Core Set shortage, etc.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 elementcircle

elementcircle

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Ok, maybe I'm blind or something, but I can't believe this hasn't been discussed here yet…

From what I have been able to find out through various places and shady cantinas, the core sets are all but gone at this point. I hear Target is one of the only places that still have them in stock. The comic and game store I work for only has 2 copies left, and I'm not even sure how we got them in, because FFG has none for us to order. I love FFG products (especially X-Wing!) but why is there so little communication when it comes to product (even on their own site)? When will there be more core sets available? Will they be sending out more with the Wave 2 shipments? I ask because, as a game store employee (and the one in charge of our X-Wing Game Nights and Tournaments), I have a lot of people asking about them because they were waiting for Wave 2 to get started with the core sets. Please, can we get an official FFG answer on this and not just speculations or "soon"?

Also, I haven't seen anything about the Game Night kits. Are they just waiting for Wave 2 to finally get here to get us those? (They were delayed, but they should have been here this month…) I'm in charge of our Star Wars: The Card Game league, too, and there's no sign of those, either.

As an aside, I just joined the community here, but I have been lurking these forums pretty much since X-Wing was announced. Now that I'm officially here, don't be surprised to see me blowing up a couple of older topics to see if we can get some better info on these boards.

#2 TomAnderson

TomAnderson

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Well, I just got an email last night that Cool Stuff Inc just got some in, so I'm assuming your LGS should be getting some too. I have seen them still at Target (Where I got my core set).

#3 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

The peeps at my FLGS are assuming they'll come in with Wave 2, but alas, nobody seems to know.

#4 betes

betes

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

After checking both of my local game shops and finding them empty, I bought my original core set at Target. Just this past week I picked up my second core set at Target as well. They seem to have plenty.

#5 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

My LGS has them, my Target has them, B&N has them. No shortages here. Except of players, of course.

#6 elementcircle

elementcircle

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yeah, there isn't even anything on here about whether or not reprinting is happening, but there are places here and there that have a a copy or three.

hothie - I'm so sorry to hear that! If you're near NC, come on out to our store and join in with us some time. :)

#7 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'd love to join you, but I'm much closer to NE than NC. Actually, we may have a few new players tomorrow, so there may a new hope on the horizon…(see what i did there. :P)

#8 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

hothie said:

My LGS has them, my Target has them, B&N has them. No shortages here. Except of players, of course.

I'm in eastern Michigan and we seem to have plenty availble. Interest at my LGS as been sluggish but is improving now that I'm running a League nite.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#9 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

hothie said:

I'd love to join you, but I'm much closer to NE than NC. Actually, we may have a few new players tomorrow, so there may a new hope on the horizon…(see what i did there. :P)

It is hard to get players to come out I find.  It is encouraging to hear I'm not the only one. Over the 5 Kessel Runs I attended in my area, as well as a couple of other events, I would estimate there were just shy of 50 different players, I've met.  There are also a few that I've seen online, that are in the area too, but have never been at the same events.  The highest attended SWX event was only 16 players.  The majority of players seem to be very new, and it was their first tournament with this game.  For whatever reason, it is equally hard to get venues to put on events.  This game seems to be a game most players are dabbling with, while their main focus is on other games.  If 50 players showed up to any LGS for an SWX event it would be awesome, but they would be hard pressed to accomodate them.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#10 a4rino

a4rino

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

I've noticed no shortage of Core Sets in Ann Arbor. Both local gaming stores, Barnes and Noble, and Target all have them in stock. Online retailers like Miniature Market also seem to have them in stock.

BigDogg said:

I'm in eastern Michigan and we seem to have plenty availble. Interest at my LGS as been sluggish but is improving now that I'm running a League nite.

Sorry to stray off topic but whereabouts in eastern Michigan are you?

#11 Disgruntled

Disgruntled

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

elementcircle said:

Yeah, there isn't even anything on here about whether or not reprinting is happening, but there are places here and there that have a a copy or three.

hothie - I'm so sorry to hear that! If you're near NC, come on out to our store and join in with us some time. :)

Where in NC are you?

#12 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

No shortage around here, our LGS has done at least four restocks of X-Wing that I am aware of.

Enimo Et Fide

#13 Karon

Karon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

Here where I live you can't even find them in target anymore. The local gamestore owner is a friend of mine and has been quite frustrated with not being able to sell a product soo in demand. We are hoping they come in with wave 2 stuff. I have mine but plenty of other people around here who want it that haven't been able to get it yet.

#14 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

I live in Port Huron, right across the river from Sarnia, Ont. The LGS I play at is Cool City Games. With support from the store owner I'm currently running a SW League nite on Thursdays and hopefully a Tournament once the wave 2 stuff hits.

If you get the chance check out the League mission reports in the Battle Report forum.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#15 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

As far as my LGSs go, they're out -- not sure when the next shipment is due in.  But my local B&N, as of Feb. 19, has 4 starters, 4 X-Wings, 4 TIE Advanced, and 2 Y-Wings.  My suggestion is to begin your search "outside the box".  I'll be makin' my bee-line to my local B&N.  I have an inside man ( ;) ; Shhh! Hothie; lol), and a 10% discount at B&N.

#16 NathanPButler

NathanPButler

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I can confirm the Target part at least. Our Target has a TON of core sets sitting on its game shelf, either restocked or utterly untouched since the game's launch, as it's a full row of them every week when I'm there. Absolutely nothing else, though: no expansions, no dice, not LCG, nothing.

#17 elementcircle

elementcircle

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

R5Don4 said:

hothie said:

It is hard to get players to come out I find.  It is encouraging to hear I'm not the only one. Over the 5 Kessel Runs I attended in my area, as well as a couple of other events, I would estimate there were just shy of 50 different players, I've met.  There are also a few that I've seen online, that are in the area too, but have never been at the same events.  The highest attended SWX event was only 16 players.  The majority of players seem to be very new, and it was their first tournament with this game.  For whatever reason, it is equally hard to get venues to put on events.  This game seems to be a game most players are dabbling with, while their main focus is on other games.  If 50 players showed up to any LGS for an SWX event it would be awesome, but they would be hard pressed to accomodate them.

So it's not just us. I have to say, if we had 50 players show up, we would have PLENTY of space. But then, we also serve craft beer on tap, so there's really no excuse as to why they don't show…

#18 elementcircle

elementcircle

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Disgruntled said:

elementcircle said:

Where in NC are you?

Durham, NC

Atomic Empire - Comics, Games, Hobbies

http://www.atomicempire.com/store/

#19 Duwin

Duwin

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Im from eastern michigan what store do you run a league night at and what days?

#20 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I put in a request for a Core Set back at the new year, but hadn't seen one. I knew Target had them, but I was holding out to support my FLGS. I ended up caving because I acquired some Target gift cards. That was Saturday. Today I got a call from the FLGS saying that my Core Set arrived. I'm glad I saved a penny, but I'm bashing my head for waiting so long only to cave right before they were back in stock!

But the bottom line is that it looks like predictions have been accurate, and FFG is getting some more Core Sets out to the community with the advent of Wave 2.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS