Jump to content



Photo

Syndicate/MU - Easy Come, Easy Go


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Danigral

Danigral

    Member

  • Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

So a little background: my primary game is AGoT. I got into both AGoT and CoC at the same time; the difference is that I found a playgroup for AGoT, whereas CoC just sat on the shelf. I still got all the cards, thought a lot about it, and played with myself, though, so it wasn't a loss. :) And I still think this is just as good a game. So coming from AGoT where pretty much the entire competitive meta tactically is driven by when a board reset is going to happen, and how devastating it is when unexpected, I wanted to bring that idea into CoC. Resourcing is very different, since in AGoT resources come from plot cards, whereas in CoC they can stay "fixed" from turn to turn, and in fact actually ramp up consistently (there are very few cards that destroy resources). However, the fact remains that resets cards hurt the player that invested more resources and cards into better board position. Coming out of a reset, the player with better hand advantage and resource advantage will rebound faster, and in a game with such tight victory conditions as CoC, that can make all the difference.

Easy Come, Easy Go

 

Master of the Myths 2
Eldritch Nexus 2
Gun Runner's Club 3
Descendant of Eibon 3
*Peter Clover 2
*Jack "Brass" Brady 2
Dimensional Rift 3
Academic Obfuscation 2
Low Blow 3
*Gregory Gry 2
*Lady Lu Chu 2
*Er'nrawr 1
*Marcus Jamburg 3
*Nodens 1
Research  Assistant 3
Museum Curator 3
*Lucas Tetlow 2
*Mask of Sthenelus 2
*The Necronomicon 3
*Dr. Laban Shrewsbury 3
Flux Stabilizer 3

This deck is full of cheap characters, and some of them have a lot of staying power (Lucas Tetlow, Brass Brady, Jamburg and Descendent of Eibon). I build up to 3-2-1, and then maybe 3-3-1, get Necronomicon into play and use Master of Myths, Obfuscation and Low Blow to slow the opponent down, then at critical mass use Dimensional Rift to wipe the board, rush in my Descendents for clean up. With Jamburg, I can do that over and over again. There is plenty of stuff in here to protect against big baddies (Y'golonac and Glaaki are still a major pain) with Laban, Low Blow, and Peter Clover, even if Flux didn't prevent them from popping into play in the first place. 

Problems remain getting domains to a reasonable size while still maintaining relative hand advantage over opponent. Ideally, you want domains to be 3-3-2 and maybe extra domains, so that you can get more dudes in after a reset and still have domains open for Necro, Jamburg, etc.

(This deck is dedicated to COCLCG, aka King Johnny, who won't let anyone take the low road to victory lightly.)

 

Feedback appreciated.

 



#2 COCLCG

COCLCG

    Member

  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

i really do appreciate the strategy that you're trying to get working. King Johnny congratulates and approves - hahahaha (moron - hee hee).

there are a couple of cards that might suit your stategy, and i'll even have a play with it myself just to see the possibilities.

Silver Twilight came first to mind as soon as i got the jist. You could use 'The Doorway' to disrupt the Dimensional Rift, and possibly 'Initiate of Huang Hun' to pull out the more important Characters before you cut loose. it also has a lot of return to hand cards like 'Master of Blades' and 'Master of the Myths' to keep your hand nice and stocked. 'You Know Too Much' is also a nice way of culling their own hand size. and then there is 'Ritual of the Lance' as a possible back-up plan to the 'Dimensional Rift', though sac-ing Characters may not suit the deck's style.

lastly, 'Flux Stabiliser' is a very hard card to use, but also a very nice one against todays deck style, BUT, it also effects cards like "Master of the Myths' and 'Descendent of Eibon', so one has to be careful when using it.

but thats just a few thoughts. this is your deck and be proud of it. if you can get it working, even to a fair degree, you'll have more respect from me than any power house meta deck.

 

and oh, by the way, in case you didnt know yet, 'Descendent of Eibon' is now a Unique AND Restricted card, and costs 2 success tokens to activate (the old print said only 1 and dont know which copy you have).



#3 Danigral

Danigral

    Member

  • Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

COCLCG said:

i really do appreciate the strategy that you're trying to get working. King Johnny congratulates and approves - hahahaha (moron - hee hee).

there are a couple of cards that might suit your stategy, and i'll even have a play with it myself just to see the possibilities.

Silver Twilight came first to mind as soon as i got the jist. You could use 'The Doorway' to disrupt the Dimensional Rift, and possibly 'Initiate of Huang Hun' to pull out the more important Characters before you cut loose. it also has a lot of return to hand cards like 'Master of Blades' and 'Master of the Myths' to keep your hand nice and stocked. 'You Know Too Much' is also a nice way of culling their own hand size. and then there is 'Ritual of the Lance' as a possible back-up plan to the 'Dimensional Rift', though sac-ing Characters may not suit the deck's style.

I don't like ST, and I'm not sure if it will work since you have to pay for those characters over and over, but I see the synergy there. At the least, some Doorways and Master of Blades, or maybe even Knight of the Outer Void. However, I do love the idea of Doorway returning my Museum Curators. I was trying to think of a way to get them back into hand or into play somehow…this might be it.

COCLCG said:

lastly, 'Flux Stabiliser' is a very hard card to use, but also a very nice one against todays deck style, BUT, it also effects cards like "Master of the Myths' and 'Descendent of Eibon', so one has to be careful when using it.

I should have commented on this since I know it's an odd choice. You're right is mostly a meta choice, but I would want one early either T1 or T2 to protect against that Under the Porch and Broken Space crap. On the reset, it will be gone, and Descendant can enter play. That means however, that the opponent will be free to play those Under the Porches and Broken Spaces clogged in their hand. So I might change this to Snow Graves.

COCLCG said:

and oh, by the way, in case you didnt know yet, 'Descendent of Eibon' is now a Unique AND Restricted card, and costs 2 success tokens to activate (the old print said only 1 and dont know which copy you have).

Yeah, I knew about the 2 success tokens and that it was restricted, but I saw that it was changed to unique since the last I looked at the FAQ. It doesn't change too much though. The transient is a good backup in case I need to hard-cast a Dimensional Rift or Necronomicon.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS