I finally got to play my first game of Arkham Horror, solitaire style, using all expansions (and wow did I have to make room for that…)
Anyway, I lost but I thought I put on a good fight: had 4 out of 6 seals and was making for my 5th before Azathoth devoured all known reality.
Along the way I had some questions on how to play that I could not find in the manuals:
1) Tommy Muldoon came across a Moon-Beast. Because of his Pass condition on his Personal Story card, I wondered if I could fail my horror check on purpose, thus being devoured and claiming his Pass condition and selecting a new investigator. Is this legitimate, or do you have to roll and if you succeed, you keep your successes no matter if you want them or not?
2) When does a new investigator come into play after an investigator is devoured before the Ancient One awakens: immediately, or at the beginning of the next turn, before the upkeep phase?
3) William Yorick's Secrets of the Dead ability: is that 1-for-1 on the trophy or the toughness of the trophy?
4) When a Rift moves along a white/black arrow, does that trigger a Doom on the track or only when the arrow is monocolor that shares the same color as the Rift's symbol?
5) I went to the Historical Society and a janitor gave me the option to go to another location and draw two new location cards at that location, choosing the one I prefer. However, there was also a Gate present at the same location I could travel to. When traveling there do you ignore the remainder of the sentence of drawing the 2 cards and just go through the Gate, ignore the gate, or do both with the draw being first?
6) When a monster appears in an investigator's space, what happens (appearances from Other World encounters especially)?
7) Does the deputy's paddywagon "teleport" not just anywhere in Arkham, but also Dunwich, Kingsport, and Innsmouth too? Does it ignore train and boat fares?
8) When a Gate is sealed and monsters sharing its symbol on the board are returned to the cup, does this include those in the Outskirts?
9) If I ever run out of tokens, can I substitute tokens or is there a maximum limit (once you're out, you're out)?