Photo

Corillian Gunship project (not Corvette blockade runner)

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hey guys, I know everyone is hyped up about the wave 2 ships this week but I wanted to share this project.  I was a big Star Wars Rebellion PC gamer, and the Corillian Gunship was one of my favorites beside the imperial Lancer.  Anyhow, I searched online and found detailed drawings of the hull and plucked measurements from Wookiepedia.  This gunship is 120 m long, so in 1:270 it would be 44.4 cm or 17.3".  I plan to use it in a mission where my boys will have to fight past the ship to and from an objective.  The mission will be three battles and will last multiple days.  With that said, There is plenty of work to be done.  

According to Wookiepedia, the CG has 8 twin barrel cannons and 6 quads.  I want to use pre-made gun barrels because I could not hope to get the detail I want.  

I'm thinking that the CG would be worth 200 point in the game + 100 points of rebel fighters v 300 points of imps.  I might have to revamp this, as the imps will be attacking a moon base that might have ground defenses.  

1st battle:  300 pts of imps must get past the CG.

2nd battle: Remnants of 300 pt imps attack base defended by 100pts of rebel fighters (possibly with meager ground support, depending on 1st battle's results).

3rd battle: After the imps destroy their objective, they must return the their own base.  Consequently, the CG is stil in orbit and waiting.  The rebel fighters are also chasing after the imperial invaders.  

Please feel free to post recomendations or ideas.

Thanks for reading.

• GroggyGolem likes this

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#2 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I forgot to publish these links..

Basic info and pics on the gunship…

http://echostation57...as-looking-for/

Wookiepedia's article on the Corillian gunship.

Bulldog

#3 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

That is rad! Great craftsmanship on it too.  The gunship always has been my favorite rebel capital ship.  Looking very forward to seeing it completed and painted.

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

#4 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

Good work with the wood, I never see something like this, congratulations, will you paint the ship???, greettings

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#5 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for the kind words.  I started painting tonight.  I used to really enjoy painting historical minis, so this is going to be a blast.  I'll post progress photos.  I have some neat ideas for the engines.  I wish I had the supplies to light'er up!  

Bulldog

#6 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

Viceroy Bolda's Wife: Honey? Honey! Why does the table only have three legs and a stack of milk crates holding it up now? 

:)

Really cool, man! Very curious to see the finished product!

As for the engines, LEDs controlled by an Arduino board perhaps? Might even be able to get a cool glow effect with some strategicially placed electroluminescent wire… 

#7 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Cid,

It's like you were there, man.  I couldn't use the table for xwing if I canibalized it to make crafts.  I instead used banister spindles.  I have way more than I need to hold up the railing.  I looked into the options you proposed.  Thanks for the ideas.  Lots of potential there. 

Today I rubbed the pieces down with wood putty to give it a nice texture and fill in the grain.  Yes yes, I couldv'e used a sadable primer for some of it.  I'll be sanding this stuff smooth once it dries. I went to Menards yesterday and found a $1 rejected paint quart on the bargain shelf which will work perfectly for this project.  Winning!  

In the meantine I've scoured the house for bits of metal for the engines.  Having an old house can have its advantages.  I've not smoothed over the engines because I like the texture that they already have.  

I was playing with some friends yesterday and Someone overheard me talking about this project and asked if they could play the campaign.  What is the space equivalent of a Dungeon Master?  

Thanks for looking.

Bulldog

#8 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

The fordward gun platforms are mounted and the bridge windows are roughed out.  The engine housing is primed and ready for assembly.  

Still lots of filing and sanding to do.  

Bulldog

#9 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Working on the powertrain.  This is what it looks like before adding the shrouding.  I'm still tinkering, so I'm sure to make some further adjustments.  

This is kind-of what the ngine compartment will look like when assembled.  I've started to paint the body, as you can see in the picture below.  The color is a grey/tan.  I will blackwash it when I am done.  That will not only darken the final color, but will also fill in every crack and cranny for an old and dirty look.  

Thanks for looking!  

Bulldog

#10 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

So do you plan to paint all???, it will be great, Congratulations for the project, greettings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#11 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

Kaxel,

Yes sir.  I plan to paint the entire model.  I would like to mimic the red accents in the image linked below.  Notice the rings around the guns on the top and bottom of the craft.  I especially like the nose art.  

http://starwars.wiki...Gunship-SWR.png

Thanks for looking.

Bulldog

#12 riplikash

riplikash

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

That is beautiful and I love you for posting it.

The Lancer and the Corellian Gunship are two of my favorites as well. I can't wait to see the finished product.

What kind of wood are you using? Is that pine, or something harder?

#13 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

riplikash said:

The Lancer and the Corellian Gunship are two of my favorites as well. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Ha ha ha!  Thanks man.  The plank to which the engine tubes are mounted is oak.  Most of the other parts are pine.  The metal bits are self evident.  I want to give special attention to the areas that people will most likely look at, the bridge, the engines, the markings, and the guns.  I might use some cedar moth balls 1/2'ed for turrets.  I'm not sure what I'm gong to use for barrels yet.  I could use some help with that.  

I'm surprised more people don't know about the anti-starfighter gunships!  The huge capital ships are cool, especially Super Star Destroyers, but it was a single fighter which destoryed the Death Star(s).  These small capital ships were designed to thwart that menace.  Suposedly some Corillian Gunships were captured and used by the Empire, but I'm still looking for a small imp. capital ship to reproduce in our scale.  

The IPV-1 System Patrol Craft would be simple to make and would only be about 55.5cm (21.85 in.) long.

The Imperial Action IV Transport Patrol Craft would be a little bit more work to create but is also a realistic project at 37cm (14.5 in) long.  

I'm open to other suggestions as well. 

I have an 80x60" Death Star Run set up in the basement built on two old sliding closet doors.  The details are "meh" at best, but it is certainly a big enough battlefield for two small capital ships and fighters.  

I smell an epic battle about to rage in my basement.  complice

Bulldog

#14 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

Viceroy Bolda said:

riplikash said:

Ha ha ha!  Thanks man.  The plank to which the engine tubes are mounted is oak.  Most of the other parts are pine.  The metal bits are self evident.  I want to give special attention to the areas that people will most likely look at, the bridge, the engines, the markings, and the guns.  I might use some cedar moth balls 1/2'ed for turrets.  I'm not sure what I'm gong to use for barrels yet.  I could use some help with that.  

I'm surprised more people don't know about the anti-starfighter gunships!  The huge capital ships are cool, especially Super Star Destroyers, but it was a single fighter which destoryed the Death Star(s).  These small capital ships were designed to thwart that menace.  Suposedly some Corillian Gunships were captured and used by the Empire, but I'm still looking for a small imp. capital ship to reproduce in our scale.  

The IPV-1 System Patrol Craft would be simple to make and would only be about 55.5cm (21.85 in.) long.

The Imperial Action IV Transport Patrol Craft would be a little bit more work to create but is also a realistic project at 37cm (14.5 in) long.  

I'm open to other suggestions as well. 

I have an 80x60" Death Star Run set up in the basement built on two old sliding closet doors.  The details are "meh" at best, but it is certainly a big enough battlefield for two small capital ships and fighters.  

I smell an epic battle about to rage in my basement.  complice

Pics or it didn't (won't? Hasn't yet? Not sure what the future tense of this meme is) happen!

As for the gun barrels, brass tubing maybe? I don't know how small that stuff goes, but it'd be a little more rigid than plasticard tubing and perhaps more durable. Probably have to cut it with a hacksaw though to keep from bending it shut when you cut it. Or I don't know, but what about coffee stirrers? 

#15 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Brass tubing eh?  I was thinking about something similar.  I thought about using solid core insulated wire so I could cut the insulation away to create definition.  

I'm at a standstill for the project until I can get some more sandable primer.  I'll check out some stuff at the hardware store.

I just had an idea.  Pop rivets!  I'm going to see how small I can get them.  I like the grooved rivet linked below.

http://www.directind...9185-24992.html

Bulldog

#16 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

The 1:270 Corillian gunship is moving along.  

Below: Images that I used when cutting the pieces.  Like so many other Star Wars ships, there are a number of variations.  

Below: painting has begun.  The engine compartment is assembled but not attached to the main part of the ship.

Below: again, there is a lot of work to do.  At least it is starting to look more like a ship!

Bulldog

#17 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

13 turbo-laser batteries!…….Have you come up with stats for this beast?……looks good….keep the updates coming

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#18 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

Looking good I can’t wait to see it finished.

#19 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

BigDogg said:

13 turbo-laser batteries!…….Have you come up with stats for this beast?……looks good….keep the updates coming

According to Wookiepedia, the DP20 has 6 quad barrel cannons, 8 double barrel cannons, and 4 concussion missile launchers with 30 missiles each.  

I thought about pilot skill 2 for movement

6 Quad barrels shoot at skill 5.  They get 3d each. 

8 Double barrels shoot at skill 3.  They get 2d each.  

Not sure how many concussion missiles each round, I initially thought 2, but 4 would be epic.  

Hull 30

Shields 20

6 target locks ?

1 agility, because the ship is in motion.  

200 points.  

This ship is supposed to be a star fighter's worst nightmare, but I don't want it to be undefeatable.  

Once the shields are destroyed, I would like the starfighters to be able to target specific regions of the ship if they so wish.  

What do you guys think of these stats?  

Thanks.

Bulldog

#20 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

I ran across this sight some time ago and thought it had some good ideas. http://www.wwpd.net/2012/10/x-wing-last-transport-is-away.html

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS