Jump to content



Photo

Necrons and Fear


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jutlander

Jutlander

    Member

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

I have not played Warhammer 40,000, but I have always assumed that Necrons caused Fear like the Undead in Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I personally find them to be terrifying.

Shouldn't they have a Fear rating in the roleplaying games? Would it break anything if they did? Should it be the same rating for Warrors, Immortals, Flayed Ones, Lords, Deathmarks, and the Lych-something-something-Guards?



#2 coolzyg

coolzyg

    Member

  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

In galaxy where everything want's to eat your soul or your flesh or maybe just enslave you some pitiful aliens that have  metal bodies are not so scary :)

 



#3 Cymbel

Cymbel

    Member

  • Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

But they are, they don't stop, they don't break, their weapons can flay a man, layer by layer. Some of them wear the flesh of their fallen foes, coming at you like something else, others will come through the wall or door, slicing a man in two before they become intangible again. For all of them, something worse is wrong, as if they don't even belong in this world, but one is worse, it's very presence makes your soul wracked in pain, in the body of a cruel simulcra of a man. But for those who draw on the Warp or dwell there, this terror is even worse, where it can rip away parts of them while it is near. Their armor is almost impenetrable to even the powerful melta guns, their flaying guns can weaken or destroy your vehicle with a glancing blow. Worst of all? The silence, the unchanging expressions, the utter hate simmering quietly as they methodically eradicate you and those around you.

Just an idea of how scary they can be. In the Cain books they are really done well. Side note, this is for the original Necrons, not the crappy replacement they got



#4 Jutlander

Jutlander

    Member

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

Cymbel said:

But they are, they don't stop, they don't break, their weapons can flay a man, layer by layer. Some of them wear the flesh of their fallen foes, coming at you like something else, others will come through the wall or door, slicing a man in two before they become intangible again. For all of them, something worse is wrong, as if they don't even belong in this world, but one is worse, it's very presence makes your soul wracked in pain, in the body of a cruel simulcra of a man. But for those who draw on the Warp or dwell there, this terror is even worse, where it can rip away parts of them while it is near. Their armor is almost impenetrable to even the powerful melta guns, their flaying guns can weaken or destroy your vehicle with a glancing blow. Worst of all? The silence, the unchanging expressions, the utter hate simmering quietly as they methodically eradicate you and those around you.

This is what I was thinking (except less eloquently). They are unnatural and that is what should be scary about them.



#5 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

    Member

  • Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Jutlander said:

Cymbel said:

But they are, they don't stop, they don't break, their weapons can flay a man, layer by layer. Some of them wear the flesh of their fallen foes, coming at you like something else, others will come through the wall or door, slicing a man in two before they become intangible again. For all of them, something worse is wrong, as if they don't even belong in this world, but one is worse, it's very presence makes your soul wracked in pain, in the body of a cruel simulcra of a man. But for those who draw on the Warp or dwell there, this terror is even worse, where it can rip away parts of them while it is near. Their armor is almost impenetrable to even the powerful melta guns, their flaying guns can weaken or destroy your vehicle with a glancing blow. Worst of all? The silence, the unchanging expressions, the utter hate simmering quietly as they methodically eradicate you and those around you.

This is what I was thinking (except less eloquently). They are unnatural and that is what should be scary about them.

So are servitors, but they dont get a fear rating. I think them not having one is great. People start out lulled into a false sense of security thinking they are just facing machines. They stay and fight a few downing them. Then, because they stayed they are drowned in an implacable advance. Rather than a fear rating causing an effect, the panic level of the group rises as the implacable tide rises against them. It is a slow thing, but it is there. The lack of random mindshattering fear makes them more dangerous. At least that has been my experience. The necrons dont need a fear rating.

#6 ShadowRay

ShadowRay

    Member

  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Whot's scary highly depends on what you are used to see. In Call of Cthulhu pnp a sight of mutilated dead body is scary and grants insanity, that's because it's set in 1920s and such things were extremely are, and so 'unimaginable' for most.
In the world where servitors are common, and knowledge is scarce, your own ignorance about what necrons are is your shield against terror they represent. Was someone to explain it to you beforehand, things might be different.



#7 Cymbel

Cymbel

    Member

  • Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

I can totally understand the lack of a fear rating, which should only apply to their most horrific ones (flayers, pariahs, etc.), but the main purpose of my post was to point out how scary they are and can be, much more than servitors.



#8 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

    Member

  • Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Eh, if you have Jaded you just don't care anyway.



#9 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

    Member

  • Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Terraneaux said:

Eh, if you have Jaded you just don't care anyway.

Or Fearless.

Or if you're one of the Emperor's Holy Space Marines, hard of body and mind, trained to stare down the foulest beasts imaginable and stand their ground. And they shall know no fear, for they are fear incarnate.


"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS