Rewards for Deathwatch Space Marines

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mindforge

Mindforge

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

A lot of games have all kinds of different magic items you can get and basically rewards that come and go. I was trying to think of 'rewards' I could give my players that would not create balance issues and I decided to expand on the "Honors" that are found in Rites of Battle. I also came up with limitations. Now Space Marines are pretty famous for wearing the trappings of faith and badges of honor on their armor. Rites of Battle introduces just a few to us. I wanted to create a few here and perhaps start a sort of "Space Marine Honors" thread to discuss the rewards.

THE PURITY SEAL
The Purity Seal is kind of like a single adventure, single use item in my game. You may have up to 5 of them on your armor and 1 on each weapon or external equipment. The purity seal in the Rites of Battle book describe being given by your direct commander or Chaplain. So there should be lots of different ones because they are blessings given to the Space Marine. They usually have the blessing written in High Gothic. Here are a few:

Purity Seal of Bravery: +10 on Fear Tests

Purity Seal of Leadership: +1 Cohesion Modifier

(more to come… )

#2 redhead222

redhead222

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

a purity seal is just what it says it is.

a seal too prove that person purity (of fath / duty)

the leaderschip thing and anything els would not be purity seals. more like marks of honour or mark of command

and things along those lines

still good thought

#3 ranoncles

ranoncles

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

The effect of purity seal can be much greater than just a sign of purity. 

I also hand them out as rewards, normally to players who made it to a session. That way, they get a little reward for risking death absent players don't get as all players still get the same XP present or not.

And depending on their actions, it provides a one-shot +10 bonus to a roll or perhaps 1 temporary extra wound or things like that. Nothing too overpowering and it neatly fits in the setting IMO. 

#4 Obetor

Obetor

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

The effect of purity seal can be much greater than just a sign of purity. 

I also hand them out as rewards, normally to players who made it to a session. That way, they get a little reward for risking death absent players don't get as all players still get the same XP present or not.

And depending on their actions, it provides a one-shot +10 bonus to a roll or perhaps 1 temporary extra wound or things like that. Nothing too overpowering and it neatly fits in the setting IMO. 

I like your way of handling purity seals better.

If I remember correct, in Rite of Battle purity seal gives a +3 bonus to a test relevant to why you got the seal, fx if the player slayed lot of daemon and gets at purity seal of daemon slaying I grants him a +3 bonus to attacking daemon or +3 willpower bonus to resist daemon :D

• Erik

#5 Koma76

Koma76

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

Rites of Battle, page 210-211

#6 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

There are awards and badges in game.  Marksmanship Badge for instance.  You could award it when a PC has some exceptional luck and was graced by the Dice Gods when shooting.  IIRC, there is a Bonus associated with it.  More basic info here:  http://warhammer40k...._(Space_Marines) and IIRC it is also covered in the Core Rule Book.

Edited by Korvis, 02 August 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#7 Leo71

Leo71

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Korvis, where exactly is this covered?

#8 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

My error, I thought it was in the CRB, it is actually in Rites of Battle: Honors Section pages 204-211.  No persistent game bonus as I thought for the Marksmanship Badge, but there is nothing prohibiting a GM from awarding the Player with an acceptable amount of XP's for gaining such a thing.  That is briefly covered in the CRB on page 270.

#9 Brother Anselm

Brother Anselm

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Duty and Success unto Death while serving the Emperor are your only reward. :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS