"Ranged attack"?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

The rivendell bow gives a character a +1 attack on "Ranged Attacks". What defines a ranged attack? is it an attack made by a character with the ranged ability? Is it only attacks that actually use the ranged ability, as in, attacking an enemy engaged with another player? If so, does hand upon the bow (allows you to attack the staging area with a ranged combatant) not count as a ranged attack?

Basically, im just trying to figure out when the +1 actually applied. Thanks

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Captain Poe said:

The rivendell bow gives a character a +1 attack on "Ranged Attacks". What defines a ranged attack? is it an attack made by a character with the ranged ability? Is it only attacks that actually use the ranged ability, as in, attacking an enemy engaged with another player? If so, does hand upon the bow (allows you to attack the staging area with a ranged combatant) not count as a ranged attack?

ranged attacks are only those where the characters does the attack against an enemy engaged with another player

legolas attacking with Hands upon.. is not a ranged attack, nor does he get the +1 with the bow

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thanks. one last follow up question. The great bow from the hobbit prt 2 box set: Does having the printed range ability mean it has to be on the hero's card? or can it mean through a rivendell bow or dunedain attachement?

#4 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

If the requirement states that a trait is "printed" then it needs to be on the hero's card.  Obtaining via an attachment does not count as "printed".

#5 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

richsabre said:

Captain Poe said:

ranged attacks are only those where the characters does the attack against an enemy engaged with another player

legolas attacking with Hands upon.. is not a ranged attack, nor does he get the +1 with the bow

rich

this isn't necessarily true - the great yew bow explicitly states that you are making a ranged attack into the staging area (and thus, not a ranged attack to help another player). so, using the GYB, you could get the benefit from the rivendell bow, as well, as it is still a ranged attack.

#6 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Dain Ironfoot said:

richsabre said:

Captain Poe said:

rich

this isn't necessarily true - the great yew bow explicitly states that you are making a ranged attack into the staging area (and thus, not a ranged attack to help another player). so, using the GYB, you could get the benefit from the rivendell bow, as well, as it is still a ranged attack.

yes, i think you are right there….ok….up until now my answer was true, i was going on cards such as hands upon the bow, and didnt realise it specifically said ranged

as for captain poes 2nd question i can say with certainty that ricedwlit is correct as i had that one clarified by caleb

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#7 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

A shame that they ended up ruling it that was, since ruling it the opposite would have made ranged a little more useful in solo play, but i appreciate the answers none the less. estrella

#8 wlk

wlk

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Got an official ruling on HUTB and attack type:

Rule Question:

Is the attack provided by "Hands upon the bow" considered a "normal attack" or a "ranged attack" ?

In other words: does HUTB played on Legolas with a Rivendell Bow attached result in a +2 ranged attack against an enemy in the staging area ?

"As the card is currently worded, Hands Upon the Bow grants a normal attack and not a ranged attack.

Cheers, Caleb"

#9 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

Which is actually completely unreasonable…I mean…I think everybody imagines something like this when playing the card " You progress on your quest, you see a goblin on the distance which threatens you from progressing further, so Legolas shots an arrow and kills him straight away, because he can ! "…or something like that…so saying it's not a ranged attack is saying that shooting an arrow from 100 yards to kill an enemy is not a ranged attack…maybe Legolas can teleport behind the enemy, kill him with his arrow at close range and then teleport back in a matter of nanoseconds….

#10 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

In my opinion Celeb Grace is doing quite a few mistakes lately…this card (Hands upon the bow) should be errataed, Blocking Wargs was out and after a couple months errataed, same with the master of lore which is now half dead (more or less like the zigil miner), and then Nori (who's combo with spirit Bofur was the REAL deal)…I mean…just think before you release something…it's not like a card from the core set you've been correcting…these are the latest card from your expansions…I really don't get it…

#11 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

DevastazioneH88 said:

In my opinion Celeb Grace is doing quite a few mistakes lately…this card (Hands upon the bow) should be errataed, Blocking Wargs was out and after a couple months errataed, same with the master of lore which is now half dead (more or less like the zigil miner), and then Nori (who's combo with spirit Bofur was the REAL deal)…I mean…just think before you release something…it's not like a card from the core set you've been correcting…these are the latest card from your expansions…I really don't get it…

It always was mess from the begin……. After core set was release srtaigh away they make errata for Nazgul of Dol-Guldor and SThalin…

Then 2 times they change rules for quick strike……. But Beravur and Protector of lorien with Zigil Miner wait almost 1 year to get what they deserve.

Also there is a lot of problem with terms of the cards……Instead use the same terms they use all the time different phrases and mess themself and players.

But still si going better slowly slowly they make game better. But still sure  we need to limit draw and hand size. Other wise we will get erratas all the itme. very difficult keep balance in the game where you can draw like hell and no hand size limit.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#12 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:13 AM

Glaurung said:

Then 2 times they change rules for quick strike……. .

What are the rule changes for quick strike?  I looked around, but could not find anything.

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#13 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

Tracker1 said:

Glaurung said:

Then 2 times they change rules for quick strike……. .

What are the rule changes for quick strike?  I looked around, but could not find anything.

Yes in the first faq was rule if 1 player play quick strike another player can participate to this attack with any ranged characters. After in second faq the change now no one can participate to quick strike attack.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#14 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

DevastazioneH88 said:

and then Nori (who's combo with spirit Bofur was the REAL deal)…

That combo still works, unless I'm mistaken… They changed Nori to "Lower your threat by 1 when you play a dwarf from your hand".  You are still playing spirit Bofur from your hand, it says so specifically on the card.  

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#15 kennoastic

kennoastic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

legolas18 said:

DevastazioneH88 said:

and then Nori (who's combo with spirit Bofur was the REAL deal)…

That combo still works, unless I'm mistaken… They changed Nori to "Lower your threat by 1 when you play a dwarf from your hand".  You are still playing spirit Bofur from your hand, it says so specifically on the card.  

Using Bofur's Quest Action is not playing it from your hand, it says "put into play".

Playing from your hand would be paying 3 resources during planning phase.

#16 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Ah, I see.  Was a little confused on that, thanks for clarifying.

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS