Photo

what do you find is the best and worst card artwork?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Robby Stark

Robby Stark

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

both of these oberyn martel artworks are genius in my opinion

http://www.cardgamed...d-viper-aps.jpg

http://www.cardgamed...y_34_324247.jpg

on the other hand I can't look at former champion or pinch of powder without going what the **** were they thinking?

http://www.cardgamed...y_34_314350.jpg

http://www.cardgamed...ry_34_31508.jpg

especially former champion, he looks like some out of shape video game kid.

#2 flipperlord

flipperlord

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

um… do you know that the characters depicted on "Former Champion" and "A Pinch of Powder" are intended to look like the players who designed those particular cards?

#3 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Kinda a jerk move to pick those two cards 

I always thought Dragon Fear seemed a little… "off"

Edit: ok it looks just plain ridiculous 

#4 Sokhar

Sokhar

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Lyanna Stark is a card with exceptional art. Core set Eddard, on the other hand, brings shame to House Stark. Its mostly his pose, but it just looks awful.

#5 Robby Stark

Robby Stark

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

flipperlord said:

um… do you know that the characters depicted on "Former Champion" and "A Pinch of Powder" are intended to look like the players who designed those particular cards?

nah I mean it. former champion looks ridiculous. it's not that the actual kid posing for the artwork is ugly or anything, but it looks so out of place in the game of thrones universe.

#6 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

the guy in the background of The Blackfish looks like an effeminate Harry Potter ;) 

#7 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

cooleo1c said:

Kinda a jerk move to pick those two cards 

I always thought Dragon Fear seemed a little… "off"

Edit: ok it looks just plain ridiculous 

agree.  For me, this is the worst.  On the other hand, Field of Fire is breathtaking 

http://www.agotcards...um/dragon37.jpg

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#8 flipperlord

flipperlord

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

dcdennis said:

the guy in the background of The Blackfish looks like an effeminate Harry Potter ;) 

LOL

#9 erockbaratheon

erockbaratheon

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

Dragon Fear is by for the worst. Lannisport brothel is next though. 

Aeron damphair (VM) is amazing artwork

#10 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

These are my favorites.  They are cards from the CCG days though.

I think these were drawn before the days of computers and while Crayola was just starting to come out with some interesting colors.

#11 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

No one has mentioned The Battle of Ruby Ford as the best art yet?!?!?!?!

Shame on all of you.

I would buy a full size picture of that and hang it on my wall. The artwork on that card is brilliant.

#12 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

mdc273 said:

No one has mentioned The Battle of Ruby Ford as the best art yet?!?!?!?!

Shame on all of you.

I would buy a full size picture of that and hang it on my wall. The artwork on that card is brilliant.

agree, that's also one or my favorites

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#13 snaggrriss

snaggrriss

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

um… do you know that the characters depicted on "Former Champion" and "A Pinch of Powder" are intended to look like the players who designed those particular cards. WOW that is cool. Did not know that!

Best artwork? Anything done by Tomasz Jedruszek. Am i spelling that right? He's one of my favorite. So many amazing artists on Thrones.

#14 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm a big fan of the art on Griff.  The Drogo art on the box in the current League kit is awesome, I remember seeing it on a banner at GenCon and being impressed, wonder when the card will show up and what type of card it will be.
Dragon Fear is the first thing that came to mind for awful art, but some of the other QoD Cards are pretty bad too (Hired Swords, I'm looking at you).  The ones Bomb posted are just downright horrible, Arya apparently joined an 80s band at some point, and the card itself is horridly vanilla too.

#15 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Going to have to throw my vote behind Aerong Damphair (VM), although there are plenty of great cards to choose from (especially in that set!), including some really nice landscapes in the unpronouncable Martell locations. The artwork is very good, but the pose is inspired and I think does a phenomenal job of capturing the character. I'd like to give an honorouable mention to Seductive promise, for similar reasons - an unusual but excellent choice to represent the card name.

As for least favourites, "The Art of Diplomacy" bothers me. The artwork is lousy, and there were so many other good choices of representations for a card of that name.

#16 Robby Stark

Robby Stark

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Sokhar said:

Core set Eddard, on the other hand, brings shame to House Stark. Its mostly his pose, but it just looks awful.

he looks like he's reloading his sword like a shotgun

#17 Robby Stark

Robby Stark

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

bumping this with to be a wolf: http://www.cardgamed...y_15_111298.jpg

what the hell? the reason I hate this artwork so much is that all other ''to be a beast'' cards are gloryfing to their respective houses, however the starks get bran who looks like he just sharted himself. is this really what the artist thinks it means to be a wolf?

#18 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Robby Stark said:

bumping this with to be a wolf: http://www.cardgamed...y_15_111298.jpg

what the hell? the reason I hate this artwork so much is that all other ''to be a beast'' cards are gloryfing to their respective houses, however the starks get bran who looks like he just sharted himself. is this really what the artist thinks it means to be a wolf?

Hahahahahaha. I play this card all the time without thinking about it. I forgot how half the card's art is awesome and half is terrible.

#19 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:17 AM

mdc273 said:

Hahahahahaha. I play this card all the time without thinking about it. I forgot how half the card's art is awesome and half is terrible.

Wait…what!? You have a version of To Be A Wolf with half awesome artwork? What's that? Some limited edition alternate art thing?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS