Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

New training Doctrines:

Massed Formations

Cost:2

Statistics: Fellowship + 2

The regiment deploys troops in large platoon formations, occasionally this employed by well-disciplined troops it is more often a mixture of veterans and conscripts. While this is inflexible it ensures that a opposition can be swarmed with bodies, this is often a way to minimise the effects of poor training, a lack of equipment or just a callous disregard for human life on behalf of the the senior officers.

This means that the players are part of a much larger unit at least 25 strong and often over 50 strong. While this does make the squad unable to use smaller squad sized transports (they need, often multiple, large trucks, or super-heavy armoured transport if they are very lucky) but it means that they have a large supply of personnel to call on. Whenever a an attack would hit a comrade the player can allocate the damage to another NPC within support range. The platoon will not always act as one though, there are number of non-commissioned officers for each platoon and a squad can be broke off temporarily for tactical advantage but in these platoons this is avoided if possible. The PC's are likely to be a more veteran squad within the platoon. If they are forced to break off from the main platoon and lose their comrades while split off they may create replacement comrades from any of the remaining platoon as soon as they re-join it and combat as ceased.

Intense Physical Training

Cost:3

Aptitudes: Strength

The regiment undergoes harsh physical training on a daily basis or just relies heavily on manpower rather than mechanisation. It is often the domain of older style regimental training where rope climbing, swimming, moving large sandbags or logs and other extereme obstacles are put into training courses. It is also common more primitive regiments where even very large weapons and other logistics are moved by foot troops. In many these have become traditions even though alternative manpower and transport options are available.

#2 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

New special equipment doctrines:

Grenadiers

Cost: 3 or 4 points

Pre-requisites: Not available to light infantry, armoured regiments or reconnaissance regiments.

The regiment is equipped with the heaviest armour in the Imperial guard armoury. These regiments are usually charged with the most dangerous tasks and often have distinct designations in their regiments, such as Grenadiers or Engineers.

The regiment replaces its flak armour with light carapace armour (for 3 points) or storm-trooper carapace (for 4 points)

#3 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

Both sound nifty, but I'd be a bit leery of grenedeirs. I like the access to carapace armour (given that TT IG units have a similar option). But the ability to modify an item in standard kit to best quality for 10 kit points makes access to Storm-Trooper armour pretty much nigh awesome.

I guess its just an acceptable liklihood, but it stinks that PCs would have access to effectively the best physical armour possible outside power armour at start of play. No way to reward/upgrade easily from there.

#4 Flail-Bot

Flail-Bot

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

KommissarK said:

I guess its just an acceptable liklihood, but it stinks that PCs would have access to effectively the best physical armour possible outside power armour at start of play. No way to reward/upgrade easily from there.

This is my main concern. It's cool to give your guys fancy equipment, but your risk having bored players if they can access the "endgame" gear they want right off the bat. Striving to get your "build" in order, is part of the fun!

#5 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

@ KommissarK and Flail-Bot

Well that is a some-thing to bare in mind. This was one of the quoted missing doctrines, as ever take it or leave it with the home rules and they are always at GM's discretion, especially in this case.

I'm already dubious about allowing armour quality upgrades for 5 or even 10 points on the standard guard flak let alone starting with best quality storm trooper carapace.

#6 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

IMHO upgrading any set of armour to Best quality is indeed one of the smartest choices players can make with regimental kit. Its a strong boost to survivability, it looks sharp, and it weighs half as much.

#7 Bassemandrh

Bassemandrh

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Wouldnt it be ok for grenadiers to get Best Craftmanship Flak armour for "free", then you can upgrade your armour as you progress while grenadiers still have pretty decent armour for a starting regiment.

#8 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

+2 Fellowship for 2pts isn't worth it at all IMO.

#9 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

Frankie said:

+2 Fellowship for 2pts isn't worth it at all IMO.

It has an implied detail that the way the regiment works means you're never without backup.

But I agree, it is pretty limited.

#10 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

With the Grenadier doctrine it was fairly easy to compare the cost of the Carapace armour to another equipment only doctrine, Cameleoline. And they are certainly both really powerful but equally expensive, it does open up the potental for abuse so letting them have best quality flak, and maybe even best quality light carapace at the higher level, is a way round that (although best qualitying up  your existing flak is 5 points less and a lot lighter than buy Light Carapace if you spend equipment points).

I had no idea  about the Massed formations doctrine, and originally created it for a specific Regiment, in theory having a constant comrade means that 10% of shots can be sent to a random spod and makes it work investing in the special comrade advances as you won't loose access to that ability when your comrade dies. I've only got limited experience with OW so I could be way off. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS