Photo

[Protect] Question: Can two [Protect] traits resolve at the same time?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 videinfra

videinfra

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Let me explain…

In a recent game Luke attacked a Lightsabre and therefore had 3 unit damage. The DS had Vader and two Royal Guards out who each had 1 damage already. Luke attacked Vader and the DS player used both Protects at the same time to distribute the damage to both guards. The rules state that you can use protect as long as the damage isn't over the protecting card's damage capacity. This damage however would have been over one Royal Guards damage capacity, but not both if you add them together. So can two protects resolve at the same time for one attack? Or can you only use one protect per attack? (Also, I'm assuming with protect you could use the rest of the damage capacity for a protect card and then put the remaining damage on the targetted card.) Thanks.

#2 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

You are misunderstanding the rules of protect.

You can use protect even if the pending damage is greater than the protect units health. What you can't do is move damage greater than the protect units health. If you had a guardian with 2 health and 3 damage pending on a character then you could use the guardian to prevent 2 of that damage and the last damage would be placed on the other unit. 

To answer your question, yes, the DS player can use both protect units.  The amount of damage pending is irrelevant, the only thing relevant is the amount of damage they are redirecting to the protector.  

In your scenario, your opponent would be able to redirect 1 damage to a royal guard (it lives) and the other 2 damage to the other royal guard (it dies).

#3 videinfra

videinfra

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

No I understood you couldn't move damage greater than the health of the character with the Protect trait. I was just wondering if you you could only resolve one protect for one strike or if it could be split up between multilple protects. I was thinking if it was like an 'Action', you know what I mean? But that makes sense, it is a trait, not an action. Thanks.

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

videinfra said:

No I understood you couldn't move damage greater than the health of the character with the Protect trait. I was just wondering if you you could only resolve one protect for one strike or if it could be split up between multilple protects. I was thinking if it was like an 'Action', you know what I mean? But that makes sense, it is a trait, not an action. Thanks.

Yep, not an Action.  You don't even really "resolve" protect, it just happens if you choose to use it.  Note that if a card had an Interrupt that functioned similarly to protect (Lightsaber Deflection is the closest right now), you could still resolve it twice with two copies of the card.  After you resolve one Interrupt, your opponent has the opportunity to Interrupt, and then it goes back to you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS