Piercing Armor?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 puenboy

puenboy

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm new here, but I have noticed that ships in the rulebook have an armor value that goes upwards to 20- far more than the maximum damage of all the weapons. My question is, how are the ships supposed to be damaged then?

#2 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

First, lances ignore armor. Second, see the strength stat on your ships weapons? The degrees of success you get equal extra shots hitting from the same salvo. Roll the total damage from all the hits, minus those stopped by the shields, and add it together. This is the damage value you apply to the enemy's armor and hull.example: a macrocannon with strength four and damage of 1d10+4 rolls to hit the target with armor of 18 and hull points of 65. The attacker rolls and gets a bajillion degrees of success. With a strength of four this means the macrocannon hit four times. The target has one shield and it stops one hit. The three remaining hits get the target for 3d10+12. Rolls come up 7,8,9, for a total of 36 damage. The 18 armor blocks 18 damage and the rest is applied to the hull.

You can also combine multiple macrocannons together and fire them with a single roll. This allows the damage to get quite high, and a good gunner can obliterate smaller ships in single turns. I hope that helps you.

#3 puenboy

puenboy

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Can you also explain the critical hit system? The threshold thing confuses me.

#4 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

If you get degrees of success on the attack roll equal to the critical rating of the weapon, you get a critical hit, regardless of hull points left. Roll 1d5 and consult the crit chart. Apply the result. Not however that in order to pick a component to apply a critical hit to, you must have done a focused scan and detected the component. Otherwise the GM picks what component is hit.

#5 puenboy

puenboy

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Does the initial degree of success coun towards the critical rating?

#6 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I believe it does, but on another question do you always roll 1d5 on the Critical Hit chart? I thought it was only roll 1d5 if no damage was inflicted, and 1d10 otherwise.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#7 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

Cryhavok said:

You can also combine multiple macrocannons together and fire them with a single roll. This allows the damage to get quite high, and a good gunner can obliterate smaller ships in single turns.

You roll for each macrobattery, then combine the hits. 

Example: First battery: 2 hits. Second battery: 4 hits. Shields (usually) remove 1 hit. 2+4-1= 5 hits total. Subtract armor (once) from the damage total.

#8 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

puenboy said:

Does the initial degree of success coun towards the critical rating?

I asked FFG about that a while back, and got an answer from Sam Stewart.

Q: In order to get a crit you need "a number of successes equal to the weapon's Crit rating" (page 220).

What does "successes" mean here? Is it the same as "degrees of success"? Does simply succeeding on a Test mean 0 "successes"?

A: Crits need a number of Degrees of Success. Simply succeeding earns you no Degrees of Success. Sorry for the confusion there.

#9 puenboy

puenboy

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

I am also confused about Lance strength. So you have to roll at least 40 lower than normal to get another hit? Say, if I have a BS of 60, do I have to roll a 20 or a 30 to score another hit? Is this dependent on the lance strength? As in, if a lance has a strength of 1, it will never score more than one hit regardless of how many degrees of success you roll?

#10 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

puenboy said:

I am also confused about Lance strength. So you have to roll at least 40 lower than normal to get another hit? Say, if I have a BS of 60, do I have to roll a 20 or a 30 to score another hit?

30. 60-30= 30 = 3 Degrees of Success.

"For each full 10 points by which the Characteristic was exceeded, one degree of success is achieved" (p 231).

puenboy said:

Is this dependent on the lance strength?

Yes.

puenboy said:

As in, if a lance has a strength of 1, it will never score more than one hit regardless of how many degrees of success you roll?

Yes. And since shields remove one hit, it will never score an actual hit on a ship that still has shields up. (Fire macrobatteries first, to bring down the shields.)

Note that crits depend on "Degrees of Success", not "hits". So in this case a lance with a Crit Rating of 3 will score a critical hit due to the 3 Degrees of Success, even if it doesn't get through the shields.

#11 Blink Dog

Blink Dog

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

Macrobatteries can sum their damage to overpower the armor, subjet to several rules in the corebook,  Lances ignore armor entirely, and Boarding/Hit and Run also ignore armor while dealing some damage.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS