Jump to content



Photo

Day and night in the CIty


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fogity

Fogity

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

I just got The City as a birthday present last week and I am going to play i tomorrow for the first time.

I want to play with most of the other expansions to, so I will be using the Time card in the game. To spice things up I intend to make this affect the city in the following ways:

a) Shops are closed during nighttime, no entering.

b) The streets are vacated during nighttime, movement in either direction.

This makes the city work very differently during the night than the day. Basically make it work as a normal region at night.

Do you, after playing The City, have any comment as to wither this is a good idea or if it is a bad idea.

 

I also wonder how you like to play with the NPC and additional boards. Officially the Grim Reaper is not to enter any of the boards but the Werewolf can. I am thinking of allowing the Reaper to move onto other boards as well, I se no big problem with allowing it.

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Fogity



#2 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Fogity said:

I just got The City as a birthday present last week and I am going to play i tomorrow for the first time.

I want to play with most of the other expansions to, so I will be using the Time card in the game. To spice things up I intend to make this affect the city in the following ways:

a) Shops are closed during nighttime, no entering.

b) The streets are vacated during nighttime, movement in either direction.

This makes the city work very differently during the night than the day. Basically make it work as a normal region at night.

Do you, after playing The City, have any comment as to wither this is a good idea or if it is a bad idea.

 

I also wonder how you like to play with the NPC and additional boards. Officially the Grim Reaper is not to enter any of the boards but the Werewolf can. I am thinking of allowing the Reaper to move onto other boards as well, I se no big problem with allowing it.

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Fogity

I think you read the rules wrong. The Reaper can enter expansionboards. Neither the Reaper or Wherewolf can enter the Inner region though..



#3 Fogity

Fogity

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

That is strange, I am pretty sure I have read that the Grim Reaper is not supposed to enter a board (at that time, the Dungeon). Well, then I do not have to houserule the Reaper at least.



#4 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Sorry for maybe sounding a bit rough. The rules about the Reaper entering any other boardregion is not covered in the rulebooks, but it is explainen in the FAQ. If you don't have read it, check it out. You can download it here on the site :)



#5 Uvatha

Uvatha

    Member

  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

I came up with this idea awhile ago.. See "The City… at Night" I didn't have the normal movement in the city though. I came up with this idea before getting The City myself but after playing it, It quickly became clear that The City doesn't need this. What I thought might be a fix for poor game design (gold item fix) turned out to be not needed at all. Although its not a bad houserule, I think adding it with other game fixes (can't take ridding horses in Dungeon etc etc) to make Talisman a little bit more realilistic would be the best.



#6 Fogity

Fogity

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Yes, it was likely you that I got that idea from, but I failed to credit.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to play it was for the flavour, and to increase the effects of the time card. Though to use this rule you pretty much need to have the regular movement at night to balance things out (and it adds even more to the theme). We aren't done with the game yet, we are saving it for later for the first time.

An other rule involving the time card we play is that it does not affect the dungeon. And the dungeon is detached from the main board which makes it only accessable through adventure cards and not escapeable through the entrance. That rule is from when I did a halloween special with the blood moon as the base.

Fogity



#7 0beron

0beron

    Member

  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Fogity said:

 That rule is from when I did a halloween special with the blood moon as the base.

Fogity

That sounds pretty creepy.



#8 Uvatha

Uvatha

    Member

  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

Fogity said:

Yes, it was likely you that I got that idea from, but I failed to credit.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to play it was for the flavour, and to increase the effects of the time card. Though to use this rule you pretty much need to have the regular movement at night to balance things out (and it adds even more to the theme). We aren't done with the game yet, we are saving it for later for the first time.

An other rule involving the time card we play is that it does not affect the dungeon. And the dungeon is detached from the main board which makes it only accessable through adventure cards and not escapeable through the entrance. That rule is from when I did a halloween special with the blood moon as the base.

Fogity

Oh yeah totally agree adds flavour indeed. You could turn around and say the Dungeon is always a night. And the other rule during night in the city is the city gate is closed so players can't leave…






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS