Less than 3 heroes play

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SOGra

SOGra

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Anyone try to play with less than 3 heroes to start with a lower threat level?

Or play cooperatively with another player where one or both of you are playing with less than 3 heroes.

The rule book alludes to this kind of play as a play option. But frankly, I can never get enough heroes and allies, so I always start with three heroes. 

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

SOGra said:

Or play cooperatively with another player where one or both of you are playing with less than 3 heroes.

The rule book alludes to this kind of play as a play option. But frankly, I can never get enough heroes and allies, so I always start with three heroes. 

yes, this was the idea behind the secrecy mechanic, though i do not think it has developed enough to make it worth it. the likes of glorfindel (spirit) work perfectly for this, especially if you get light of valinor on him early on. still getting allies out quickly enough is a problem, so it needs to be a fast deck (again the idea behind secrecy)

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

SOGra said:

It can be done if the scenario contains mostly 30+ threat enemies, but as Rich said, there are not enough cards around to support such a deck in a way that it can be as suseful as a three hero deck.  Dáin and Bifur are a nice combination to run a secrecy deck. This deck allows you to play the expensive lore allies quickly and it uses all the synergies that a dwarf deck offers to you. If you can play one of the cheap lore dwarf allies on turn 1, you already have 5 WP and a good defender.

#4 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

I just made a two hero tactics deck of Legolas and Beregond, to support a heavy questing deck of Eowyn, Glorfindel, and Elrond.  It works really well. the tactics main goal is to defend and destroy enimies.  I have only tried it on JDtA, CaTC, and ITP,  which it was sucessful on all three.  Not sure how it would hold up on HoN and Hobbit Scenarions.  I actually started this deck off as a one hero deck with only legolas, and had some victories, but I had no defender for him, and occasionaly an enemy would slip in.  So, Beregond was the solution, and with sentinel he would defend the questing heroes too.  If I can, both Legolas and Beregond will get Unexpected Courage with Beregong getting it first.  The deck is pretty much built around events and attachments with some eagle allies.  My idea for the deck was to center around The Great Yew Bow, and trying to keep threat down in both decks, and it works some of the time.  I'm really liking the deck.  I need to tweek the questing deck a bit more to make even more specialized for it's task. VIlya is not used with elrond, since his role is just to quest, and the UC's are going to the tactics heroes

For two heroes solo, I like to use Glorfindel and Elrond, with Vilya being essential to the deck.

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#5 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

Tracker1 said:

I just made a two hero tactics deck of Legolas and Beregond, to support a heavy questing deck of Eowyn, Glorfindel, and Elrond.  It works really well. the tactics main goal is to defend and destroy enimies.  I have only tried it on JDtA, CaTC, and ITP,  which it was sucessful on all three.  Not sure how it would hold up on HoN and Hobbit Scenarions.  I actually started this deck off as a one hero deck with only legolas, and had some victories, but I had no defender for him, and occasionaly an enemy would slip in.  So, Beregond was the solution, and with sentinel he would defend the questing heroes too.  If I can, both Legolas and Beregond will get Unexpected Courage with Beregong getting it first.  The deck is pretty much built around events and attachments with some eagle allies.  My idea for the deck was to center around The Great Yew Bow, and trying to keep threat down in both decks, and it works some of the time.  I'm really liking the deck.  I need to tweek the questing deck a bit more to make even more specialized for it's task. VIlya is not used with elrond, since his role is just to quest, and the UC's are going to the tactics heroes

For two heroes solo, I like to use Glorfindel and Elrond, with Vilya being essential to the deck.

Yep, Elrond and Glorfindel should work fine together.

Basically, it's harder to get secrecy decks worrking when playing solo. In 2player mode it should be less difficult.

I have to say that I am quite surprised about your choice of sphere for a deck like this. If your heroes are suppused to fight, it makes little sense to keep their threat low. Shouldn't it be the other way around, a three hero fighting deck combined with a two hero questing deck?

#6 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

leptokurt said:

Tracker1 said:

Yep, Elrond and Glorfindel should work fine together.

Basically, it's harder to get secrecy decks worrking when playing solo. In 2player mode it should be less difficult.

I have to say that I am quite surprised about your choice of sphere for a deck like this. If your heroes are suppused to fight, it makes little sense to keep their threat low. Shouldn't it be the other way around, a three hero fighting deck combined with a two hero questing deck?

Even when an enemy engages with the questing deck, it's not an issue, because Beregond has sentinel and legolas has ranged. If either of them have unexpected courage. That's all the better and then they can handle multiple enemies.  

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#7 Marginal0

Marginal0

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

Theoretically it sounds like a bad idea, but maybe someone made it work. I'd be curious. :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS