How many A-Wings

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Weasel-Fierce

Weasel-Fierce

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

So I'm trying to work out how many A-Wings I'm going to need and I wondered what people's plans were. I generally play 100pt games and my preferred squad of choice is 4 X-Wings (Biggs, Wedge and a couple of Rookies). I also have a Y-Wing and the Falcon. Can anyone give me some guidance as to how many A-Wings to get? Obviously 4 would be the max but I can't see myself fielding them exclusively. What do you all think?

#2 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

I've preordered 2 but might buy 1 more since we sometimes like to play 150-200 points games, so it's solely because I want to be able to field ie. 3X-Wings, a couple Y-Wings and 3 A-Wings or the Millenium Falcon. Possibly there will also be campaigns/scenarios with more than 2 A-Wings. But I would never go for 4 A-Wings in a 100 point game

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#3 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

I'm starting with 2, and working my way up as I test em out.

#4 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

I ordered four, since there are squads I want to try that have four. I'd say two is reasonable, though. 

#5 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

I have two. Honestly ptl is worth the other two. 

#6 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

I won one at the KRT I played in and plan on picking up at least one more. This has more to do with loving the ship than any projected strategy at this point, to be totally honest though. 

I think the answer depends a lot on your playstyle. 

As you use Biggs and Wedge with 2 Rooks, do you find yourself firing on TIEs with only 1 hull point left? That always kind of seemed like a waste to me, so I set my A-Wing to mop-up duty. That's worked out pretty well for me. I usually fielded it as a Green Squadron Pilot (sometimes with Homers, sometimes with Deadeye + Homers), so my PR was relatively low. I found though that if I had that A-Wing follow up whatever one of my X-Wings had shot at, he could usually finish them off, which then freed up the bigger guns of the X-Wing next round for a better target. 

Does that make sense? I'm not explaining it all that well. Let me try this instead: 

I found running 4 X-Wings that I was "wasting" hits a lot. For example, let's say after a couple of game turns, a previously damaged TIE only has one Hull point left. I fly an X-Wing into Range 1 of him, spend a Focus or  Target Lock, and end up with 4 hits. He uses an Evade, but gets nothing on his rolls and takes 3 of those hits. I'd consider that 2 wasted hits as I really only needed one hit to kill him. 

Now, that in and of itself isn't such a big deal. Unless of course I passed up a Range 1 shot on a full-strength TIE who had already spent his Evade or Focus token to finish off that limper with one Hull point left. 

The A-Wing is great for finishing off the limpers. High maneuverability gets him where he needs to go, and relatively low PR means he's rolling after the big boys, so you can still apply him contextually and not feel like you're giving up a bunch and you're usually firing on ships without damage mitigating tokens. And hey, if Wedge or whoever finishes somebody off with a one-shot, it's just a couple of A-Wing dice that aren't being rolled as opposed to an X-Wing you had flying behind to hedge your bets on downing that TIE and now maybe has no valid targets. 

That was the easiest way I found to integrate one into my playstyle. Pulling in a second A-Wing would be similar, most likely. As to how many you need, it depends on your playstyle and the role you'll be putting them in. And of course, how many of the little buggers you want running around the table. 

Good luck and have fun! They're a cool little ship!

#7 Goldenfoon

Goldenfoon

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

I preordered three myself. Eventually I will probably get a fourth but I want to see how they play first. But I have feeling that they will be a fun ship to play.

#8 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

Goldenfoon said:

I preordered three myself. Eventually I will probably get a fourth but I want to see how they play first. But I have feeling that they will be a fun ship to play.

they are indeed awesome to play, i have 2 and i was only considering a 3rd at first, but now i'll definitely be picking up a 4th as well

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#9 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

Goldenfoon said:

they are indeed awesome to play, i have 2 and i was only considering a 3rd at first, but now i'll definitely be picking up a 4th as well

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#10 chromag33

chromag33

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

I fly with three X-wings, Wedge with PT/Marksman/R2-F2,Garven PT/R5-D8,Rookie pilot PT/R5-K6 /100 points. Havent had a lot of time with the Y-wing. Its a pretty good list but I've only played a few games so far. Greetings

#11 Weasel-Fierce

Weasel-Fierce

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Cid, you make perfect sense, thanks for the ideas. The only concern I would have is not being sure of finishing off the limpers, as with the way I roll, sometimes an extra dice is important!

I think I'll probably start with 2 and see how that goes.

#12 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Weasel-Fierce said:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Cid, you make perfect sense, thanks for the ideas. The only concern I would have is not being sure of finishing off the limpers, as with the way I roll, sometimes an extra dice is important!

I think I'll probably start with 2 and see how that goes.

Hey, no problem. Like I said, that's kind of how they worked out for me. Your mileage may vary. 

Have fun and good luck!

#13 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I want to try running two Green Squardon with draw their fire. 20 point meat shields that can zip around taking down 1 hull point ties. Multi purpose, opportunity strikers, kinda like  wide receivers that can take a hit on their shields for a more important alliance member like Wedge or even taking a hit for Biggs if the opportunity presents itself. 

#14 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

4-5 would be fun.  I'm really eager to see how a rebel swarm plays out.

#15 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

At 100 point level, 5 is the most that you can play. Although more than likely you won't use more than 2.

You would also be getting the Push the Limit cards, which i think you'll use more than the Awings themselves. In that sense, start with 2 and see if you make squads that you think you may need more Awings or PtL cards, and then get more. Another possibility would be winning some in tournaments as prize support.

Goood luck, and have fun! :)

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS