• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 LetsGoRed

LetsGoRed

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

Interesting. The reinforcements could be interesting and the Greyjoy card is a nice melee card.

What to make, if anything, of the last sentence?: "And who knows, there may be another surprise or two as well..."

(And I'm really itchin' for the next League storylines to come out; I was hoping that the League would start late March. I think it's time to pester Paul with an email. )

#2 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

here is what i posted on the article itself:

I like the reinforcements theme, but did lanni need MORE kneel....

I'm not sold on the GJ guy right now, especially at 4 gold.....

#3 Old Ben

Old Ben

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

Wow. Thank you for sharing this information. I find it sometimes very hard to find new information about AGOT LCG on the new website.   

#4 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

I'm not sold on the "Reinforcements" events from a deckbuilding point of view. Do you treat these as characters or events when building a deck? On the one hand, you can't use them in Setup, so they need to be considered as events. On the other hand, their end results are so character based, it's hard to want to give an event slot to them. (Although any Renown in the LCG environment rocks on 11.)

I guess I'll have to use them and see. It might also depend a lot on what some of the other "after a Reinforcement card is played" effects are. ~Lanni's kneels. What are the odds Stark's kills and Targ's discards attachments?

#5 RJM

RJM

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

Good points, ktom.  I'm hopeful for Martells reinforcement card, as they've got a bit of the 'lose a challenge intentionally' theme to synergize with already.

And like others have said, the Greyjoy character is pretty decent in melee, but for joust there are definitely better options.  If I'm playing a 4G character, I'll most likely stick with the Scalawags still.  There are enough good War crest GJ characters in my deck that I've been running 2x Power of Arms and its been great.

#6 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

Old Ben said:

I find it sometimes very hard to find new information about AGOT LCG on the new website.   

bookmark: new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp

its the GoT 'mini site' all the news is posted on the bottom right

#7 Rozy

Rozy

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

ktom said:

~Lanni's kneels. What are the odds Stark's kills and Targ's discards attachments? 

That would be nice, it would be worth playing in Stark deck if they would allow some aditional kill, but as always it seems a little too good so I am expecting some limitation, like kill a character with STR 2 or lower. And I dont really think that Targ needs some aditional attachment discards, seems like they already have plenty of them.

Btw I think that the Greyjoy guy is worth playing even in joust, cause the average plot income is 3 and that would make him a standart cost for 3 STR intimidate and bicon. Imagine then when your opponent plays Empty the Vaults :)

On the top of that, did you notice that there is something in the end mentioning that we can expect one or two surprices? I can imagine two nice surprices and that would be CoreSet for Greyjoy and Martell :) What do you think...?

#8 Max Wax

Max Wax

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:40 AM

Rozy said:

On the top of that, did you notice that there is something in the end mentioning that we can expect one or two surprices? I can imagine two nice surprices and that would be CoreSet for Greyjoy and Martell :) What do you think...?

I think it will be a reprint of fixed Jaqen H'ghar card. ;)

#9 RJM

RJM

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:48 AM

Max Wax said:

Rozy said:

I think it will be a reprint of fixed Jaqen H'ghar card. ;)

I'd actually be completely into that.  I like Jaqen's character; and it sucks that the only card of him there ever was, is banned.  I wanna use a Jaqen in a deck with Arya.  Some of my favorite stuff from the books.  :-)

#10 perthius

perthius

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:23 AM

I would love to see a new Jaqen. I think the "surpise or two" does indeed refer to some type of packs for GJ & Martell. The way it's worded seems to suggest that's the case, that's the way I read it anyway.

#11 Rozy

Rozy

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:19 AM

RJM said:

I'd actually be completely into that.  I like Jaqen's character; and it sucks that the only card of him there ever was, is banned.  I wanna use a Jaqen in a deck with Arya.  Some of my favorite stuff from the books.  :-)

Actually it is not the only Jaqen. There is an other one in WNE. And I dont think we need right now a new fixed Jaqen, but the GJ and Martell "starter" decks would be very welcome in the LCG format by lots of players.

#12 RJM

RJM

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:33 AM

Rozy said:

RJM said:

Actually it is not the only Jaqen. There is an other one in WNE. And I dont think we need right now a new fixed Jaqen, but the GJ and Martell "starter" decks would be very welcome in the LCG format by lots of players.

Huh, hadn't realized there was another Jaqen.  Either way, still want one for LCG again someday...

And definitely, a Martell/Greyjoy "core" would be fantastic.  I'm dying to have some main Martell personalities in LCG.  I've got to say Red Viper is on the top of my wish-list of reprints... Either 5KE or Winter Ed would make me happy.  Both are solid cards, and both have awesome artwork.

#13 Old Ben

Old Ben

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:52 AM

Ummh, 5KE Viper always felt a little underwhelming. I would prefer to see either the ITE or Promo Viper as a reprint with the 5KE, WED or ACoS artwork. 

I can´t imagine that the WED Viper will be reprinted anytime soon, remeber teh doomed mechanic was rotated with WED block and the WED Viper was really overpowered winning to many games alone.

@Lars: Thanky you for the link, i already knew it. It was more a general statement.   

#14 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

VED Viper never gets the attention he deserves. he is still the best of the bunch IMO.

How come that nameless reinforcement guy gets renown? Seems a little un- Nedly to me. still i agre that the card is pretty interesting adn I liek it much better than any token effect.

The Greyjoy Army does look sweet for melee.

Lanni - kneel again? Its getting silly now. Damn, do we need cancels and immunity back in a big way.

#15 bloodycelt

bloodycelt

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hmm.. Martel reprints:

ACoS Arriane Martel possibly with Vengeful and/or noble crest. (Depends on noble crest support... we don't want another locked fiasco).

5KE Red Viper

A Doran Martel with the learned crest and either of these abilities:

1.) Kneel to redirect a challenge to another player.

2.) Limited Response: Kneel Doran and X influence to change a target of a card effect unless the opponent kneels X influence or pays X gold.

3.) Response: After a player has declared attackers, kneel doran to choose one of the attackers. Stand that character and take control of it until the end of the challenge.

<-- Or something that reflects his nature in the books...

ASoT Nymeria Sand, take away the doomed and +1 to her gold cost.

5KE Myrcella Lannister.

WED Ellaria Sand

A Taste for Blood

WED House Messenger

#16 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

Don't forget "The Viper's Bite." The game needs cancels!

#17 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

Actually I'd like Greyjoy to get/keep cancels and Martell to get their copying back. Bring some sort of neutral  cancel back but keep it contingent on something (no influence or higher intiative, kneeling a character or influence, or paying gold, etc.)

These two things would help make Greyjoy and Martell more competitive.

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

#18 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

Stag Lord said:

How come that nameless reinforcement guy gets renown? Seems a little un- Nedly to me. still i agre that the card is pretty interesting adn I liek it much better than any token effect.

I'll agree that the card spoiled is a little oddly named to have renown (or even be a reinforcement at all. ~hey! Look that dumb ass recruit who got lost is back, huzzah!!!!)

Overall though i don't have a problem with reinforcements getting renown.

Villager #1 "hey, did you hear our side won that last battle!!"

Villager #2 "yeah my cousin, who's husband is in one of the regiments, said that the reinforcements by [insert card name here] where what turned the battle."

Village #1 "well thank the seven for [insert card name here]!"

now you see why i don't like the name...missing recruit???!!!??? I guess maybe it justifies they stelath you might notice if a whole other army shows up but would the other side notice one missing recruit

#19 RJM

RJM

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

Old Ben said:

Ummh, 5KE Viper always felt a little underwhelming. I would prefer to see either the ITE or Promo Viper as a reprint with the 5KE, WED or ACoS artwork. 

I can´t imagine that the WED Viper will be reprinted anytime soon, remeber teh doomed mechanic was rotated with WED block and the WED Viper was really overpowered winning to many games alone.

@Lars: Thanky you for the link, i already knew it. It was more a general statement.   

Yeah, having not played AGoT back in Winter Ed, I totally forgot he has that silly little doomed crow icon.  He is really strong though.  If they just used the art, I'd still be happy.  Next to the newest Daenerys, and Rhaegar... the 5KE and WED Vipers are some of my all time favorite character art.

5KE isn't the most overwhelming card, but I think he'd definitely be playable in the LCG format, and had an impact just the same.  There really hasn't ever been a BAD Viper that I can tell looking back at the history of the game.  Some are just MORE better. ;-)

And hear-hear to the needing more cancels.  Viper's Bite would be a nice fit as mentioned. 

#20 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:21 AM

Lars: that does make sense.

And right next tolocation control and swarm control- we need cancels back in this game so badly right now its not funny. LCG is developing nicely - but unitl Paper Shield and the like come back, it still feels like Thrones lite.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS