• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

Here.

Looks like any expansions out at the time of any given tournement will be legal.

#2 musket_max

musket_max

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

It's weird that for Dark side draws they calculate the number of objectives destroyed, does this not slightly favour aggressive dark side decks in tournament play?

#3 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

DailyRich said:

Here.

Looks like any expansions out at the time of any given tournement will be legal.

Cool. Makes it easy: if you can buy it, you can play it.

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#4 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

Holliday88 said:

DailyRich said:

Here.

Cool. Makes it easy: if you can buy it, you can play it.

Just keep in mind that is only for the listed packs and expansion, it could very well not be true past that.  I'm glad they did so since the game is new, but they tend to have waiting periods for thier other stablished LCGs.

#5 Meaxe

Meaxe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

And it looks like Edge of Darkness will be released in May!!! only 2-3 months away. 

#6 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

musket_max said:

It's weird that for Dark side draws they calculate the number of objectives destroyed, does this not slightly favour aggressive dark side decks in tournament play?

musket_max said:

Unless they do a best of three they had to decide on tiebreakers. No matter what they picked, certain cards/builds would be affected.

My only issue is that a Modified Match Win is so closely weighted to a "Full" Match Win.  After 4 rounds you could easily have two players finish with a score of 12pts each.  Player A could have had a game record of 6-2 and reached that score, and player B could have went 4-4 and still scored the same.  That does not sit well with me. 

#7 Kordos

Kordos

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I don't understand why they couldn't have left it at 2 points a piece - both sides won 1 and lost 1

#8 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I asked this in the other thread, too, but what score do I award a player who gets a bye?

Also, I'm okay with it slightly (and I think ONLY SLIGHTLY) favoring aggressive builds. Time is always an issue at an event and this will hopefully mean players are encouraged to bring decks that can play quickly. Aggro seems to go faster than control in most any game I've ever played. I still think Control will have its place at the tournament table, though.

#9 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I think breaking ties differently for LS and DS wins is brilliant. I don't remember seeing that suggested on the threads earlier (forgive me if you did bring it up) but it seems so obvious now.

It's interesting to consider how this changes strategies. I feel like this doesn't punish Heart of the Empire/Trench Run tactics as badly since you still get two points for a tie. It's just that the one who wins the tie gets 3 points instead.

I'm not sure what to think about the disadvantage control decks have. Both LS and DS control decks suffer by either racking up Death Star dial ticks or destroying fewer objectives. I think the comment above about it helping people to speed the game along is valid.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#10 Niranth

Niranth

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Definitely means you want to play light side first.

#11 jasonconlon

jasonconlon

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

I really don't like that incomplete games (due to running out of time) are considered a draw.

Whoever wins the first game just has to play the second game slowly enough to force a draw, guaranteeing the win.

#12 Kordos

Kordos

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

You can usually call out slow play to the TO

If a player who has the hang of the game cannot finish a game in 20-40 mins I would be suspicious

#13 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Didn't see this so feel free to point it out if I missed it but: what do you do in case of an odd number of players.  Seems to me in a x round Swiss x of the players get screwed by no being able to score any points.  Any ideas or solutions?  My only idea is to give 2 points for a bye, but that can artificially inflate a bad players score or lower a good players score.

#14 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

What happens if game 1 goes to time? Is game 2 automatically considered a draw?

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#15 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Holliday88 said:

It's hard to imagine a single round of this game taking a full tournament timeslot, but I suppose it would force a draw.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#16 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

MarthWMaster said:

Holliday88 said:

It's hard to imagine a single round of this game taking a full tournament timeslot, but I suppose it would force a draw.

Rules say any game that goes to time is a draw so would be 1 point for each player that match. Game two wouldn't even be a factor as it never started. I cannot see a match being a single game going to time. 70 minutes is plenty of time for two let alone one game of Star Wars.

#17 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Toqtamish said:

MarthWMaster said:

Holliday88 said:

Rules say any game that goes to time is a draw so would be 1 point for each player that match. Game two wouldn't even be a factor as it never started. I cannot see a match being a single game going to time. 70 minutes is plenty of time for two let alone one game of Star Wars.

i think if game 1 times out both players get 2 points.  2 games must be played, so I would think game 2 is considered to have timed out also.

#18 jeeps

jeeps

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

I do think it's going to be interesting to see how time plays out… but in the "spirit" of the game, I am sure a polite "c'mon, dude… you're killin' me!" to speed up a turn would work… 

Peter Jacobson

Minnesota, USA

#19 Husemann

Husemann

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I noticed nobody has commented on the deck checking portion.

Feel sorry for TOs.

#20 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

flightmaster101 said:

Didn't see this so feel free to point it out if I missed it but: what do you do in case of an odd number of players.  Seems to me in a x round Swiss x of the players get screwed by no being able to score any points.  Any ideas or solutions?  My only idea is to give 2 points for a bye, but that can artificially inflate a bad players score or lower a good players score.

A bye has to count as a full win.  A player should not be eliminated from the running for first place (in a tournament with no cut especially) because they were randomly chosen to get the bye.  You just can't penalize a player for something they had zero ability to control.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS