The Maker's Eye: Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Burn

Burn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

So I was playing with a friend the other day and he played The Maker's Eye. I was playing Jinteki and had three Fetal A.I. (s) in my deck. He only had two cards in has hand. In the three cards he drew from the R&D two of them were Fetal A.I. (s). So here's the question:

When you play The Maker's Eye, do you access all the cards simultaniously or do you access each on seperately? If it's simultanious than he would have died. If it was seperately he would have been able to take the two damage, score the agenda and win the game before he accessed the second Fetal A.I.

What do you all think?

#2 Damocles346

Damocles346

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Cards are accessed one at a time, and any card text is resolved in the order the runner choose to access them in. so, say the runner gets into your server that has one unrezzed upgrade and one fetal AI. The runner chooses between the two facedown cards which to access first. Maybe they access your upgrade first, and spend credits to trash it. Now when they access Fetal AI, they don't have enough credits to steal it… Suckers. It's what they get for being runner scum. :)

#3 Burn

Burn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Awesome.

Thanks for the answer.

Intersting too. Since the answer was something completely different than either of the two answers I was expecting!

#4 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Also note that the damage dealt by Fetal AI comes before the runner even decides what to do with it (while damage dealt by Core Jinteki comes after) and that the runner doesn't have to pay extra costs to steal an agenda. The timing is:

1. Access Fetal AI
  2. Suffer 2 net damage for Fetal AI
  3. Steal Fetal AI; trash it with Imp or Demolition Run; or leave it
  4. If stolen, suffer 1 net damage (if the corp is Jinteki Personal Evolution)
  5. Access the next card

#5 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Khudzlin said:

Also note that the damage dealt by Fetal AI comes before the runner even decides what to do with it (while damage dealt by Core Jinteki comes after) and that the runner doesn't have to pay extra costs to steal an agenda. The timing is:

1. Access Fetal AI
  5. Access the next card

Gotta point out to the OP as the bolded part may cause some confusion: Khudzlin is referring to other, more usual forms of agendas. Fetal AI, which specifies a cost in order for it to be stolen, must be paid in order for the runner to take it.

#6 Carist

Carist

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

Khudzlin said:

1. Access Fetal AI
  5. Access the next card

I thoguht you weren't allowed to just leave an agenda you access.  

Page 18 of the rulebook:

The Runner cannot decline to steal agendas he accesses. 

Is this a special case with Fetal AI because it has a cost to steal?  I have been playing it like encountering tollbooth, if you have the credits you must pay them.

#7 Amuk

Amuk

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

Carist said:

Khudzlin said:

1. Access Fetal AI
  5. Access the next card

I thoguht you weren't allowed to just leave an agenda you access.  

Page 18 of the rulebook:

The Runner cannot decline to steal agendas he accesses. 

Is this a special case with Fetal AI because it has a cost to steal?  I have been playing it like encountering tollbooth, if you have the credits you must pay them.
The new FAQ answers this question:

Can the Runner decline to pay 5[c] to steal an agenda that is
accessed in a server with Red Herrings? The rules say that the
Runner cannot decline to steal an agenda.

Red Herrings requires the payment of an additional cost, and
the Runner can choose to not pay this cost. While the Runner
cannot decline to steal an agenda, he can decline to pay the
additional cost, and therefore the agenda is not stolen. This also
applies to Fetal AI.

Cordially,

Amuk

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel & a comedy for those who think." - Jean de la Bruyère

#8 Carist

Carist

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Thanks, Amuk! That came up in a game yesterday where stealing the Fetal AI would end up flatlining the runner. 

#9 Burn

Burn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Wow, this is all really interesting stuff. I'm glad I asked this question as it spawned a bunch of really good things I hadn't thought about.

#10 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

You're welcome.

#11 Amuk

Amuk

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

Carist said:

Thanks, Amuk! That came up in a game yesterday where stealing the Fetal AI would end up flatlining the runner. 

I live to serve.

Cordially,

Amuk

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel & a comedy for those who think." - Jean de la Bruyère

#12 Evazorek

Evazorek

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

If he accessed two fetal AI using maker's eye out of the three cards he MUST access then he is still dead with only 2 cards in hand. Soon as he accesses both of those the 4 net damage is done and then he is dead. Running maker's eye on Jinteki is a dangerous game :)

#13 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

Burn said:

So I was playing with a friend the other day and he played The Maker's Eye. I was playing Jinteki and had three Fetal A.I. (s) in my deck. He only had two cards in has hand. In the three cards he drew from the R&D two of them were Fetal A.I. (s). So here's the question:

When you play The Maker's Eye, do you access all the cards simultaniously or do you access each on seperately? If it's simultanious than he would have died. If it was seperately he would have been able to take the two damage, score the agenda and win the game before he accessed the second Fetal A.I.

What do you all think?

When the run is declared successful, you declare how many cards you are accessing (cards like Medium allow you to choose). You then access the cards one at a time until you have accessed all the cards you declared. If, at any time, the runner has 7 Agenda points, the game immediately ends in a Runner victory. So, in this case, the runner would win before accessing the second Fetal AI.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS