Photo

How does "on the doorstep" not need the original core set?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Just wondering if anyone knew. I own the core set, but what in the core set is needed to use On the Doorstep, the newest saga expansion?

#2 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

i dont think any of the cards from the core set a necessarily needed for on the doorstep, but the core set is stated to be needed with everything because if you dont have it you dont have the rulebook, threat counter, damage/travel/resource tokens

although technically you could still use like a caluclator and dice if you are really trying to stay away from the core set

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#3 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Does it have adventurer decks in it? That would be the main requirement from the core…

#4 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

I don't think you'd have nearly enough cards from just the two saga expansions to build a deck. I really think you'd need the core. Even if you knew the rules and didn't mind using paper for the dials and tokens.

#5 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

The Saga expansions do a lot to help supplement your supply of player cards, but it would be a really limited pool by itself to make decks from.

The Core set plus saga expansions will give you enough to make some decent decks and is apparently what the Saga expansions were designed for.

Although, if you can afford it, picking up the Khazad-Dum deluxe expansion and Return to Mirkwood pack would add a lot more oomph to your dwarf decks.

#6 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Saga expansions need the core set encounter decks.

#7 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Cutievalkyrie said:

Saga expansions need the core set encounter decks.

No, the saga expansions do not. Neither saga expansion uses encounter cards from the Core set.

But as others have pointed out, yes, there are not nearly enough player cards to make decks with just the saga expasions together. You'd need a lot more (which the Core provides) to make workable decks.

#8 Periculum

Periculum

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

Each set of six Adventure packs use the encounter set from the box before it. The hobbit boxes are a special case at the moment. The core set is followed by the Mirkwood cycle, Khazad-dum is followed by Dwarrodelf, and Heirs of numenor is followed by against the shadow. At this time, the hobbit boxes don't mix with any of the adventure packs.

So many key cards are in the core box. While there are plenty of cards out side of the core box, I still don't see a good way to build decks without having at least one core.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS