Online Play Conventions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

So I've been trying to install and update everything to try to play online, and I've noticed from several threads way back that people either use Lackey or OCTGN, and there's no one "go to" place for CoC. This is a little unfortunate because 1) people don't know where to go to find an opponent on a consistent basis, 2) people are wasting their time/expertise updating plugins and files that people don't necessarily use.

I like OCTGN, simply because I'm used to it from playing AGoT on it. All the files are up to date. Lackey's UI seems cluttered and non-intuitive, and more importantly, the plugin doesn't have Seekers of Knowledge as far as I can tell… If anyone knows how I can manually install it on Lackey, that would be appreciated.

Additionally, with OCTGN, there are two game files: 1.0.09 (dboeren) and 1.0.10 (kriss666). Which do people use?

I'd love to get online and play with people, so I hope that we can at least agree on a way to play this the same. Ultimately, I'll play however I need to, but I want to know what the majority does.

Also, I know there was a skype contact list on these boards, but I can't find it. Can someone link it here for me?

Thanks!

#2 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

hey there. im on skype quite a lot and always up for a game on lackey. i prefer it because ive heard there's no save function on OCTGN so if someone drops out = boo hoo.

there is a lackey plug-in created by the marvellous Kriss666 which includes SOK and a better play area with actual success tokens !! here it is :

http://dl.dropbox.co.../updatelist.txt

im pretty sure this is the one from skype:

http://www.fantasyfl...=4&efidt=682965

#3 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

Danigral said:

So I've been trying to install and update everything to try to play online, and I've noticed from several threads way back that people either use Lackey or OCTGN, and there's no one "go to" place for CoC. This is a little unfortunate because 1) people don't know where to go to find an opponent on a consistent basis, 2) people are wasting their time/expertise updating plugins and files that people don't necessarily use.

I like OCTGN, simply because I'm used to it from playing AGoT on it. All the files are up to date. Lackey's UI seems cluttered and non-intuitive, and more importantly, the plugin doesn't have Seekers of Knowledge as far as I can tell… If anyone knows how I can manually install it on Lackey, that would be appreciated.

Additionally, with OCTGN, there are two game files: 1.0.09 (dboeren) and 1.0.10 (kriss666). Which do people use?

I use Lackey because OCTGN doesn't run on my Macbook Pro.  I have a Windows emulated (Crossover) which works fine with most other Windows software, but OCTGN crashes every time.  So, I use Lackey because it works for me.  I can't comment on whether OCTGN has a better interface or not since I haven't been able to run it, but from what I've heard it is a little better.  Not a big deal.  What I do like about Lackey is how easy it is to create and modify plugins.  OCTGN seems more difficult in this respect from what I've seen.

Also, I haven't made an OCTGN plugin, maybe you got the wrong name on that 1.0.09 version?

One thing that IS bad in Lackey is that it's very picky about both sides having the same version of the plugin.  I can't so much as add one card to my copy that got posted in a preview announcement without it then complaining that my version doesn't match my opponent's version and then we start getting weird stuff going on like card images not matching correctly.  This could certainly be improved.  I do not know how OCTGN handles this.  Maybe it comes up a lot less since the plugins are harder to edit.

To add Seekers of Knowledge (or any new set), you would add a new setinfo.txt (or append to the old one) in the sets directory of your plugin.  It's a tab-delimited text file.  Then, add the images into a subdirectory of sets/setimages.

The tab-file looks like this:

Name Set ImageFile Extension Unique Faction Type SubType Cost Skill Icons Text
College Prospect SoK SoK-19 LCG Miskatonic University Character Student. 0 1 Forced Response: After College Prospect is destroyed, draw 2 cards.

Hopefully you get the gist of it here, this forum software doesn't support file attachments.  Each column has a value.  "Set" needs to match the directory where you put your image files.  ImageFile is the name of that file.  Blah blah, and so forth, should be fairly straightforward.

I manually maintain my own Netrunner plugin and it takes just a few minutes to add 20 entries per month for the new pack.  If you don't care about having fields populated in the deckbuilder you can leave most of it blank too.

#4 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I tried the plugin link of Krisss666's that was posted above, and it works great. After coclcg showed me a little of the interface we played a couple of games.

I'd recommend everyone try out the plugin linked above on Lackey. Lackey is s little confusing at first, but after I was shown all the buttons, it makes sense.

I've created a skype group called CoC and added everyone's skype handle I could find. Let me know if you want to be added. That way we can have conversations realtime, not only on these forums, and it will be easier to find opponents. (If one of these already exists, let me know so I can join it.)

#5 KrissS666

KrissS666

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Great idea Danigral

i don't know we can create such group

Sorry but lately i was very busy and don't go to skype (nor octgn or lackey), but i'm glad some players help to grow up online community

As you said, there are (maybe) too many means to play coc online, but each player had their own needs (use to mac/ internet disconnetion => need save etc)

I'm thinking it will be interesting to know players actually in the coc group

I'll join group soon :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS