Playing Remotely? Try Hangout EotE tools

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 TommyC

TommyC

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

We've been using these tools for a while now for our weekly game.  There are a couple of us that play remotely and we use Google Hangout to do so (although the last couple of sessions we all played remotely using Hangouts and the tool).  It has been working quite well and I thought I would make it available to the community.

It consists of Destiny tracker, a roller (originally coded by our GM and posted in this forum a couple months ago) with the results communicated to everyone in the Hangout including the roll results that appear as an overlay to the video stream.

You can give it a try here:

This is what it looks like.  It is displayed as a side-panel next to the video.

Screenshot

• BrashFink, Dark Bunny Lord, Aazlain and 20 others like this

#2 Fiddleback

Fiddleback

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

This is brilliant.  Why no one has said this is brilliant up until now, I don't know.

Why is it brilliant?  Because it works right along with Roll20 via Hangouts and THAT means we can use the proper dice with it.

See, brilliant.

• seanpp, SilverSpider22 and N4n0 like this

Freelance Editor and Writer  (Ed: Rogue Trader: Faith and CoinStar Wars: Age of Rebellion Beta and Core) - Contributor of the Skill Monkey segments to The Order 66 Podcast - Bon Vivant and gadabout town. www.MadAdventurers.com

#3 tgoVIPER

tgoVIPER

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Wow! That's great.  I can't wait to get home and give it a shot.  Thanks for sharing.

animado <- that's for you

Oh there's a signature.

#4 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hey guys,

Could you expand on how to use the Hangout tool with Roll20?

I am very experienced at running online WFRP3 via FG2 and Maptool, and have tried EotE with Maptool as well. It works, but Maptool is not very user friendly, and I am looking for a better software (until one day hopefully someone do an EotE FG2 ruleset).

So, do you load both Google Hangout and Roll20 in two browser tabs and shift between the two for every roll? Is there a way to get the Hangout toll within Roll20 browser window? Or can Google Hangout be used solely to share maps? I am a noob with Roll20 and Hangout, but eager to understand how you are using those software to run your EotE games.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Ceodryn

#5 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Alright, I am answering my own question. I hadn't realized that Roll20 campaigns could be launched using Google Hangout. 

However, it remains that I am curious how people are using Hangout and/or Roll20 to GM and play EotE. Screenshots would be worth a thousand words!

Cheers

Ceodryn

#6 Fiddleback

Fiddleback

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Yes, basically Roll20 is an app for use in Hangouts as well as being available on it's own website. 

Essentially, you (or your GM) lay out whatever graphics elements you want to use on a series of pages just like you would set up a regular campaign for that Zebras & Zeppelins game that everyone loves so much.  Being an Edge of the Empire Game you wouldn't needed gridded maps or anything necessarily, but in return you could do some really interesting, story enhancing things with Roll20 and EotE.

For instance, creating Epic location scenes within the app to give players a sense of place.  Like maybe a screen cap of your favorite place in SW:TOR used as a backdrop so folks know exactly what the particular section of Tattooine they are in looks like.

You could lay out a static 'opening crawl' in Roll20 to start your adventures with.  You could design your own card deck within the app and play Sabaac while you wait for people to show up, or as part of your game itself.  Wookieepedia has many fine images that might allow you to display what particular adversaries look like.  There is all sorts of stuff you can do, because Roll20 is pretty flexible.

And now, with the dice app above, you can actually execute the whole game in the Roll20 app without having to rely on people rolling off screen and relaying what they rolled.

There are a fair number of Roll20 videos up on YouTube if you need more concrete usage examples.

• Jaarka likes this

Freelance Editor and Writer  (Ed: Rogue Trader: Faith and CoinStar Wars: Age of Rebellion Beta and Core) - Contributor of the Skill Monkey segments to The Order 66 Podcast - Bon Vivant and gadabout town. www.MadAdventurers.com

#7 TommyC

TommyC

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback.  

My group uses MapTool. I'll have to check out Roll20.

Currently the tool helps track the Destiny Pool and Dice Rolling.  If you have any suggestions on EotE specific features that I can include I would be happy to consider them.

• SilverSpider22 likes this

#8 daddystabz

daddystabz

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

I play some games over Google + Hangouts.  How can I install this as a tool?

#9 TommyC

TommyC

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Just click on the red Google + image in the original post and it will open a Hangout with the extension available.

From then on you will have that extension available until you choose to remove it.  

#10 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

Hi Tommy,

I actually think your tool should stay slim, to be most useful. Really it already has what is most needed. Maybe an initiative tracker that works like the initiatitive is meant to work in EotE would be good, but many other tools (maptool,Roll20) already have a tracker. Personally, I just put tokens on a map to do the initiative.

One nice feature would be to make your tool take less space. In Google Hangout, with Roll20 launched, it leaves little space for other app.

Thanks again for doing that tool

Cheers

Ceodryn

#11 TommyC

TommyC

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

That was my thinking as well, Ceodryn. Keep these tools focused on EotE specific and rely on well established tools for general purpose gaming tools. 

As far as the size, as far as I can tell there is no way to control the width of a Google extension. It is either full page or that width side panel. I will do some investigation on this.

#12 wackydave

wackydave

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Ok i am a truck driver who would love to play rpgs and have ordered the eote beginner set i also play xwing. But i am really intrigued on how i can play remotely with a group can anyone hlp me to do this i hear you using hangout and roll 20 i wanna join the fun.

#13 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

Hi TommyC,

I have now been using your tool with Hangouts and Roll20 a few times, and it works really well. In regards to "making it slim", I was just wondering whether  a graphical redesign, that is reducing the size of the dices and font of the number of dices could work. However it isn't a big deal, we didn't really miss the space once we get used to zoom in Roll20.

One feature that would be nice is the ability to clear your dice pool. After I roll, if my next check is very different, I have to make sure I don't retain any of the old dices and I have to click (-) several times. A button to clear all the pool would be great.

That is all, great tool, and with Hangouts and Roll20, EotE becomes really fun!

Cheers

Ceodryn

#14 MSE-6

MSE-6

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

It's not a full clear, but clicking on each die clears it to 0.

#15 Azai

Azai

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Is it possible to get this tool onto your PC? As a stand-alone software?

I play with a group but with the lack of dice out right now, this would be really useful to use when the dice rolling gets pretty high. (Hate doing rerolls especially when trying to keep track of a lot of advantage/threat)

I also would like to avoid creating a google+ account.

#16 TommyC

TommyC

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:23 AM

Sorry I missed the posts here.  

@Ceodryn: Thanks for the feedback.  AFAIK the width that an extension uses is fixed.  I cannot make this larger or smaller, so I sized the elements to fit the available space.

As MSI-6 discovered clicking on the dice will clear their value.

@Azai, I know it is a long time since your post but for others that are looking for a Dice tool take a look at http://game2.com/eote/ 

This Hangout Extension is based off that dice roller (written by the GM of our group).  Just point your browser to it and there is no need to log into anything.

• Jaarka likes this

#17 Gallandro

Gallandro

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

So you can use this rolkerbin a Hangout without using an additional service like Roll20?

Yancy

#18 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

It's not a full clear, but clicking on each die clears it to 0.

AHHH Thanks for this! Helpful.

I finally got to try this out last weekend in prep for the game being released. Works fantastic once we all got the hang of it.

#19 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

TommyC... for the record, you are a Godsend. All of my players love this  tool.

Question: Is it possible to make it so that everyone can  see the FULL results other than just the player who just rolled? (meaning the top box where all actual roll is.)

When we play in person, we all look over the results usually and all give suggestions like "All your failures came from the Setback dice... you must have tripped in the snow"... stuff like that. The way it is now, only the player who rolled can see. Explaining the dice is combersome, so we have just stopped doing it all together. This is a shame because I have a couple players who are great at this.

Edited by BrashFink, 25 July 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#20 djext1

djext1

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

I thought it showed for everyone in the chatbox?  Also it puts the last roll a person made (results) at the bottom corner of thier cam window.

My thoughts on this:  I LOVE IT!  It is so helpful and great resource for edge online players. thanks for making it available to us all :)

My questions on it:  Can we get a way to clear that result from the bottom of our webcam window?  Also how does the destiny pool work?  I could add lightside points and remove them, but couldn't see how to add darkside.   

Really great job on this with hangouts though guys...Makes our games on hangout that much better and easier!

Edited by djext1, 25 July 2013 - 10:43 AM.

The EotE Dork Night Online Gaming Group!

Broadcasting our live Google Hangout Games every couple of weeks. 

Visit our website for information about our group and our games.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS