Expansions based on the prequels?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 XWing32

XWing32

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Despite the hate directed towards these films, any chance we may see expansions based on these? Sure would like to have a grievous or clone trooper unit card :). My guess would be no but just wanted to see everyone's thoughts on this topic.

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

If they ever do the prequels it better be as separate game and not expansion. 

#3 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

I am in the other camp; I would love to see them incorporate the prequels, as well as other elements of the extended SW universe into this game. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

divinityofnumber said:

I am in the other camp; I would love to see them incorporate the prequels, as well as other elements of the extended SW universe into this game. 

They can put them in this same game engine, fine by me. But do not mix the timelines together. That is just sloppy which is not something that FFG is.

#5 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

Toqtamish said:

divinityofnumber said:

They can put them in this same game engine, fine by me. But do not mix the timelines together. That is just sloppy which is not something that FFG is.

I agree. As much as I loved the Decipher game this was one of the issues that I really felt contributed to its decline. From a business standpoint, it makes sense to keep each film trilogy seperate and create two games from one property. However, it does dilute your player base (a little) and can appear to customers as a money grab.

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#6 XWing32

XWing32

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:47 AM

I agree to most of what is being said. The more I think about it, the more I tend to lean that if they incorporate the prequels it maybe a stand alone game..does not makes sense to mix the two trilogies in the same game. But yes, it does seem like a money grab if they do this. For now we can all enjoy this great game based on the original trilogy and cross that bridge when we get there =).  

#7 sWhiteboy

sWhiteboy

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

I definitely want the prequels included.  There really isn't any reason why they shouldn't be other than fanboys crying "no!"

And FFG doesn't care about timelines.  Look at all the dead characters who appear in the A Game of Thrones LCG (I'm talking about dead before the first book starts…history).

#8 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

There will be cards from Episodes I-III in this game and you'll be able to mix however the rules allow based on your Objective sets - mark my words. 

As far as "That's mixing timelines!" look at how a Rancor can damage an X-wing, etc. in this game already. It plays very fast and loose with the idea of the LCG "simulating" things happening in the Star Wars movies. And I am thoroughly convinced we'll see cards from Episodes VII - IX as well (which I'm all for!) in addition to more cards from the Expanded Universe novels/comics/The Clone Wars/Yoda spinoff movie, etc. Look, we have cards with pictures of Mara Jade in the core set already! Also, there's a card for "Dark Side Apprentice" (a heavy nod toward the "The Force Unleashed" video games, I think) and "Nightsisters" - whatever those are. 

So, yeah, just relax and enjoy the game - and prepare for Gungans and Ewoks to team up and defeat Emperor Palpatine and General Grievous. Or vice versa.

#9 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

Since my favorite era in this universe happens to be the one George Lucas had the least part in creating, and I don't see it as any less true to his original vision than any other era, I too would enjoy seeing the game branch out into different places along the timeline. But because so many fans favor the Classic era, and because FFG made such a clever choice in having their product lineup cater to these fans in a time where all Star Wars merchandising seems to be focused on the Prequel era, I believe that objective sets not related to the Galactic Civil War (including those based on the upcoming sequel trilogy if they go that route) ought to bear a special marker, designating them as belonging to the larger Star Wars continuity. Then, at each big event held by FFG, there could be at least one tournament in which cards bearing this marker are not allowed, therefore preventing people who dislike the prequel and EU eras from having to chase after them for competitive purposes, while still allowing them to be played by those who want to see the game grow in this direction.

@Darik: I'd say that The Force Unleashed very much belongs in this loose timeline of the Galactic Civil War, since its events lead right into the formation of the Alliance. A better example might be the fact that the Emperor's card has an image of the attack on the Jedi Temple, which occurs in the prequels, many years prior to the Original Trilogy.

#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Force unleashed is part of this time line not the prequels and I am not some fan boy saying no. Having units from two vastly different time periods is sloppy. There is no reason to think that will even happen. So far everything FFG has been done is based on the Galactic civil war time period and I see no reason to think that will change anytime soon if ever. The prequels are not as popular as the classic ones and I suspect the upcoming sequel will also be more popular than the prequels were. Most of what you listed Darik is EU stuff not outside of this timeline as we already know they have access to the EU stuff, Mara Jade was around during the civil war period.

#11 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Toqtamish said:

That is just sloppy which is not something that FFG is.

Balerion. Mother-freaking Balerion. I love FFG and what they do. But suggesting they never do crazy things with their licenses because it's somehow "sloppy" is not a strong argument.

#12 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Balerion as I recall was added under special circumstances. Not that it matters as that is AGoT and this is Star Wars. Star Wars has much wider audience as well as material. AGoT is somewhat more limited in source material. 

However if FFG even has the license for prequel stuff I still contend it needs to be kept separate when/if it ever gets created as a card game. The prequels have a large group of detractors and to add them in to this great game would unnecessarily piss them off. Whereas keeping it separate can make those that don't want them added happy and those that do want them happy as well. 

#13 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

If you look at the righthand side of the Edge of Darkness page, you can already see a Bail Organa card spoiled. Bail is alive at the beginning of the Original Trilogy, but from the small representation of the artwork shown, he doesn't look ~18 years older than he was at the end of Episode 3. So, it isn't much of a stretch to call it the first prequel card.  

#14 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

DrNate said:

If you look at the righthand side of the Edge of Darkness page, you can already see a Bail Organa card spoiled. Bail is alive at the beginning of the Original Trilogy, but from the small representation of the artwork shown, he doesn't look ~18 years older than he was at the end of Episode 3. So, it isn't much of a stretch to call it the first prequel card.  

That's another thing we can write off as being drawn from The Force Unleashed. Clearly Organa ages better than Mon Mothma.

#15 Retype

Retype

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

MarthWMaster said:

DrNate said:

That's another thing we can write off as being drawn from The Force Unleashed. Clearly Organa ages better than Mon Mothma.

Or they are just useing the point where the character was most visibly recognizable. Mon mothma will always be rememberedf from Jedi and Bale Organa is never mentioned by his full name in the original trillogy. The only way you can make a card that is clearly him is to use his likness from the prequels.

I would love to see some prequel cards, but I don't think we will see anything from episode 1 or 2. Anything we do get will most likely be from the clone wars and episode III. Even though I would love to see Qui Gon Jin and Darth Maul as characters.

#16 superradjoe

superradjoe

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

The uptight fanboys will say no regardless of how cool the cards could be.  That said, I don't see them fitting into the Jedi/Republic/S&S and Sith/Navy/S&V affiliations perfectly.

#17 thopol

thopol

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

What affiliations do you put stuff in with the prequels.  Some things make sense with Jedi and Sith, but some don't.  Would you have light and dark side clone troopers to cover before and after the order to kill the jedis?  Does the jedi card pool get a lot larger than the rebel card pool because of prequel expansions?  Do they release new affiliations like republic with either no jedi or no sith?

I'm sure there are solutions to this, but if anything says to me that they won't do explicitly prequel stuff, it's that issue.  Some one-off prequel cards, I could expect to see, but not a 'The Clone Wars' expansion.

I think EU and sequel-related expansions are more likely than prequel.

(EDIT: Ninja'd)

#18 superradjoe

superradjoe

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well, not every card in a single Force Pack has to be from the same moment in the timeline, so while one objective set could cover something on Naboo, I don't see why that would restrict another on Endor…

#19 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

I would probably prefer a separate game than expansions for this game with prequel material, partly because I couldn't stand the pages and pages of whining that would come from people who think the prequel trilogy is something worse than Hitler for them, but also because I think it would be better to have a stylistically different game for these stylistically different films. The prequels are Star Wars, though, as far as trade marks and other legalities go, and this is Star Wars: The Card Game, so purports to cover the whole saga, so who knows. The current factions would seem to preclude any prequel material, but they may break the mould sooner or later. 

There are only 18 years between the trilogies, of course, so the likelihood of seeing some folks who survived the events of RotS cropping up is that much more possible. Moff Panaka for the Imperial Navy, for example. A decrepit Watto from a Tatooine expansion, who can increase the cost for enemy units to be played or something, also springs to mind. Whether there's enough stuff to do an expansion in these terms would remain to be seen, of course. 

There is so much to enjoy about the prequels, and the stuff spawned from them in the EU. The opportunity of fielding a Count Dooku, Quinlan Vos, Mace Windu or Qui-Gon Jinn shouldn't be lost just because a small demographic will spit their dummies out as one. 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#20 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

There are two obvious issues with the incorporation of non-GCW elements into this game, one of which has been mentioned already. The affiliation system, sort of a signature element for FFG that exists, as far as I'm aware of, in each and every LCG in some form or another. Maybe the design team realized during development of the release format that factional divisions would be necessary to mitigate the ever-expanding card pool without the use of a block system. If so, that's not something that could have been avoided.

The Death Star dial, though, could have been. Don't get me wrong: I love the time-limit it imposes on the game. But it does feel like a tacked-on afterthought to some degree and might have been thrown in to assuage fans' fears that the game would eventually visit eras in which the Death Star does not exist. I still believe that it could, but the battle station is of course emblematic of the Classic era.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS