Regionals Question

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

Does anyone know if the first expansion will be legal for Regionals in April? We know its supposed to be out in March, but how long does FF wait to allow something to become tourny legal?

#2 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

I would assume that once it hits the streets it will be legal.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#3 phyzycs

phyzycs

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

The only way to know is when the official tournament rules are released.

#4 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

What are the rules for their other card games?

#5 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

@TGO-not sure, I also plan on playing in the Netrunner event, but there is nothing on those forums either. They already have a few expansions out.

#6 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

There will be tournament rules updates before regionals if previous years are any example.

#7 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Toqtamish said:

There will be tournament rules updates before regionals if previous years are any example.

What has been the past practice?  Are sets generally legal for events the day the set is released or do they have a waiting period so in case some areas have not recieved the new prodcut yet? 

#8 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

Usually, I believe, there is a waiting period to give players a chance to acquire and familiarize themselves with new cards.

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#9 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

then if Vaapad is correct, then it looks like Regionals will be core set only

#10 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

Rogue 4 said:

Rogue 4 said:

This would be a false assumption to make.  FFG has been pretty consistent in regards to allowing a waiting period for competetive events.  Last years regional season for AGOT had at least one release that was not useable despite being out.

#11 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Well, that depends on how long the window is.  The first regional is Apr 5.  Based on when he first chapter pack went on the boat, it could be on sale by mid march.  That seems like enough time for it to be legal.

I also don't know if legality will be done on a rolling basis (ie core only for April regionals, core +1 for may, etc)

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#12 sWhiteboy

sWhiteboy

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

For the other LCGs, the usual wait-time for a pack to be tourney legal is 4 weeks.  If Regionals come up sooner than that, then the pack will likely not be legal for Regionals.

I also don't know if legality will be done on a rolling basis (ie core only for April regionals, core +1 for may, etc)

It does not work like that for the other LCGs, which tells me that it will likely not work like that for SW.

#13 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

So then will all regional events use the same cards regardless of release and tournament date?

Welcome to the machine!

#14 sWhiteboy

sWhiteboy

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

That's the way it works for the other LCGs.  Regionals is a series of tournaments, changing the rules mid-series is bad form.

Having said that, the final decisision is up to FFG, and they will do whatever they want.

#15 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

sWhiteboy said:

That's the way it works for the other LCGs.  Regionals is a series of tournaments, changing the rules mid-series is bad form.

Having said that, the final decisision is up to FFG, and they will do whatever they want.

You could argue that the entire tournament season is a series of tournaments, including regionals and worlds.  I'd hate still be using just the core set come worlds.  But even if it's just for regionals, I'd hate to have to keep remaking decks for regular tournaments vs regional tournaments.

#16 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

ScottieATF said:

Rogue 4 said:

This would be a false assumption to make.  FFG has been pretty consistent in regards to allowing a waiting period for competetive events.  Last years regional season for AGOT had at least one release that was not useable despite being out.

I was going off what other CCG formats have been, not FFGs LCGs. Normally when cards are released the makers of the cards believe that they have been play tested enough that they are sound.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#17 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Rogue 4 said:

ScottieATF said:

Rogue 4 said:

I was going off what other CCG formats have been, not FFGs LCGs. Normally when cards are released the makers of the cards believe that they have been play tested enough that they are sound.

Where are you getting that it has anything to do with faith in thier playtesting?  Or that what other CCGs do would apply, instead of what FFG has done with it's other LCGs?

#18 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Dude, I am not getting into this with you.

You can't understand so fine, leave it at that. I have been around many games that once their product comes out is legal for any type tournament, period. I am unfamiliar with what FFG has or does with their LCG. If you have been around playtesters and see what they intially have to work with you would know that the cards change a lot from their original concept, so by the time they are produced they should have seen any bad strategies or combos is what I meant about their playtesting.

So I mentioned that I could see it either way, make it legal now or wait. Doesn't matter to me, I just replied to the thread.

#19 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

Rogue 4 said:

You can't understand so fine, leave it at that. I have been around many games that once their product comes out is legal for any type tournament, period. I am unfamiliar with what FFG has or does with their LCG. If you have been around playtesters and see what they intially have to work with you would know that the cards change a lot from their original concept, so by the time they are produced they should have seen any bad strategies or combos is what I meant about their playtesting.

So I mentioned that I could see it either way, make it legal now or wait. Doesn't matter to me, I just replied to the thread.

I understand you aren't familar with FFG which is why you made the assumption, which is why I corrected that assumption.  But what does not make sense if where you are infering from that it is some sort of thought about imbalance that is behind a policy you weren't aware of.  The cards will eventually be legal.

#20 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

Rogue 4 said:

Playtesting of cards has nothing to do with when they are legal for sanctioned tournament play so I don't know you even bring that up.

If you are not familiar with FFG and the other LCGs making an assumption based on othernon FFG card games can create unnecessary confusion for those who want valid information.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS