• 637 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

Outter rim smuggler - 27

Gunner - 5

Outter rim smuggler - 27

Gunner - 5

Outter rim smuggler - 27

Gunner - 5

That leaves 4 points for some missle of some type if you want one. I can't think of a really good list that would be able to smash this or even touch it really. If you destroy one, so what? Thoughts?

#2 Endgame124

Endgame124

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

You can't take missiles on the outer rim smugglers.  For your 4 points, you could, however, add 2 mercenary copilots.

In think the major failing of this list is its low on firepower.  Its kind like running the 5 Y Wing list, but with fewer hit points and more 360 fire.  Its worth a shot, but you'd probably be better off running a different ship than the 3rd smuggler.

#3 Herrgeist

Herrgeist

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Similarly what about 3 Bounty Hunters?

#4 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Wedge would kill this list.  You have no defence against his three attack dice.  Also if you shoot all three ships at him you are only rolling two dice to his two dice.  No to mention his support ships will shoot at you as well.

#5 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

nimdabew said:

That leaves 4 points for some missle of some type if you want one. I can't think of a really good list that would be able to smash this or even touch it really. If you destroy one, so what? Thoughts?

I think Picasso is being very polite by only pointing out Wedge as a counter.

By analogy, consider a Wave 1 list composed of 4 Gold Squadron Pilots, each with an Ion Cannon Turret. It's a terrible list, and I think most people would agree that it's not terribly good in a dogfighting scenario--not hopeless, but likely to get torn up pretty badly most of the time. In comparison to 3 Outer Rim Smugglers with Gunners, however:

• it's more durable (32 hit points versus 30)
  • it has more firepower (4 attacks instead of 3)
  • it's more maneuverable (similar dial on a smaller base)
  • it's more forgiving of error and bad luck (lose a smaller portion of your firepower for each lost ship)
  • it has more board control (ion cannons)

Even with the Gunner, 2 Attack is unlikely to hit an Imperial fighter (back-of-the-envelope math says it's about 50/50), and it won't do substantial damage to a Rebel fighter. Meanwhile, even setting aside the generally improved attack profile of Wave 2, a reasonable list from either faction in Wave 1 is going to chew through your hit points at a rate of 6-8 per round--and the ORS fires last.

One ORS is a potentially interesting substitution for a Y-wing in a 4-ship list. Three just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

#6 a4rino

a4rino

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Some others have already alluded to this but it's going to be very difficult to deal much damage with that list. I've found that a winning strategy for rebels is to pile on the firepower in order to take down a couple of flimsy Empire ships early. With only two attack dice vs the typical three defense dice (for all Empire ships except Firespray), these Smugglers probably won't even take TIEs down very quickly (Gunner or no Gunner), and as a result you'll probably fail to deprive your opponent of his own firepower. I think a simple swarm of 7 or 8 TIE Fighters could present these Smugglers with too many targets to take down efficiently, and given the YT's large base it won't be difficult to get the TIEs within range 1, rolling 3 attack dice vs your 1 defense. Perhaps you could try to maneuver out of their firing arcs, but with 8 of them I imagine it would be pretty difficult to make all of them miss. I just don't see this list being effective.

#7 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

Even the M-Flacon has a hard time dealing out any damage consumerate to its point costs.  I think this list would be very much out gunned against any force.

Enimo Et Fide

#8 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

The YT-100 is only effective when supported by other ships.  If you want a tank list swap the YT-100s for a named pilot and two Y-wings. Also the larger ships survive by upgrades. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS