .

What are you. a lawyer? Sheesh! complice

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS