Help me play Weyland

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonCarpenter

BrandonCarpenter

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I want to go outside my comfort zone and try Weyland. I see the cards, and they look like good cards, but I see them from the perspective of making my other faction deck better. I'm looking for advice on how to think like a Weyland player. What should I look out for when playing, corp-wise and runner-wise? Common traps I should avoid when deck building? Stuff like that.

Impressions I have looking through the cards:

• I'm going to need crazy credit generation if I'm going to be advancing so much stuff.
  • I'm worried that if I'm spending credits advancing ice, agendas, and ambushes, then I'm either not going to have a lot of ice, or I'm going to max out at one remote server
  • IF I'm worried about remote servers, I'm worried about assets; having them, protecting them, etc.
  • I count two transaction operations, so I'm looking at only six credits from my Identity

None of these seem appealing tome, which is why I'm going to need to be educated in the ways of Weyland in order to change my opinion.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

just focus on any cards that net you $$. Weyland LOVES credits. Don't try and do a Tag N Bag with them, they don't have enough to do it well right now even though they Weyland has Scorched Earth.

check out my thread with my updated Weyland deck in it.

#3 Defenstrator

Defenstrator

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

I know your feeling. When I first looked at Weyland I was like "So what's their trick?".

The answer is they don't really have or need tricks. They've got lots of money and great ice, and play a very direct game of grinding the runner down with the amount of resources the Runner has to spend to get at you, with a secondary win condition with Scorched Earth.

Just play them for a bit to get the feel, then start adding a few traps to start screwing with the Runners. Aggressive Secratary is especially nasty in Weyland because without the right programs all their End of Run ice will leave the Runner trapped outside while you do what you want.

#4 Pwnius

Pwnius

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

Only advance a single ice.  Dont advance all of your ice.  A woodcarver with 15 advancements is pretty hard to defeat.  you can lay it on thick on the other servers.

Play commerialization and archived memories.  Once you have that 15 advancement woodcarver that makes a TON of credits.

Drop a pad campaign (face down) behind that woodcarver.  LOL when they spend 15 credits to get through it.

Project atlas is the best agenda in the game.

SeaSource + 2 Scorch wins you the game as soon as you are 7 credits ahead.

#5 BrandonCarpenter

BrandonCarpenter

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

Made my first deck, and subsequently lost.

What I tried:

• Attempted a slow play deck by splashing in ambushes, like Junebug and Ghost Branch.
  • Inceased deck to 59 cards and included only high point agendas to decrease the chance of the runner top decking R&D.
  • Tried using Trick of Light, Kaguya, and Matrix Analyzer for Advamcement token manipulation. (My favorite MagiNation region was the Weave and I was hoping for a little of that)

What I think went wrong:

• Just too many cards: Could have been a bad shuffle, but I wasn't pulling agendas. I was so worrried to spend more than one click drawing a card.
  • ToL just wasn't that useful to me: I thought about having it to move tokens off ambushes, but too few and far between to really help me. And it's an Inf monger.
  • Only one 3 adv agenda: My BH deck had almost all quick scoring angendas and it ruined any chance of me bluffing. This time around it took too long for me to advance anything.

What I did like:

• 14 Str Hadrian's just ruined the runner's day.
  • Never really worried about credits like I thought I would. I easily covered the cost of that Hadrian.
  • If I could get an agenda or two, then my big remote server could've carried me the whole game. The Runner spent so much time building credits that he couldn't affored to run every turn.

This next time around, I'm gonna keep Matrix and shift to a few more cards to stifle the runner's credits, like tagging cards and Closed Accounts. Also going to drop Junebug for Secretary. I'm going to also to focus on advancing less ice, but advancing one of two every turn and maintain 1-2 protected remote servers max. Still not sold on Weyland just yet…

#6 Pwnius

Pwnius

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

BrandonCarpenter said:

• included only high point agendas to decrease the chance of the runner top decking R&D.
  • Just too many cards: Could have been a bad shuffle, but I wasn't pulling agendas. I was so worrried to spend more than one click drawing a card.

^^ These things MAY be related!!  Since you must include 20 agenda points in your 49 card deck, the expected value of an R&D run will ALWAYS be ~.4 agenda points.  Playing all big agendas only increases the variance, and makes it hard to hit the exactly 7 points that you need to win!

You want to play 3 priority requisitions and the rest of your deck 1-2 point agendas.  1 points are needed for archer.

I also tried TOL and found it to be terrible, especially for influence.  It is msot useful for playing and advancing a 3 cost agendas in 1 turn.

Project atlas is the best agenda in the game.  Scored with 2 tokens early it is almost impossible to lose.

#7 Pwnius

Pwnius

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

BrandonCarpenter said:

• I count two transaction operations, so I'm looking at only six credits from my Identity

There are 3 transactions:

Beanstalk Royalties

Hedge Fund

Commercialization

You can replay them with Archived Memories and fetch them with project atlas.

Hostile takeover gives you credits too.

#8 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Hi Pwnius,

I share the love for Project: Atlas, but what two cards do you usually get when you have those two counters on it? Transactions to get some more money or some kind of Sea Source+Scorched Earth combo to burn the runner down?

or something else? I really want to play Weyland and I like the idea of project Atlas setting up a combo, but I need more data (heh) to get it reliably going.

Thanks!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS