Photo

How do I score a "bye" in Netrunner Tournaments?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

I searched through the tournament rules but I can't find any guidance on how to record the score when a player gets a "bye" in a tournament with an uneven number of players. For our inaugural event at Your Local Game Store in Matthews NC last night we had NINE players (a great turnout for a random Thursday night) and so we had a bye each of our three rounds. 

In the absence of an official rule, I decided the bye was worth 6 prestige since you are considered to have won the match. But this ended up being a bit too strong, I think. Is there an official policy?

#2 Tzeechel

Tzeechel

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

There is no official policy that I can find, that might be a good question to sling at the Rules Query Form.

Though, the question did come up and was/is being discussed at http://boardgamegeek...45463#11445463 

#3 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

Thanks, I'll go ask in the rules forum as well.

#4 Lindorm

Lindorm

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

Did you ever get an answer to this?

I had byes in my tournament that I ran a few weeks ago.  I gave the 6 prestige, but there is nothing to add to 'strength of schedule' and no agenda points would be scored etc.  As a matter of fact, I see a bye as hurtful for a strong player to get first round of a tournament, but it does but them in the 'winners' bracket.  

Giving the bye to the lowest ranking player keeps them in the game a bit. Have you found a final/official ruling?

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for the question. Byes are scored as 6 prestige and 0 match points. The TO, of course, can choose to give byes as many match points as he wants. Hope that helps,

--
Lukas Litzsinger
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

#6 Mosley

Mosley

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

I know there is now an offical answer but they way I do it is. If I am the TO I will drop or play to make the numbers even. I have also played where everyone got the same number of byes. It added more rounds but it seemed more fair then giving someone 6 points. 

#7 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

Lindorm said:

Did you ever get an answer to this?

I had byes in my tournament that I ran a few weeks ago.  I gave the 6 prestige, but there is nothing to add to 'strength of schedule' and no agenda points would be scored etc.  As a matter of fact, I see a bye as hurtful for a strong player to get first round of a tournament, but it does but them in the 'winners' bracket.  

Giving the bye to the lowest ranking player keeps them in the game a bit. Have you found a final/official ruling?

Generally, byes are scored as the best possible win - 6 Prestige Points and 20 Match Points, because to do so otherwise cheats the player out of the opportunity to score 6 PP/20 MP.

I'm still surprised Lukas hasn't fixed the rule allowing the TO to play in his own tournament, though -- you need two secondary TOs in case the TO ends up playing against their backup.

#8 Magni

Magni

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

when i emailed FFG they said give them 6 prestige

+++ Engagement: Resolve Strikes +++

magni strikes with greedo for 2 unit damage to Han Solo and 1 Blast Damage.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS