• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

Hey everybody,

I've seen some pretty nice non-regulation playmats and ship designs so I figured, "why not."  I made up this 6' trench scenario from things around the house.  The play surface is 60x80".  yeah, yeah.  I know it is not high quality, but it was cost effective and within my skill level.  I still need to make gun emplacements and whatnot (some on the surface, some on the towers).  I made up mock 200 point forces and played a mock game to see how things might play out.  

Anyhow, I know that many others have played this scenario and I wanted to ask if there were any house rules that they found necessary.  

In the films, the rebels were in the trench for quite a while for each run.  For our game, a ship would really only need to be in the trench for two turns (one to target lock, the other for proton torpedoes), but that does not seem true to the storyline.  Thoughts?

Also, the DS guns.  How many guns?  How many attack dice per gun?  how many HP per gun?  

Thanks and happy gaming.

• Chris Maes likes this

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#2 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

I'm working on an authentic trench run map for vassal, plus scenario ideas, and I found this inspiring. Good point about being in the trench for two turns. But I would say one turn to use an action to drop into the trench and one turn to target lock and fire.12225783616_9546dfa17c_b.jpg11983991083_b4bf3e3637.jpg

• Viceroy Bolda and QuinnCee like this

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Oh man... I'd give my eyeteeth for that original model of the trench.. lol..

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#4 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

That is Section 0000001 of his 1:1 scale model.   :)

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

Enimo Et Fide

#5 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

I may not have the original trench pieces (though I'm on the hunt for castings), I do have something that will suffice:

IMG_0360_zpsc7f98c7f.jpg

And the best part is, even though they're true to the original Death Star tiles, they are also not obtrusive when it comes to playing X-wing on them, either:

IMG_0361_zpsfa11785a.jpg

I don't have that many yet. In fact, here's the current amount:

IMG_0359_zps93115b53.jpg

But I plan on buying some casting material and resin and making several hundred, enough to cover a 4'x6' table, with a couple of trench pieces. I also want to make the DS2 surface, by leaving several patches unglued with red scaffolding underneath and a tunnel entrance. I also want to make a tunnel as well, with the three "phases" as two-piece, interconnecting sections: the "pipes", the "planes", and finally the reactor room. Each piece will be about 1'x1'x3', with the reactor a 4'x4' circular "pit". It's smaller than the true scale, but it needs to be able to fit in a gaming table.

But that'll have to wait till I have an entire summer to spend gathering materials and actually building the thing. ;)

• oneway likes this

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 5 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 E-wing

Galactic Empire: 7 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Interceptors, 3 181st TIE interceptors, 3 Royal Guard Interceptors

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#6 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

I may not have the original trench pieces (though I'm on the hunt for castings), I do have something that will suffice:

IMG_0360_zpsc7f98c7f.jpg

I must have some... where on earth did you get these?

#7 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Someone a while ago posted some quite detailed rules for Trench run scenario. Involved using an action to get into the trench, weaving whilst in the trench, where to fire from and how to consider a hit.

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 3 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#8 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

I got to say, as much as I admire those tiles, they are way off scale.

You should be able to fit four X-wings across one tile for an accurate scale.

11985908136_7e9c2d17c6_o.jpg

46.71 / 11.13 = 4.19

Edited by gabe69velasquez, 01 February 2014 - 12:48 AM.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 mikeyboy403

mikeyboy403

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

I think that to have a decent trench run, the size of the board will have to change, to be able to a have a good run. I think 2'×4' or 4'×6'.
The other problem will be elevation, getting in and out of the trench and shooting ships in the trench from above/outside. Has anyone designed stats for turbo laser battery's yet?

Rebels - 5 X-wings, 3× B-wings, 3× Y-wings, 3× A-wings, 3× Hwk's, 2×YT-1300
Imperial - 8 Tie Fighters, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Interceptors, 2 Shuttles, 2 Firespray's

#10 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

I think that to have a decent trench run, the size of the board will have to change, to be able to a have a good run. I think 2'×4' or 4'×6'.
The other problem will be elevation, getting in and out of the trench and shooting ships in the trench from above/outside. Has anyone designed stats for turbo laser battery's yet?

Tl batteries 2-0-4-0 small base ships get +1 agility for defense, same as shooting through asteroids.  If hit, each hit counts as two damage.  Turrets cost zero points because the attacker needs only get one successful hit to destroy the DS and win.  

• gabe69velasquez likes this

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#11 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

our playgroup has a graphic artist/player who has printed off a 3'x3' playmat of the surface of the deathstar. its pretty sweet and includes the trench down the centre, would be simple enough to add gun-towers - i was thinking of just suing the ship base inserts that have the firing arcs included and give them a few pts of hull or something. ill post up pics next time i can get them (we only meed 1x every month and the playmat is with another person).

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#12 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Here are some rules I put together for this kind of scenario:

http://www.outworld-...hs-DSTR-v01.pdf

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#13 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

wow this is pretty cool. i like the reinforcement rules. so what r the starting squads/squad points?

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#14 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

See the "Mission Setup" section, page 2.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#15 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

wow this is pretty cool. i like the reinforcement rules. so what r the starting squads/squad points?

I've played DagobahDave's scenario several times and used it on demo days, last time was at the annual Star Wars Weekend here in Copenahgen. Quite an attraction for the crowd and drew some spectators to our stand.

I've build it as an actual "model" or trench section using som 5" thick styrofoam and a printed filt mat with a Death Star surface print as the surface link to the print is here.

Turrets and exhaust port was bought from this guy http://www.combatwom...ar_fortress.htm he also makes surface tiles (a bit larger than the small ones listed in the tread above)

My model:

2013_02_16_14_29_23.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

• DagobahDave and oneway like this

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#16 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

We/I use some cut out plexi boards to be able to let ships fly above/under each other in the 2 zones (surface and trench), this can best be seen in the first (small) photo.

A nice "feature" of having the 2 surface areas made out by separate styrofoam blocks is that I can simply remove the trench surface mat and then push the 2 blocks together (I use some half inch sticks as tabs to keep the blocks "locked" together) and then I have a large surface area that easily fits a 3' x 3' game mat or I use  a cut out paper strip as a border and simply play on the DS surface mat

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#17 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

I got to say, as much as I admire those tiles, they are way off scale.

You should be able to fit four X-wings across one tile for an accurate scale.

11985908136_7e9c2d17c6_o.jpg

46.71 / 11.13 = 4.19

True, but it would still look way cool, right? ;)

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 5 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 E-wing

Galactic Empire: 7 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Interceptors, 3 181st TIE interceptors, 3 Royal Guard Interceptors

#18 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

IMG_0360_zpsc7f98c7f.jpg

I must have some... where on earth did you get these?

A friend made them for some picture frames, and he sent me some miscasts for Christmas one year. :)

#19 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

20130310_140734_zpsd8f91109.jpg

A 3D trench really adds the atmosphere to the game.

• The_Brown_Bomber, oneway, Viceroy Bolda and 2 others like this

Enimo Et Fide

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS