Grumpy Wizard event

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Weslocke

Weslocke

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

We had yet another argument!! The Grumpy Wizard event state that the player who drew the event must draw spells from the spell deck until he gets one that targets a player, then the spell is cast at the player who drew the event and the spell is consider to be cast by the player to the left of the one who drew the event. The spell was mesmerism. I said that the follower is to be chosen by the player on the left and then discarded, becasue the grumpy wizard was the one who cast it. All of the other player voted that the player on the left gets to keep the follower chosen. Which is it?

#2 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Weslocke said:

We had yet another argument!! The Grumpy Wizard event state that the player who drew the event must draw spells from the spell deck until he gets one that targets a player, then the spell is cast at the player who drew the event and the spell is consider to be cast by the player to the left of the one who drew the event. The spell was mesmerism. I said that the follower is to be chosen by the player on the left and then discarded, becasue the grumpy wizard was the one who cast it. All of the other player voted that the player on the left gets to keep the follower chosen. Which is it?

I understand your doubts and arguments with these will always arise untile the concept of "cast on a character"  will be clear to everybody.

Mesmerism

Cast at the start of your turn, before you move. Take one Follower of your choice from any characterCast at the start of your turn, before you move. Take one Follower of your choice from any character

Is this Spell cast on a character? NO. As written, it's cast on NOTHING. The Spell says only when you have to cast it. This won't combine with Grumpy Wizard.

An example of a Spell that can be cast on a character?

Mind Steal

Cast on another character at any time. Look at that character’s Spells and take one of your choice.

A comprehensive list of Spells cast on a character:

Benediction (BM)
Cheat Fate (SP)
Curse of the Werewolf (BM)
Feeble Mind (SP)
Finger of Death (Du)
Freeze (Fr)
Generosity (SP)
Haunting Poltergeist (BM)
Healing (BG)
Immobility (BG)
Invoke Favour (SP)
Life Tap (SP)
Lightning Bolt (Hi)
Mind Steal (Hi)
Misdirection (Re)
Misfortune (SP)
Nullify (BG)
Path of Destiny (Fr)
Preservation (BG)
Random (BG)
Restoration (Du)
Reverence (SP)
Shatter (Re)
Sleep (Re)
Slow Motion (Re)
Soul Shatter (Hi)
Stasis (SP)
Syphon Strength (SP)
Temporary Change (SP)
Time Steal (Fr)
Toadify! (Fr)
Transmute (Re)
Vindication (SP)
Vortex (Fr)
Weakness (Du)

I hope this helps.

#3 Weslocke

Weslocke

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the list….but my question is…does the player to the left (as stated on Grumpy Wizard) get the benifit of the spell? For Example from your list…Mind Steal…does the "left" player get the spell taken from the one who drew the event?????

#4 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Weslocke said:

Thanks for the list….but my question is…does the player to the left (as stated on Grumpy Wizard) get the benifit of the spell? For Example from your list…Mind Steal…does the "left" player get the spell taken from the one who drew the event?????

If the spell targets a character yes.. Mesmerism doesnt target a character so you have to redraw. Mind Steal does work so the player to your left will get the rewards becasue the spell is considered to be casted by them.

#5 Weslocke

Weslocke

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

well….I am surprised….I was out voted and they were right….1st time for every thing!!

#6 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Weslocke said:

well….I am surprised….I was out voted and they were right….1st time for every thing!!

It may appear absurd and strange (it is), but the Grumpy Wizard card says to treat the Spell "as if the player to your left cast it on your character".

The left player is the caster of the Spell for all purposes (Reflection, etc…) and gets the benefit of the Spell because the Grumpy Wizard doesn't trace the whole picture. It's an incomplete card like many others. Somebody was so excited to have created such an interesting new version of an old card that he forgot to check if it worked. That's the case of many City cards, sadly.

But what I wanted you to note and understand is that the vote should not have taken place because of Mesmerism Spell, as it could not have been used with Grumpy Wizard. It's not cast on a character.

#7 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Sorry for double post

#8 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

Yeah so you all got it wrong :).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS