OCTGN Tournament

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm planning on running an online tournament on OCTGN if I can find enough people interested.  I'd tentatively like to send out initial pairings next weekend, so post here with your OCTGN username if you're interested.  The tournament will be swiss, but I haven't decided on the exact scoring method yet.  As there are no prizes or any such things at stake, I plan on playing too.  Should be good practice for regionals!

Participants:

Forums UN - OCTGN UN

1. dbmeboy - red5ccg

2.  - doctormungmung

3.  - yobo93

4.  - jzwink

5. Troopershark - marcr

6. sageleader - sageleader

7. Rogue 3  - grover3870

8. Warren12 - warren12

9. TheErthafein - Erthafein

10. Shikaku - Shikaku

11. MasterJediAdam - MasterJediAdam

12. ScottieATF - ScottNJ

13. sWhiteboy - Hucklebarry

14. Brad Harrington - brad_harrington

15. agnos - agnos

16. Jedi_Knight - Jedi_Knight

17. RedSquadronK - nckball

18. - Bazeleel

19. Chlemtil - Chlemtil

20 JMCB - JMCB

Update: I will be double posting everything here and on my Team Covenant blog (link in signature).  Also, if you're new to OCTGN, I found this blog to be a helpful resource for getting started.

Update 2: There is a recently posted blog on TC that also goes through how to play on OCTGN.  Also, I'm going to set the registration deadline for 11:59 pm EST on Thursday, 2/28.  Basically, I'm going to go with the list as I have it when I get to it on Friday, so while you might be able to sneak it after midnight, post before the end of Thursday to be guaranteed a spot.

#2 sageleader

sageleader

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

I'm in! sageleader

#3 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

sounds  fun.

grover3870

#4 Warren12

Warren12

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

I'm in.  warren12 on OCTGN.  I also replied on your TC post.

#5 TheErthafein

TheErthafein

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

I'd be interested, but I've not played on OCTGN yet.  is there anyone around that would be willing/able to show me the finewr points of using it.  I don't want to be a hinderance to the flow of games.

Erthafein on OCTGN

#6 Troopershark

Troopershark

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

in, OCTGN tag is marcr

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I’m excited by all of the participation!  I’m hoping to post the round 1 pairings either Friday night or Saturday morning.  Exact tournament rules will be posted at that time, unless FFG posts them between now and then.  I will be double posting everything here and on my Team Covenant blog linked in my signature.  If you're new to OCTGN, I found this blog to be a useful resource getting started.  Spread the word!

#8 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I am in assuming the date works. Did I miss it?

Welcome to the machine!

#9 Shikaku

Shikaku

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Sign me up, Shikaku

#10 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

MasterJediAdam said:

I am in assuming the date works. Did I miss it?

You have not missed it.  I'm planning on posting initial pairings either the evening of 3/1/2013 or the morning of 3/2/2013.  What's your octgn username?

#11 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Slight update:

Idea for a tentative “prize” for the tournament: the top 2 players get to use the 2 fully spoiled Hoth cycle objective sets in their decks for the final match if they would like. There's a link to an appropriately censored version of the OCTGN file in the comments in my blog.

#12 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'm in: ScottNJ

#13 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I am MasterJediAdam all around.

Welcome to the machine!

#14 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Thanks.  Got you both.

#15 sWhiteboy

sWhiteboy

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

Hmm….  Sounds like a fun time.

OCTGN IGN:  Hucklebarry

I assume that we will be using the same Light/Dark side decks for the entirety of the tournament?

#16 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

sWhiteboy said:

Hmm….  Sounds like a fun time.

OCTGN IGN:  Hucklebarry

I assume that we will be using the same Light/Dark side decks for the entirety of the tournament?

That is my plan, though it will end up being on the honor system.

#17 Brad Harrington

Brad Harrington

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Count me in as well:

brad_harrington

#18 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

On the last episode of The Smuggler's Den we announced that we will be running an OCTGN tournament very soon. We are trying to wait for the official tournament rules to emerge from FFG.

So my question to you is, what are the rules for the tournament? I might be interested in playing but I would like to see some details spelled out. Also, I would not be interested in playing in a tournament that is allowing part of the cards from a pack to be used in the final game. Is this something you are deadset on doing, or was this a brainstorm idea?

So please let us know if you have rules figured out and what they are. Thanks.

Tiny

#19 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

ughh slow site double post

#20 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

TinyGrimes said:

On the last episode of The Smuggler's Den we announced that we will be running an OCTGN tournament very soon. We are trying to wait for the official tournament rules to emerge from FFG.

So my question to you is, what are the rules for the tournament? I might be interested in playing but I would like to see some details spelled out. Also, I would not be interested in playing in a tournament that is allowing part of the cards from a pack to be used in the final game. Is this something you are deadset on doing, or was this a brainstorm idea?

So please let us know if you have rules figured out and what they are. Thanks.

Tiny

Sorry for stealing your tournament idea… I hadn't listened to that episode yet.  :-

I'm currently planning on having each pairing play 2 games (1 each LS and DS).  3 points for 2-0, 1 point for 1-1, 0 points for 0-2.  After a number of rounds of swiss (total number determined by number of participants), I'll cut to Top 4 (or 8 if we get enough people) and play elimination rounds - SOS to break ties for the cut.  In the case of 1-1 split on the elimination, the winner will be either least number of DS objectives destroyed (if DS wins both times) or lowest value on Death Star dial (if LS wins both times).  I know it messes with Trench Run and Heart of the Empire, but it'll work for now.  If that is still a tie, a coin flip or some other random method to determine the sides for a final 3rd game.  Rules are still subject to change, but will be posted with the initial pairings.  I'm not too worried about making them work perfect since there isn't anything beyond bragging rights at stake.

As far as allowing the Hoth sets for the final match, it was just a brainstorm idea.  If people are strongly against it, it doesn't have to happen.  I just thought it might be a fun idea.  Honestly, even if they were allowed they might not get used without other Hoth sets around to back them up.

Let me know if you have any more questions.  We'd love to have you participate.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS